AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
a google search led me to a 7 year old avs post by @Chronoptimist (shown below) that touches on what i'm trying to figure out, and i'm hoping someone might be able to help me out.

i've been experimenting with nvidia custom resolutions, including a 1920 x 817 rez as shown below in the quoted old post, and it's a very straightforward process... the problem is additional nvcp settings such "output color depth" and "output color format" don't work with any custom resolutions, why not?

for example if i select a stock resolution of 1920 x 1080 from the nvidia control panel, under "output color format" i can select rgb, ycbcr422 or ycbcr444, and from there, under "output color depth", i can select 8, 10 or 12 bpc.

but these options either aren't available or won't stick when using a custom resolution such a 1920 x 817, why is that?

muddying the waters, custom resolutions and color formats can easily be done if you're using the intel's igpu instead of a discreet card by simply going into the "intel graphics experience" app, so why can't it be done using nvidia's control panel?

adding to the problem, because you can't select a color format and/or a color depth when using a custom resolution set in the nvidia control panel, and instead are forced to use the default settings (8 bpc, etc.), you cannot toggle on windows' hdr.

in short, from my testing so far, setting custom resolutions in nvidia's control panel prevents you from using wcg settings.

is this a known issue? are there any workarounds? any help would be appreciated.

This will send a standard 1080p signal to your projector, but applications (the desktop etc) will only render to a letterboxed 1920x817 portion of the display.
Quote: Originally Posted by Elix

Also, check this out http://www.csgnetwork.com/videosignalcalc.html
1920x817p72 actually takes less bandwidth than 1920x1080p60.

Bandwidth doesn't matter when it comes to digital displays - what matters is what the device will accept and sync to.

My TV accepts anything up to 1080p60 - but it will only accept 1080p24/50/60 (plus or minus 3% or so) rather than any value in the range of 24-60Hz.
I doubt you will find many devices that will sync to 72Hz properly, or accept anything that is not a standard HDMI resolution. (720p/1080p for HD signals)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-h...pixel-mapping-custom-resolutions-digital.html

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Yes. It’s been like this forever. You can’t get 10bit to work, HDR etc. so many threads complaining

The one thing you can do is “resize” desktop when you shrink it. Sometimes hdr will stick

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not sure if it's related but how (which tool) allows to set a resolution when the PC/Laptop can't read the EDID information of the display ? I'm using a VGA to HDMI adapter, so the computer could not know the resolution of the monitor and it remembers the last one. If restarted, it will choose the default low resolution 1024x768.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes. It’s been like this forever. You can’t get 10bit to work, HDR etc. so many threads complaining

The one thing you can do is “resize” desktop when you shrink it. Sometimes hdr will stick
thanks for pointing "resize" out, i'm new to nvidia cards and hadn't noticed this setting.... anyway, played around with it and it gave me renewed hope, only to discover that in the end it produced the same damn behavior as custom resolutions, i.e. subsampling and bit-depth settings can't be set or don't stick.

i'm really at a loss here given that i've always run my setup and desktop in scope mode with wcg capability using windows' simple igpu, it worked perfectly, but somehow it's not possible using a top of the line video card like the 2080 ti? how is this even possible? do you happen to know if it can be done with any of the amd cards? or is it something that used to be possible with older nvidia drivers?

UPDATE:

have been playing around with toastyx's custom resolution utility (cru) and it appears that there is a way to use the utility to set custom resolutions that nvidia will recognize and display in the nv control panel (under pc resolutions) - most importantly, you can use the nv control panel to apply wcg settings (subsampling, bit-depth, etc.) to these custom resolutions and use windows' hdr toggle if you choose.

the way i got it to work was:

- added my custom resolutions in the detailed resolution box at the top of the utility's first page.
- edited the the extension block appearing in the bottom box of the first page.
- the edited included nothing more than deleting all of the "detailed resolutions" appearing in this box.

so far so good, everything seems to be working just fine, and if i run into a problem it's very easy to reset everything to it's original state using the utility.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Omg you got this to work? I spent so much time trying CRU only to fail

Can you post your screen shots of how you did it and what you edited?

