AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the rear of the keypad it has two cat5 connections, one goes to the rear of the GC, what is the other connection port used for? Is it specifically for the LSI24 local source distribution hub. I guess the standard GC have the same option?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream  /t/1525145/nuvo-nv-ctp36-question#post_24551036

On the rear of the keypad it has two cat5 connections, one goes to the rear of the GC, what is the other connection port used for? Is it specifically for the LSI24 local source distribution hub. I guess the standard GC have the same option?

Yes, it's for the Local Source Interrupt / Local Source Amplifier. I wouldn't call those a "hub", though... And yes, it's on the OLED GC keypad as well. (And it works great!)

Reactions: My Dream

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply jautor, I don't have the local distribution (so called hub) yet as I don't know what use I would have for it at the moment. I guess I should rough in another cat5 cable "while I'm at it". Just not sure where I would run it to. I guess the same can be said about the OLED GC keypads as well as I only have one NV-CTP36 and it mounts in the kitchen as it will be used the most.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream  /t/1525145/nuvo-nv-ctp36-question#post_24551338

Thanks for the reply jautor, I don't have the local distribution (so called hub) yet as I don't know what use I would have for it at the moment. I guess I should rough in another cat5 cable "while I'm at it". Just not sure where I would run it to.

Very much depends on what you want to use it for. In these cases I don't think the additional wire "just in case" would be particularly useful - certainly not in every zone.

In my case(s) these were bedrooms where I ran a cat5e from the keypad to the in-wall box behind a wall-mounted display. The speaker wires for that zone are also routed through that location. In those bedrooms I had also positioned the in-ceiling speakers such that they could be used as effective surround channels as well as WHA speakers. My thinking was that if I added a 5.1 system in those bedrooms, the space behind the display was one of the required places speaker wires would have to converge (for the LCR speakers), so it was a reasonable location for the LSI wiring to converge. The alternative would be an outlet-height box where the AVR would be placed. In hindsight, that would have been just as good in my case - as I expected to see "soundbar with external surround channel speaker output" products emerge, which hasn't happened.
Quote:
I guess the same can be said about the OLED GC keypads as well as I only have one NV-CTP36 and it mounts in the kitchen as it will be used the most.

I only considered one location (gameroom) for the CTP36 due to size and cost (I really hate the fact it doesn't fit in a standard 2-gang cutout). And 5 years later, still don't have a need for one, especially with the mobile app support. The OLED does have one distinct advantage - the text is easily readable from across the room (due to text size and high contrast).

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts