AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Holy ****, it's really there! In the advanced Video settings tab!



0-255 gives me a deeper and crisper image whereas 16-235 seems brighter, but a lot more flat and dull.


Tested with I know what you did last summer Blu-ray in PowerDVD 8 Ultra.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
Yes, I tried them out yesterday.

Works fine for me.

My TV is calibrated to video levels (16-235), and I can finally stop seeing crushed blacks.


CFC
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,402 Posts
Finally!
This is the first driver since 163.75 that gives me uniform levels in VMC and PDVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Big Big thanks, this is the best driver ever,now i have a reason to watch all my movies again,just unbelievable with the 0-255 setup,is like i have totally oder monitor,tank you all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I've been using this driver for the past few days and I love it. Having the ability to set video levels in the control panel is a huge plus, since beforehand I had to rely on some obscure options page within MCE2005 with the Purevideo MPEG2 decoder installed.


Gaming performance is also great, for those who care.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Does the black crush disappear from games and apps and the desktop, or only video? I have a 16-235 HDTV that cannot be adjusted and I get black crush in EVERYTHING (arrgh). Anyone know? I will try it too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaedrusGalt /forum/post/14297237


Does the black crush disappear from games and apps and the desktop, or only video? I have a 16-235 HDTV that cannot be adjusted and I get black crush in EVERYTHING (arrgh). Anyone know? I will try it too.

It appears to only work with movies.
But the very fact that it's available at all suggests there might be a hack to turn on 'Limited Dynamic Range (16-235)' ALL the time. That would be excellent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/14298687


doesn't seem to work for me at all on an 8200 mobo w/ HDMI.


Does your card use HDMI out? As in, an HDMI port is built directly onto your video card (cool!)? My belief (apparently inaccurate) was that the cards would output PC color space (0-255) over DVI/VGA, but would be smart enough to know that anyone using an HDMI output would be connecting the card to an HDTV which use non-PC color space (16-235). I guess not!!! I had been thinking of buying a 9800 GX2 because they've got a built-in HDMI output - I thought that would solve the problem once and for all, with the card ALWAYS outputting in non-PC color space (16-235). Maybe you just saved me several hundred dollars for a destined-to-fail experiment.


Thanks, sotti. And any other comments or ideas you've got would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaedrusGalt /forum/post/14298817


Does your card use HDMI out? As in, an HDMI port is built directly onto your video card (cool!)? My belief (apparently inaccurate) was that the cards would output PC color space (0-255) over DVI/VGA, but would be smart enough to know that anyone using an HDMI output would be connecting the card to an HDTV which use non-PC color space (16-235). I guess not!!! I had been thinking of buying a 9800 GX2 because they've got a built-in HDMI output - I thought that would solve the problem once and for all, with the card ALWAYS outputting in non-PC color space (16-235). Maybe you just saved me several hundred dollars for a destined-to-fail experiment.


Thanks, sotti. And any other comments or ideas you've got would be appreciated.


the 8200 is a motherboard, with integrated graphics, and yes has an HDMI port right on the board.


No none of the cards ever do 16-235 for the desktop (also games) so the disparity between video levels and PC levels will continue to be a problem until someone writes it in their driver for windows to have the contracted color space, but even then I don't think that will happen anytime soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
I just installed the new drivers and the new option works with my 8800GT. I still have the VMR9 zooming bug, but the color space fix makes me really happy.


Does anyone have an opinion on whether the dynamic contrast and color enhancement are worth it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/14299559


No none of the cards ever do 16-235 for the desktop (also games) .....


All ATI cards can, either automatically via the HDMI dongle or using the desktop colour controls in CCC.


Of course, ATI suck in other ways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadianton /forum/post/14299776


I just installed the new drivers and the new option works with my 8800GT. I still have the VMR9 zooming bug, but the color space fix makes me really happy.


Does anyone have an opinion on whether the dynamic contrast and color enhancement are worth it?

Dynamic contrast is crap. Image looks blown up and artificially brightened with this enabled, but I like the color enhancement. Gives me better colors.


Btw: You can pause a movie and then try the colorspace settings and decide which setting looks better. It works on paused video.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Since installing this driver on my 8200'er board (Vista 32bite) i only get a blank screen in TMT and powerdvd tells me that the driver is not compatible in order to play blurays. So another crap driver release from nvidia for us 8200'er user!



TheMule!
 
1 - 20 of 117 Posts
Top