I also was trying to overclocked to 66hz at 4k (my Sony and Philips will do this) but that was same issue - 8bit only
No hdr

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Omg you got this to work? I spent so much time trying CRU only to fail

Can you post your screen shots of how you did it and what you edited?

I also was trying to overclocked to 66hz at 4k (my Sony and Philips will do this) but that was same issue - 8bit only
No hdr
honestly, i forgot that i had made this post here at avs given i have made the same post at so many other forums... anyway, yes, i finally got it to work using cru after lots of trial and error, and i have no idea if it's the best approach, the most elegant approach, but it just works, which is good enough for me! btw, fwiw, today i'll be trying to add my custom resolutions directly to nvidia's resolutions registry entry (nv-modes), according to toastyx it shouldn't be a prob at all... but if it fails at least i'll have this working alternative, albeit it may be less elegant.

anyway, the key seemed to be working with extension blocks in cru, as opposed to the detailed and standard resolution boxes on cru's first/main page.. specifically, editing the "video capability" data block seemed to fix my issues with "gpu scaing" in nvcp not working (gpu scaling is a must for my needs, my display (projector) needs to be able to see a standard resolution in order for all of the display options to work properly, otherwise some are greyed out.

you'll be working with the extension blocks area - i created 3 extension blocks for my resolutions because you can only enter 3 resolutions per block, i needed more than 3 resolutions:

all of the data blocks (which are displayed below the detailed resolution box) are identical for each extension block - so i created the first extension block, made my edits, then copied that block two times in order to have 3.. from there i just changed the resolutions in the detailed resolution box... worth noting: i also deleted some resolutions that i didn't need, including 4k resolutions, which you of course don't want to do if you need this/these resolutions:

and here are the settings i used for the video data blocks, i left the audio data blocks untouched:

after doing this, here is what shows in the nvidia control panel - my 1920 x 817 custom resolution that nvidia color settings (subsample, color depth, etc.) can be applied to... also shown is gpu scaling in the nvcp now working, and what windows 10 display settings now shows - again, for my needs it's very important that my display sees a standard resolution, in my case 1920 x 1080, i.e. the "active signal resolution" needs to be 1920 x 1080, not 1920 x 817:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
update -

reset my resolutions to their original state using cru (to erase the cru settings i had made), reinstalled nvidia's latest drivers, and then edited the nvidia registry entry (nv_modes) found in this path, per toastyx's suggestion:

hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000.

there are 10 nv_modes entries in the registry but editing this one key seemingly applied the edit to the other 9 instances... this is the edit i made to the registry:

{*}S 720x480x8,16,32,64=1; 720x576x8,16,32,64=8032;SHV 1280x720x8,16,32,64 1680x1050x8,16,32,64 1920x1080x8,16,32,64 1920x817x8,16,32,64 2048x1536x8,16,32,64=1; 1920x1440x8,16,32,64=1F; 640x480x8,16,32,64 800x600x8,16,32,64 1024x768x8,16,32,64=1FFF; 1920x1200x8,16,32,64=3F; 1600x900x8,16,32,64=3FF; 2560x1440x8,16,32,64 2560x1600x8,16,32,64=7B; 1600x1024x8,16,32,64 1600x1200x8,16,32,64=7F;
1280x768x8,16,32,64 1280x800x8,16,32,64 1280x960x8,16,32,64 1280x1024x8,16,32,64 1360x768x8,16,32,64 1366x768x8,16,32,64=7FF; 1152x864x8,16,32,64=FFF;

the section/line of code i added the custom resolution to ends in "=1" which automatically populated the resolution with the following refresh rates: 60, 59, 30, 29, 24, 23... by placing it here it also shows up under "ultra hd, hd, sd" in the nvcp instead of under "pc".

not sure how one would go about adding custom refresh rates in this manner, i.e. using a registry entry, i'm thinking cru would be the best approach for this.

