AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone had heard anything from Nuvo. Was dissapointed to see at ISE2015 the lack of any upgrade path for legacy products.
Was rather hoping they would make something for the Grand Concerto line that would help it interface with their new product ecosystem.
It would be good to be able to control their DAB systems e.t.c. from the new interface e.t.c.
Be good if there was something that would interface the new line to NuvoNet e.t.c. or allow you to conreol
Wondered if anyone had any conversations or thoughts.

Just fishing :)

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Just wondering if anyone had heard anything from Nuvo. Was dissapointed to see at ISE2015 the lack of any upgrade path for legacy products.
Was rather hoping they would make something for the Grand Concerto line that would help it interface with their new product ecosystem.
I had a good conversation with their product manager at CEDIA, and others that have pinged them on the same topic since then at least got some encouraging "it's being considered" responses regarding "new" server product(s) to interface to the GC / NuVoNet systems.

The P300 source is a good sign, as that is much closer to what is needed as a companion to the GC. Package four of those into a 1U chassis and stick a NuVoNet interface connection on the back, and they'd have a fantastic replacement for the MPS4. Which would also unify all their products (keypad and zone players) under the same set of Internet service support...

Be good if there was something that would interface the new line to NuvoNet e.t.c. or allow you to conreol
Wondered if anyone had any conversations or thoughts.
Yes, that's exactly the conversation I had with them. Either create a USB-to-NuVoNet interface for the P300 (Player line in general), or package up a replacement for the MPS4 using the Player architecture for us. They could take the P3100, remove the amps, add NuvoNet, and up the price another $500 and I think they'd have a winner.

In the meantime, if you have an MPS4 or a NuVoNet adapter (NV-NNA or NV-MP), and if I can get enough free time to finish it, it's possible to write software to interface between the two systems...

Jeff

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
How about Spotify or slacker support.
Spotify is supposed to come around late Q2/early Q3. That's the only one I've heard that's sort of unofficially confirmed.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Jeff, did you considered to crowdsource your idea, or get some help?
Yeah, I was going through a process of whether or not it was a viable "product", which it isn't, because it will requires a NuVoNet interface (standalone or use the MPS4's pass-through). So I'm more likely just going to post it on Github once I get to a level of finish...

I have to get some clearances to publish code publicly (IP policy with my employer), and it's currently not pretty, as I was using this idea as a reason to learn Python. :D But at least as a proof of concept, it works.

Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the slow reply...

I keep pestering Nuvo: This tweet:

gavindjharper †@gavindjharper Jul 21
@NUVO_Tweets Are there any plans afoot for something that bridges between the new player line and legacy GC systems?

Resulted in this response:

NUVO �@NUVO_Tweets
Hi @gavindjharper, there are no plans to bridge the Player and legacy products. Player Portfolio is being further developed. Stay tuned!

I don't know if what they are saying is that an interface won't be developed to bridge between the existing players and the GC, or if they are saying that the Player Portfolio will eventually include a standalone player that does interface with legacy products.... or if all pre legrand Nuvo customers have just been abandoned to their old systems - which would seem like a epic corporate relations fail if that is the plan.

I think Jeff's work sounds amazing. Just sad he's having to go to such lengths when it would be great to see this sort of product come out of Nuvo directly :(

I followed up with:

gavindjharper †@gavindjharper
No new player to interface with existing GC amps? Guessing lot of @NUVO_Tweets legacy customers will be v. disappointed: or have I misread?

gavindjharper †@gavindjharper
3x P300's in a 19" rack with NuvoNet would seem easy to develop and win @NUVO_Tweets lot of � from existing users looking for upgrade path.

Will keep you updated with responses. Hopefully the legacy Nuvo base can just keep being pests and Nuvo will release something awesome to respond to the latent demand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts