AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just updated my 6150 based mobo. Now Purevideo will run HD with VMR9 without the wavy de-interlacing errors, but it still stutters and tears. As normal Overlay works fine.


FWIW, this is watching live HDTV w/ Beyond TV.


-Suntan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
When is nV going to fix component out. It's been broken for a long time. It didn't work on my 6200 and it doesn't work on my 6600GT...I'm still running 78.03 drivers :(.


I was looking in the release notes and they mentioned that component out was broken on 6600 cards in MCE 2005 and that it was fixed with a BIOS revision to the card. They did not mention WinXP or 6200 or 6600GT cards. :mad:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
The component out is supported, but I'm guessing you are using a dongle on your vid card for this. That dongle needs drivers to identify it and tell the computer how it works. Those drivers are from the vid card manufacturer. This isn't Nvidia's fault it's your video card's manufacturer's fault. Contact the maker of your vid card and complain and maybe it will get fixed. Complaining to Nvidia will get you nowhere since it's not their software that's malfunctioning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
Looks like nVidia screwed us on this and we are stuck using the 7x series drivers. That is pretty crappy of them. Last one or me I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Nice.. :mad:


Putting together an HTPC (sage client + ripped dvd playback) for the bedroom. After monthes of reading rave comments about the 6600gt I bought one instead of another ATI card. I wish I had found this thread before I ordered it.


I hope they resolve this so that this is not my last nvidia based card.


Jesse
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCamel
The component out is supported, but I'm guessing you are using a dongle on your vid card for this. That dongle needs drivers to identify it and tell the computer how it works. Those drivers are from the vid card manufacturer. This isn't Nvidia's fault it's your video card's manufacturer's fault. Contact the maker of your vid card and complain and maybe it will get fixed. Complaining to Nvidia will get you nowhere since it's not their software that's malfunctioning.
Not quite true. Most 6600/GT cards comes with the component out from nVidia's reference design. In the past, such cards are called Personal Cinema(extra $$) and also from nVidia reference design. nVidia provides chips for all of them as well as driver support. And the fact older driver works but new one doesn't put the blame on nVidia. But, it is also true in theory that end users should ask mfg for driver support instead of nVidia directly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCamel
The component out is supported, but I'm guessing you are using a dongle on your vid card for this. That dongle needs drivers to identify it and tell the computer how it works. Those drivers are from the vid card manufacturer. This isn't Nvidia's fault it's your video card's manufacturer's fault. Contact the maker of your vid card and complain and maybe it will get fixed. Complaining to Nvidia will get you nowhere since it's not their software that's malfunctioning.
Actually it is nVidia software that is malfunctioning.


During BIOS boot, the HDTV dongle works fine. Output and colors are correct. That means the card is working fine as well as the BIOS.


Only once the Windows nVidia drivers load do you see the problem. The specific problem is the component output option has disappeared and it isn't clear what is being sent on the Pb and Pr outputs. The Y output is still usable, but at 480p. If you remove the Pb Pr outputs, you at least get a black/white image that doesn't have the checkerboard pattern.


Since the component output option is missing from the driver UI, the users cannot select component output, only TV output of NTSC is availabe. Since the drivers recognize you have TV output in the first place (those options are not present w/o the dongle connected) the drivers clearly are capable of configuring some aspects of TV usage.


Anyway, since you can't configure component, you are also unable to select 720p/1080i because those options are only available once the output method is switched from composite to component.


This worked for all unified nVidia drivers prior to 8x.xx (I tested up to 71.xx) so this is clearly an nVidia problem, not the vendor.


Now if nVidia changed the way they detect TV out and now need a subsequent BIOS update to match their new detection method, then that IMO is still an nVidia problem, though if I was nVidia I'd just figure out what changed and back it out because updating BIOS could cause more support issues for them in the long run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
Actually it is nVidia software that is malfunctioning.


During BIOS boot, the HDTV dongle works fine. Output and colors are correct. That means the card is working fine as well as the BIOS.


Only once the Windows nVidia drivers load do you see the problem. The specific problem is the component output option has disappeared and it isn't clear what is being sent on the Pb and Pr outputs. The Y output is still usable, but at 480p. If you remove the Pb Pr outputs, you at least get a black/white image that doesn't have the checkerboard pattern.


