Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just got a shuttle and nvidia 6600gt setup for my wife and kid to watch the IMAX wmvhd dvd discs I got them for christmas. I was testing it out last night on my 50phd8uk plasma running 1366x768 and dvi using the dvi port farthest from the motherboard. For the most part the 1080p demo clips I downloaded from microsoft play great with windows media 10. But every once in a while there is tearing and it is quite annoying.

I did a search on this forum and found the nvidia cards are known for this, and I found a solution, but I think it was only for zoomplayer. This is a fresh XP SP2 install with all the windows updates and the nvidia driver package from december 9th.

Is there any solution for windows media 10? If not what video card should I buy?

I tried 1360x768, 1368x768 as well, and they all have the same tearing problem.

Thanks!

Bob C

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Ouch! You mean you really use WMP for anything else than compatibility? ;) Seriously, if those discs are anything like DVD's you need to go renderless. That's supported on at least ZoomPlayer and TheaterTek. I use ZP, mostly because of the unlimited setup and control options. Why not get it? I'm guessing that it can't be more expensive than one of those discs you bought, and it should support fully everything that WMP is able to play badly.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks. I was hoping someone such as yourself would tell me that zoomplayer or theatertek can play wmvhd and do renderless.

Bob C

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I think it should, yes. There's a trial version, so it's no problem to test it. Remember to download the WMV version, there's a special one for that.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool I'll give it a whirl. I also see nvidia has a new driver pack just released Dec 21st. I have some downloading to do tonight.

Thanks again,

Bob C

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Ah! I gotta get that driver too! I'm about to have my projector set up professionally in a few weeks, and everything has to be set in stone by then. No changes to the HTPC from then and to the next time I have my tech guy around.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Just a followup.

I went ahead and tried all the renderless suggestions in zoomplayer, and it still had just as much flashing and tearing as wmp10. The colors were actually much more vibrant in wmp10 than zoomplayer. I don't know if that is artificial, or if zoomplayer has a problem in that area... but there is definetely a difference with the default picture settings between zoomplayer and wmp10.

So at this point I think its time to try another video card. Can anyone confirm if the nvidia 7800 series cards don't have this problem?

Thanks,

Bob C

·
Registered
665 Posts
Explain how you enabled renderless AND full screen exculsive in ZP? WMP10 does not use VMR9 so it will use a different color scale. Expect to calibrate your display when moving to VMR9 as you probably had it calibrated for the PC color space and not the video color space used by VMR9.

THe 7x series has the same tearing issues as all of the nVidia cards. Unless you are having a different issue than what others get.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
TT will also do renderless wmv well.

Be sure you have a good Nvidia driver for your card. I think the 81.98 driver will work. The frame rate is also quite iimportant.

Joel

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Quote:
I went ahead and tried all the renderless suggestions in zoomplayer
Did you remember to set the "Use exclusive full screen mode with the VMR9 Renderless Video Renderer" option in the "Filter Control" section for ZP?

The 7800 should work well and the best driver is currently 82.12. I have had no problems with the 6600 either, though. Both TT and ZP work fine in renderless mode, although TT actually has a GUI that works in renderless FS mode.

Vern

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Vern, I use 81.98 on my 6600. Would that be the best driver on that one?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mlbdude,

I just went into the advanced menu of ZP and went to the filter control and checked the VMR9 renderless. It plays fullscreen fine, but with the same tearing that happens in WMP10. What I forgot to add is that if played long enough into the movie, the tearing stops! Explain that...

I'm at work, and will play more with it when I get home. I'm running 60Hz so I doubt that is the problem. Since it stops tearing when played long enough into the movie, I think it is indeed a hardware based problem with the nvidia card.

Bob C

·
Registered
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc
mlbdude,

I just went into the advanced menu of ZP and went to the filter control and checked the VMR9 renderless. It plays fullscreen fine, but with the same tearing that happens in WMP10. What I forgot to add is that if played long enough into the movie, the tearing stops! Explain that...

I'm at work, and will play more with it when I get home. I'm running 60Hz so I doubt that is the problem. Since it stops tearing when played long enough into the movie, I think it is indeed a hardware based problem with the nvidia card.

Bob C
Doing what you say here will not stop tearing. You also need to enable Full Screen Exclusive in Filter Control \\ Settings config menu. Renderless alone will not do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.