AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some real help with this one. its been baffling me for a few months now!

I built a htpc and am trying to just get video to STAY UP for more than a day at a time. with my ati card, it works and rarely exits. on any NV card I tried, it ALWAYS exits, sometimes in a few hours or a day later. but the nv card will ALWAYS lose video. always. just a matter of time.

my setup: pc is a conroe system with e6600 and 2gb of ram. I keep the system very depopulated (turning off serial, printer port and even onboard ethernet). I run usb spdif audio (which is the most harmless in terms of interrupts or conflicts). I've swapped between an asrock board and also an intel bad axe2 board. ZERO DIFFERENCE in stability - both show the exact same problem.

nv cards I've tried are all 7 series. I tried 2 gigabyte 7600gt cards (one with the old style heatsink and one with the thinner pipe2 style). my latest nv card is a cheapie 7300le with vga and dvi.

the ati card is a 1650pro, also fanless. I use the omega drivers for ati and the very latest (just released this week) drivers from nvidia.

I disable ALL power savings. all. lock the pc to 'always on'. I keep the pc 100% off the net - it never touched a public net. never. so zero chance of malware.

I install xp, cdrom based patches/updates and windvd5 (that's mostly it!). see, I really do keep a very minimal system. there should be NO reason for wonkiness ;(

I've run prime95 (dual) overnight and memtest86org. they show no errors. also, I don't overclock. not ever.

so, what do I mean by video 'exiting'? the system is still up and running, I can see ethernet packets coming in (from my hdtv tuner, the HDHR box) and I can hear audio coming out of the spdif port. the system IS a live. but no dvi video. when I turn my video monitor back on in the AM, the next day, there will be the usual message 'no input signal found'. this happens ONLY on dvi - that's a significant key, here.

what's weird is that the ati card with dvi NEVER loses video on its own, like that. I can leave the computer on for a week or more and each day when I wake up and turn on the TV again, the desktop (xp pro) is still there and I can do stuff just fine.

swap out the ati card, change drivers to nv and re-do the test. almost every time I do this, the next day the video 'goes away' (never resyncs again until a system reset).

it almost looks like a power saving feature on the video card?? could that be possible? but hitting keys on the keyboard won't wake up video. nothing will. only a reboot will - then its fine until it 'wonks out' again, hours or days later.

this is driving me up the wall. 2 gigabyte 7600gt nv cards and 1 7300le from MSI. all do the same thing! all lose video in a short period of time.

well, one minor caveat to that: when I use vga video from the nv card, it SEEMS to stay up and not exit. so I'm really thinking this is something about 'off tolerance' dvi that works for a while, drifts and then loses sync and never comes back until a reset. I don't WANT to run vga - the whole point is to run pure digital. pure digital/dvi on ati is fine. vga on nv is 'fine' - but dvi will exit video 100% guaranteed, in some period of time later.

my tv is a 32" lcd noname brand (vivitek). it has a white dvi connector on the back and also a vga input (plus s-video). its not 'native hdmi' on the connector but inside, I'm suspecting that its an hdmi chipset with just a white dvi connector on the outside. I think this MAY be significant as it MAY be the tv's fault and not the video card's!

has anyone seen anything like this before?

note: when I tried linux on that very same pc and used the nvidia binary driver for xwindows, it ALSO does the same exact thing!! video 'exits' but system keeps running (I can telnet to it, etc). again, ONLY on nvidia series 7 cards (that I've tried). my ati works fine.

is this a dvi/hgmi compatibility issue? I cannot see it as anything else, at this point. my winxp install is fine (redid it many times). my linux install is also ok. the computer passes all self-tests (p95, etc). I am using good hardware. I have been building systems (not video, though) for 15yrs or more.

this has totally baffled me. any ideas at all??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Was having a similar problem and found this...

Q: How can I stop my Nvidia video card from losing its DVI connection when I switch away from it on Windows?

A: Go to the Start Menu->Run... and then Type services.msc

Disable the Nvidia Display Driver Service and restart the machine.

You shouldn't have to reboot here - just stop this service and set it to disabled.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks.

I did find that (late last nite!) and tried it. hopefully ..... (oh rats). nope, didn't work for me.

so I ponied up the $70 (deep sigh) for this EDID detective dongle. it was explained to me that the video card is 100% at fault for halting video-out on dvi if the remote device (display) is:

- unplugged (power removed or a/c switched off from stereo)

- cable removed

either condition causes the remote entity to 'not be there' for any edid queries fro the video card.

the vid card, then, IMPOLITELY AND WITHOUT RHYME OR REASON just stops pumping out dvi video.

on analog vga, this never happens. you can hook and unhook the cable for your crt or even lcd (via vga) all day long and the card won't EVER stop sending data to the display - there or not.

the edid dongle always replies back to the vid card's queries and so it always 'keeps it alive' (as was explained to me).

this really bites. really. but if it solves the problem, I guess that will be that.

but just think - my card was $30 (great sale, brand new, 7300le). the dongle to FIX the broke bad-mf'ing design - $70. over 2x the cost of the card to FIX a bad politics design on the video card.

I'm shaking my head in disbelief, even as I write this...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieGriffin /forum/post/0

Was having a similar problem and found this...

Q: How can I stop my Nvidia video card from losing its DVI connection when I switch away from it on Windows?

A: Go to the Start Menu->Run... and then Type services.msc

Disable the Nvidia Display Driver Service and restart the machine.

You shouldn't have to reboot here - just stop this service and set it to disabled.

does anyone know what that 'service' is SUPPOSED to be doing?

if the card works 100% fine without it. uhh..... so what's the point of the service? I assume its some sneaky underhanded thing - probably more hdcp junk? anyone know?

stopping the service did not help with the latest nv drivers (from last week) and my card (nv 7300le).

I did stop the service and kept it off - but WHY is it there?

(ati has a 'hot key poller' daemon that also insists on running at startup. is that the ati equiv of this?)

I'm expecting my EDID dongle today to work-around the 'video exiting' problem. sheesh - $70 for a fix to a $30 vid card (really!)

someone should sue nv and ati over this. I'm serious!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.