Since the component output option is missing from the driver UI, the users cannot select component output, only TV output of NTSC is availabe. Since the drivers recognize you have TV output in the first place (those options are not present w/o the dongle connected) the drivers clearly are capable of configuring some aspects of TV usage.


Anyway, since you can't configure component, you are also unable to select 720p/1080i because those options are only available once the output method is switched from composite to component.


This worked for all unified nVidia drivers prior to 8x.xx (I tested up to 71.xx) so this is clearly an nVidia problem, not the vendor.


Now if nVidia changed the way they detect TV out and now need a subsequent BIOS update to match their new detection method, then that IMO is still an nVidia problem, though if I was nVidia I'd just figure out what changed and back it out because updating BIOS could cause more support issues for them in the long run.
I've just run into this issue on my HTPC. Could it be that NVIDIA has blocked HD component output? Did Hollywood get them to close the analog hd output?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Quote:
Could it be that NVIDIA has blocked HD component output? Did Hollywood get them to close the analog hd output?
I was wondering the same thing. Figured I was just being paranoid.


Let me guess, dvi ---> hdmi still works, right?


Jesse
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
I'm a little fuzzy on what you guys are talking about. I'm running a 6600GT (in my z555) with the 81.98 drivers, over component out at 720p without any problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie
I'm a little fuzzy on what you guys are talking about. I'm running a 6600GT (in my z555) with the 81.98 drivers, over component out at 720p without any problems.
Hope it is just a firmware issue. Will contact LeadTek.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHarris
Nice.. :mad:


Putting together an HTPC (sage client + ripped dvd playback) for the bedroom. After monthes of reading rave comments about the 6600gt I buy one instead of another ATI card. I wish I had found this thread before I ordered it.

Jesse
If you based your purchase decisions on problems reported in forums like these, you'd not buy any card. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie
I'm a little fuzzy on what you guys are talking about. I'm running a 6600GT (in my z555) with the 81.98 drivers, over component out at 720p without any problems.
Are you using an HDTV breakout pod?


When you configure the TV out do you see composite, svideo, SCART or do you also see an option for component?


Basically you are supposed to configure the drivers on how to use the HDTV breakout pod. In past drivers, either it auto-selected component or allowed you to select component after windows started up. With 8x.xx drivers and many cards, you can no longer choose component out. If you can't choose component out, then you can't choose 720p/1080i because those are not supported over composite or svideo.


If you are using the HDTV breakout pod, it would be nice to isolate what is different between your setup and the ones on this thread. It could be you have newer BIOS version which is rumored to work well with the TV detection in the newer drivers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,344 Posts
"I'm a little fuzzy on what you guys are talking about. I'm running a 6600GT (in my z555) with the 81.98 drivers, over component out at 720p without any problems. "


let me guess... you had a working component out setup with 7X.XX drivers, and all you've ever done is upgrade drivers, right? Go and try changing the outputs.... :D


:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie
I'm a little fuzzy on what you guys are talking about. I'm running a 6600GT (in my z555) with the 81.98 drivers, over component out at 720p without any problems.
This problem does not happen with all 6600GT card. There were a thread list the cards that have problem. I have the MSI 6600GT PCIE card that have the problem. My other card, Gigabyte 6600GT AGP, does not have this problem.

Here is the thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=594925


I have seen couple of post saying that it's fixed in new bios. However, it's up to the manufacture to release the bios not NVIDIA. We have to find out a way to force the manufacture to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Ah...gotcha. My z555 HTPC has the 6600GT built-in, so I'm not certain it has the "pod." I have hard-wired component outputs on the back panel of the machine. jimwhite was right, I've had component working from the 7x.xx series, and just continued to upgrade. I don't think I'm going to change anything, however! :)


Thanks for clearing it up for me. I do hope Nvidia addresses the issue. I know my machine wouldn't run DVD's off component beyond 480i, which was annoying. I added the AnyDVD software, and no more problem, however. It's insipid to think the manufacturer's won't support HD over component. They need to get that addressed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan
Don't know if there are significant changes, but one of the bullet points refers to HD De-interlacing in Purevideo.

http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=25477


-Suntan
If you look at the PDF file of the release notes, you'll see no mention of that, yet it's been in the short list for the last several driver revisions.

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/8...ease_Notes.pdf


See the following:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.95.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.94.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.85.html
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top