AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Nuvo Grande Concerto and Music Port (NV-MPS4) installed and have been enjoying trouble free whole home audio for years. I recently updated my home router (Netgear Nighthawk R8500) and wired Extender (Nighthawk EX700) into which the Music Port connects. This is Netgear's latest home networking equipment.

Now I get the three Red LED flashes on the front panel of the MPS4 which indicates: "DHCP Server cannot be found" in the user manual.

Every other device seems to running fine, but I cannot access the MPS4 and so Pandora and other Internet-based audio doesn't work.

I am suspecting that the firmware needs to be updated in the Music Port but cant find any decent instructions on how to do that when it isn't working on the internet.

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the Nuvo Grande Concerto and Music Port (NV-MPS4) installed and have been enjoying trouble free whole home audio for years. I recently updated my home router (Netgear Nighthawk R8500) and wired Extender (Nighthawk EX700) into which the Music Port connects. This is Netgear's latest home networking equipment.

Now I get the three Red LED flashes on the front panel of the MPS4 which indicates: "DHCP Server cannot be found" in the user manual.

Every other device seems to running fine, but I cannot access the MPS4 and so Pandora and other Internet-based audio doesn't work.

I am suspecting that the firmware needs to be updated in the Music Port but cant find any decent instructions on how to do that when it isn't working on the internet.

Any suggestions??
This doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the music port itself. It sounds more like a networking issue. If you unplug the ethernet cable from the music port, and plug it into your computer, does it work? Any firmware update isn't going to change the way the music port acquires an IP address.

If the cable works, can you set the music port to a static IP and see if it functions correctly? Maybe if it does work you can update this post and someone more Nuvo centric can help you out.

My guess though is that it won't work, and some setting will have to be changed in that nighthawk.

Let us know!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the music port itself. It sounds more like a networking issue. If you unplug the ethernet cable from the music port, and plug it into your computer, does it work? Any firmware update isn't going to change the way the music port acquires an IP address.

If the cable works, can you set the music port to a static IP and see if it functions correctly? Maybe if it does work you can update this post and someone more Nuvo centric can help you out.

My guess though is that it won't work, and some setting will have to be changed in that nighthawk.

Let us know!
Thanks JT - I will try that, but a question. When I connect from PC directly to Music Port thru Ethernet, am I going to the browser to "see if it works"? I can't see it on the network so I don't know its IP address. Will it work to use the "music-port/config" URL?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm not sure that will work, I've never tried to connect to a device directly and use the host name instead of the IP address. The issue here is that your MP is setup for DHCP but is not receiving a DHCP address. You can configure a static IP for the music port through the front panel, just follow this link and find the "setting a static ip" section.

https://www.customchannels.net/setup-lisa-lcd/

Maybe when the MP is set for static it will function correctly on your network. Maybe not. Either way, if you were able to put an unmanaged switch between your computer and the music port (doesn't need to be connected to your router) and then set your computer for a static IP that's different than the music port but within the same subnet you should be able to access the MP from the browser. I believe you can connect directly, but you might need a crossover cable depending on your network card and the card on the music port. You can do all of this, but it doesn't solve the issue of your MP not connecting to the network if it still can't after having been set static.

I would definitely try the original steps that I gave you so that you can figure out if it's the settings of your network gear or the MP player itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JT Babin,

Thank you for this link - it seems to be for a different device: Custom Channels Music Player. I have Nuvo Music Port and don't think this will work on it. But I am going to pursue the static IP approach - it makes some sense. I was unsuccessful getting the Music Port to connect directly to my PC as you indicated below.

I also wonder if the MP only uses a certain IP address range. My Router currently is set up to get the IP from my ISP and on the ATT Uverse system that is in the 10.10.0.1 ++ range. Where as if I define a static range it would be in the more common range: 192.168.1.1++ range. Do you think that could be an issue. My previous router used the 192.168++ range when the MP worked.

Thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
If it's possible it was previously set for a static IP on your previous subet, then changing your LAN subnet to the one it was on before would work. You would need to know the third octet though (third set of numbers, 192.168.X.X). However, if it really is set to DHCP then this won't make a difference. Devices don't really have a preferred subnet.

Did plugging the ethernet wire that goes to the music port work when you plug it into your computer? It will tell you a lot of it does or doesn't.

Sorry for the bum link! Maybe someone who has a music port can tell you how to set the static IP. It could be in the manual too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JT,

When I plugged the MP Ethernet directly into the PC, the MP error lights changed to indicate no LAN was present (which there wasn't) but I could not "see" in on any of my devices not would going to the default MP IP address allow me to run the MP client to set up a static IP address. I'm still trying to do the last troubleshooting you suggested.

Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
358 Posts
When you plug the ethernet cable that normally goes into your MP into your computer and you open up an internet browser does it work or not? Sorry, I'm not sure I understood the last post.

If it does not work then open the start menu, type cmd hit enter, then type ipconfig hit enter and tell me what the LAN (Local Area Network) adapter says next to ipv4. If it does work, the problem is isolated to your MP.

Make sure your network adapter is set for DHCP. (If your computer is static, it tells us nothing).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts