AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I bought this amplifier on ebay. I downloaded and installed the NV-I8G NV-E6G Configurator.exe program. When connected to a computer via RS232 (via an RS232 to USB adapter), nothing happens. I chose the com port number in the program. not connected. where to look? How to diagnose an amplifier? I also connected using the ComTester program, trying to send at least some command and get at least some answer, combining all kinds of port options. to no avail

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Did you null the connection to see if that corrected anything?

You will also want to be sure that you have your COM settings set accurately in your computer and that you are definitely pointing everything at the proper COM port.

I try to ensure that my serial adapter is on COM 1 on my laptop so that it remains as compatible as possible.

Also check online to ensure the RS232 adapter is as reliable as possible. Many adapters aren't the best.

6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you null the connection to see if that corrected anything
Also check online to ensure the RS232 adapter is as reliable as possible. Many adapters aren't the best.
I connected to different computers with different operating systems. Tried various rs232 to USB adapters. The COM port is 100% correctly connected and selected. I also tried to set different data transfer speeds between devices. Does not help. the instructions say that if there is no answer from the amplifier, there is a problem with the motherboard. Is it repairable or how is it diagnosed? there is also one nuance, the amplifier was previously operated in the USA (at 110V), now it is in Europe (220V). Before the first inclusion, we forgot about this nuance. and turned it on. Nothing happened. We remembered the difference in voltage and, having disassembled the amplifier, switched the terminals to a voltage of 220V. the transformer windings rang with a multimeter - all voltages are normal. Fuses are whole. Is it possible that the motherboard died on the first start-up?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Are any LEDs on? Blue?
What Com settings are you using?
I seem to remember that the Configuration application has some speed setting within the program as well?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Blue is good, but still confused. How could the fuse not blow up ?

Hmm...
What do you have under the File, Preferences? (I may be wrong about this)

Do you have any oled pads to attach to the Nuvonet socket?

Otherwise try this:
- Use any Terminal sw, e.g. RealTerm
- Set the serial port to 57600 baud, no parity and 1 stop bit. No hardware/software handshaking is required.
- Issue the command: *VER

You should get this response back:
-#VER"NV-I8G FWv2.66 HWv2"

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-h...dernization-preservation-16.html#post58799280

·
Registered
294 Posts
Have you attempted to hook up a keypad to NuVonet and see if you can configure the system at all using the keypad? It’s possible that you can get a little further down the line by modifying the existing configuration enough that you will at least have use of the system.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I think there are 2 RS-232 ports on the back of the GC.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,313 Posts
Depending on how that windows app was written, com port access may require administrator privileges in windows 7 and newer. Your first error indicates that the com port was not initialized. I'd start by trying to run the program "as adminstrator" and see if it gets you anywhere else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
RS232 can be a real bear to troubleshoot. There are lots of things that need to be right.

In the simplest case, a loop back connector with just Rx and Tx works. With the loop-back connector, a lot of stuff doesn't matter yet. Baud, parity etc. don't matter yet.

Start with a terminal program with no handshaking and local echo. If you get something, you would get 2 characters for every one you type.

https://www.pccompci.com/rs232-cable-technology.html

An Rs422 port (an old Macintosh) can sometimes be convinced to operate in an RS232 mode. It usually worked when connected to modems.

In one case, it did not work. It was for a motion controller. The levels had to be higher than +-5V. The old specs had -3 to -25 and +3 to _+25, I believe. Watch out for "TTL Serial" which is a conflict in itself. That is really TTL serial and the output is usually inverted. Those interfaces are not compatable.

A true RS232 interface is very forgiving. Any pin can connect to any pin without damage.

One piece of equipment used DTR and DSR instead of RTS and CTS.

6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hi guys.
I tried all the options and a bunch of adapters.
Did not help.
I do as follows:
1. Connected RX, TX and adapter ground to 2,3,5 pins of 232 ports of NUVO.
2. I downloaded the COM_TESTER program, in it I selected the port, speed and entered the * VER command in the HEX format (seen in the screenshot)
3. I send this command to NUVO and .... nothing happens :(
4. I'm crying. Because I bought the goods on EBAY, and it does not seem to be working. The seller can’t get through, as I bought through an intermediary from America to Ukraine (there are no direct deliveries to my country).

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hm...

Just to eliminate other problems that I cannot compare with, please
1) download Realterm.exe
2) set all parameters as I wrote previously
3) issue *VER and do not forget the carriage return. It is necessary after each NuVo command.

6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hm...

Just to eliminate other problems that I cannot compare with, please
1) download Realterm.exe
2) set all parameters as I wrote previously
3) issue *VER and do not forget the carriage return. It is necessary after each NuVo command.
Hi. Did everything. See screenshots. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am sorry. You have taken the correct steps.
Can you test your adapter on some other serial port?
Do you have Nuvo Keypads to connect to the NuvoNet?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Have you connected pin 2 to pin 3 as a loopback connection to ensure you have proper communication to your COM? This is always an early step of troubleshooting.

You can be 100% sure everything is right, then still have something which is wrong with the COM itself. Performing a loopback test, external from the Nuvo is a pretty early test to try if you can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. I bought this amplifier on ebay. I downloaded and installed the NV-I8G NV-E6G Configurator.exe program. When connected to a computer via RS232 (via an RS232 to USB adapter), nothing happens. I chose the com port number in the program. not connected. where to look? How to diagnose an amplifier? I also connected using the ComTester program, trying to send at least some command and get at least some answer, combining all kinds of port options. to no avail
try this:

An go direct from the pc to the nuvo. Do not go through the Music Port, that seemed to not work for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts