AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to get my HTCP connected to an IF7200 clone (Knoll Systems HD272) via a pacificcable DVI cable, and I'm getting nothing... no signal. using the latest nvidia drivers (53.something)... what am i doing wrong?

source is enabled on the projector, but whether selected manually (as source 1) or using autoscan, no picture. help please

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Try downloading Powerstrip and using the supplied custom resolution for 1280x720, DVI derived. Also, make sure you turn on your projector before you turn on your PC, since the DVI output of the 5700 will turn off unless it senses that it is connected to a monitor. And try other resolutions that the DLP supports. Unfortunately, many of these DLPs are very picky in what they will accept as a 1280x720 resolution, and the n'vidia 1280x720 is nonstandard. I finally gave up trying to make my DLP accept 1280x720 from my FX5600, and swapped in an ATI 9600. With a few minutes of futzing it was working fine.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Could be a bad input on the projector, did you try any other device/computer to that input? My DVI input on my TV just went bad (worked fine prior to the other day) and now only device that I can send to it would be a STB with DVI out, I verified that it did not work by trying another computer, video card, and 2 different cables, I would recommend the same type of trouble-shooting.

Jim

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unfortunately, the only video card i have w/ dvi is the 5700. i'll try your suggestions and report back. thanks for the help

btw, what's nonstandard about nvidia's 1280x720?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Quote:
and the n'vidia 1280x720 is nonstandard. I finally gave up trying to make my DLP accept 1280x720 from my FX5600, and swapped in an ATI 9600. With a few minutes of futzing it was working fine.

Same here with 3 NVIDIA 5600 cards ( Asus, Albatron ) I tried recently. My HT300+ did not accept 1280x720 from any of the NVIDIA cards whereas Matrox and ATI cards worked fine right out of the box or with Powerstrip.

Maybe NVIDIA should fix their non standard way some day ... ?? Maybe CinemaVidGuy can respond to this problem ? He is posting regularily on this forum and works for NVIDIA.

midiboy

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
booted up w/ the projector already on and connected (typical no signal blank screen), and still got nothing. powerstrip didn't help either...

other than replacing the nvidia, what are my options?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Can you get it to work at another resolution supported by the projector? Have you tried the various 1280x720 custom resolutions found in Powerstrip? Unfortunately, it may be that you'll only get it to work with an ATI based card. At least, that is my experience.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ah great CinemaVidGuy is responding ! Thats what I hoped for !

I no longer have any NVIDIA card @home for testing, but I can tell you this:

My configuration was like this:

Monitor1: DVI 1: TFT 1600x1200

Monitor2: DVI2: Sim2 HT300+ 1280x720

Dual independant Monitor configuration, did NOT use clone mode etc.

Every other standard resolution but 1280x720 worked fine. @1280x720 the HT300+ did not find a signal to connect to.

I tried the Asus 5600 Dual DVI, the Asus 5200 Dual DVI and some cheap Albatron 5200 card. With this latter card, I think, I also tried single monitor configuration using just the one DVI port and it did not work either @1280x720. I used the latest NVIDIA drivers at that time, I think it was the first 5xx release.

I tried with the standard 1280x720 resolution that NVIDIA provided with its driver and I tried each and every 1280x720 profile Powerstrip provided. I even tried making my own PS profile and played around hours with different porch settings and other timing values in PS but I simply could not get the projector to show a signal.

With my Matrox P650 which I am now using, I do not have any troubles, the same applies to all the ATI cards I have used over the years.

But this problem goes waaay back ! I used to have another projector at the beginning of 2003 and I tried to get 1280x720 to work with it using an old MSI 4400 NVIDIA card. It did not work back then and this has not changed.

So maybe you, or someone else at NVIDIA can finally find a solution for this because some day I might want to get another video card again ....

:D

Hope I could help,

Alex

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm using it as a secondary monitor, using the clone -> analog display + digital display mode... tried other resolutions, and nothing... very disappointing - thought my projector was shot...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CinemVidGuy
The driver folks are aware of the DVI issues that you guys have been experiencing and these issues are being addressed.

Right now, with 53.03, the driver will only work on DVI with display devices that are returning valid EDID information when used as the primary single monitor.
We are fortunate to have an NVidia rep on this board and i hope that you may be able to help with the following problem that many members have trying to hook up their PC to HDTV via DVI with NVidia video cards.

In my case, i have an MSI NVidia G4TI4200(53.03 driver) connected to Sony GWIII LCD HDRPTV via DVI. The TV is used as a single monitor(Windows XP std flat screen plug &play driver). While the TV native res is 1386X788p, the max res i can get is 848X480p. With 1280X720p, i get a virtuel desktop.

Mike50

·
Registered
343 Posts
Quote:
The driver folks are aware of the DVI issues that you guys have been experiencing and these issues are being addressed.
Well, at least there is hope ! :)

Any idea when this will be resolved ? :)

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'd settle for ANY resolution at this point, even 800x600... now thinking the M1DA port is dead... at least there's two working component inputs, but not from my PC...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a Sony projector VPL-HS20 and have been killing myself trying to get my Nvidia Dual DVI Geforce fx 5200 to drive the projector to at least 1280x768 but I too only get virtual desktops at resolutions over 1024 x 768. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'd hate to spend time and money on another video card.

If anyone has any updates or workarounds on the NVIDIA and DVI issue, please help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry for not updating this thread... got a different DVI cable from Lindy (and a DVI-M1DA adapter), and now everything works just fine on 1280x720

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
jovie,

Just to be clear on your suggestion, are you running DVI-D out from you n/vidia card to your projector? If so, what driver are you using, and how did you set it up to make it work?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, I finally got my HS20 running at 1280 x 768.

Because Nvidia insists on reading the DDC data from the projector in order to determine the max resolution, I could only get a virtual desktop at any resolution over 1024x768 (DDC data). I found a workaround which is as follows.

I attach my LCD monitor with a resolution of 1280x1024 to the primary DVI output on my Geforece5200 (ASUS). I use the Nvidia display config to verify the max resolution of my flat panel display has increased to 1280x1024. I change the resolution of my LCD to 1280x768x60hz, which is distorted on my 4:3 lcd. I then unplug my LCD and attach my VPL-HS20. Unbelievably, it works! It even works consistently.

Now, IMO, this solution sucks, but its the only workaround I know of. I'm working through the Forceware 53.55 drivers now but I'm getting the same problem.

If anyone has a solution to 1:1 mapping with the HS20 and Nvidia card, please let us know.

ProjectorMD

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vidkidd
Goto Guru3d.com and get the latest V56 or later detonator. It will solve all your problems.
V56.56 did not seem to change the 1024x768 limit on my HS20/4600 combination. No joy with the native nVidia controls or PowerStrip. What did it fix for you?

John Brisbin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.