a couple of oddities - the nvcp gpu scaling never worked for me out of the box, despite trying all of the suggestions posted at nvidia's forum, including clean reinstalls of the nv drivers and ensuring that sharpening was disabled in the 3d global settings... this was a prob when using cru to set a custom res because the newly created custom res would show as the "active signal resolution" which my display didn't like... fortunately further cru edits were able to force the nvidia gpu scaling to work so that a standard "sctive signal resolution" was reported to my display, all was good.

thing is, adding my custom res to the registry and no longer using cru once again renders nv gpu scaling worthless, it doesn't work anymore, but the good news is that i no longer need it because the "active signal resolution" being reported to my display is a standard resolution, not my custom resolution, i.e. adding my custom resolution to the registry eliminated the need to use gpu scaling.

now all i have to do is make sure drivers aren't updated automatically given i'm guessing it would overwrite my registry edit.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
In cru how did you calculate the timing you needed ... Looks like the clock is 141 in 1920x1080 and 104 in custom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Did you first create your custom Rez 1920x817 in the nvidia control panel BEFORE editing the registry key??

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In cru how did you calculate the timing you needed ... Looks like the clock is 141 in 1920x1080 and 104 in custom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
in the timing dropdown box i used "automatic - lcd standard" which automatically filled in everything except the h/v active lines and refresh rate.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you first create your custom Rez 1920x817 in the nvidia control panel BEFORE editing the registry key??
first i played around with the nvcp custom resolution and desktop resizing options, tried a bunch of different things with both, but i just couldn't get the nvcp color settings or gpu scaling to work with any of the newly created resolutions - they always successfully appeared in the nvcp "change resolution" section, with an asterisk next to them (to indicate they were custom resolutions), but that was the end of it, they couldn't be altered in terms of nvidia color settings or scaling, color settings defaulted to rgb / 8-bit and scaling default to display, and they couldn't be changed.

then i played around with cru, tried a bunch of different things with it, and finally got things to work - the custom resolutions i created in cru appeared in the nvcp, without an asterisk next to them, and i could apply nvidia color settings to them and i could also use the nvcp gpu scaling option.

then, per toastyx's suggestion, i decided to instead edit the registry thinking it would be a more elegant approach, which i did, and it has worked like a charm.

because i had played around with nvidia custom resolutions and cru custom resolutions so much, i did a clean install of the nvidia drivers - first i used cru's "reset-all" bat file to erase all of the edits i had made using cru... then i did a clean install of the nvidia drivers... once that was done i launched regedit and added my custom resolution to "nv_modes", closed regedit, rebooted, launched the nvcp, and my custom resolution was there.

after the clean install, before editing the registry, i did not try to add any custom resolutions ori play around with desktop resizing in the nvcp.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
I took the afternoon off work just to go home and try this (well and clean my closet :)

Thanks will report back. If this works will send you beer money

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure if it's related but how (which tool) allows to set a resolution when the PC/Laptop can't read the EDID information of the display ? I'm using a VGA to HDMI adapter, so the computer could not know the resolution of the monitor and it remembers the last one. If restarted, it will choose the default low resolution 1024x768.
the custom resolution utility (cru) will not only let set up resolutions, but it will also let you define the resolution as "recommended" so that your system will default to this res on boot, at least that's been my experience...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Damn I do t have those keys

I have “currentcontrolSet”
are you talking about the registry? if so:

launch regedit
from the top menu select edit > find
then enter nv_modes

nothing?

EDIT -

doh, it looks like there's a typo in the registry path i posted above, it reads:

hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolcet\control\class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000.

should read:

hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
I used the RegEdit. Simple

On my philips hdr1000 4k I made

3840x1836 so 21:10.

I did use CRU to adjust the gysync to 35-60 and monitor still works

Here is my next project: can we use CRU to put the 21:10 on the BOTTOM of the screen and have a big black bar at the top. Just “lower” the screen. I think that is the porch control but need to play with it!!!

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
it's nice when you can finally get these cards to work the way you want, eh? so what did you use to create your custom resolution(s), a registry edit or cru?

The native contrast on the Philips is 8000:1 so the black bars look great. The local dimming zones do little good (only 32 of them)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts