AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running Win7 32bit, Intel Core i5 750 on an ASRock P55 Extreme mobo.

Using the 8400GS because the 55" Sony HD RPTV only has component inputs.

If I have to reboot the system, the Sony will show the ASRock splash screen and all the other usual boot-up information. But when it gets to the Windows desktop, all I get some blue image that's unsync'd. Here's the workaround:

Shut down computer.

Disconnect component cables from RPTV and hook up to 720p LCD.

Boot the computer.

When the Windows desktop appears on the LCD, unhook the component cables and hook back to the RPTV. Presto. Everything's fine and will continue to be fine until next reboot. It even wakes up just fine, displaying 1080i.

Win7 display settings are set to 1920 X 1080 @ 29hz

sidebar..

I have noticed that a lot of features in the Nvidea control panel just don't work. Resizing controls, for example. The overscan on the desktop is considerable and clicking the buttons to resize it does nothing. It's not much of an issue since WMC's "TV" setting rectifies it, displaying everything exactly as my other boxes do. (And, yes, I've had the set calibrated and the set's overscan eliminated)

The reboot issue is only a minor annoyance as the box seems happy to stay up for a week or two at a time. So, it doesn't get a reboot often. But I thought I'd dig and see if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks

Doc

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
It's a Windows7 problem. They have basically stopped supporting older sets like we have. When I set up W7 it would go to final setup then get the funny lines like you have. I figured that W7 was using a 720p resolution by default (my TV doesn't support 720p). I had to finish setting it up on DVI then go back to component (My Mits ws65513 has both, component actually looks better).

The Nvidia control resizing is hosed, doesn't work through component video (I have the same 8400 video card). I went into the service menu of my TV and adjusted the overscan down to 2-3%, only about 1/2 the taskbar is cut off now.

One day I'll be able to afford to replace my 65" Display but until then I'll just have to live with the lack of support for older displays. My 42" LG in the bedroom works great with HDMI, totally plug and play.

·
Super Moderator
18,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information.

Yeah, with the overscan corrected on the set and the thing calibrated, it's going to be a long time before I replace it. And nothing beats a CRT for motion. Yet. I almost went the HDFury route just so I could use a smaller form factor with the case.. and a lot less copper.

Oh, well. At least I know it's not a setting I missed.

Doc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts