AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts

do not use this control to adjust gamma as it will cause banding and limits the colors that the card outputs.

those controls are for people to use if their monitor is lacking in controls but it is much better to adjust only the display for proper gamma response.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
From my testing, using Powerstrip or Display driver Gamma will not cause banding as long as the changes are linear (just dragging the slider).

If you have a funny shaped curve you will end up with banding.

I have to use Gamma in the PC as my display does not have a Gamma control, and it's natural Gamma is not right.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W /forum/post/16938479

From my testing, using Powerstrip or Display driver Gamma will not cause banding as long as the changes are linear (just dragging the slider).

If you have a funny shaped curve you will end up with banding.

I have to use Gamma in the PC as my display does not have a Gamma control, and it's natural Gamma is not right.

Hi Mark,

My Marantz VP12 S3 does not have gamma control also and need to use the slider gamma setting from nvidia display control panel. What is your gamma setting for your CRT?

Presently, I am using 1.25.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
R 1.45

G 1.35

B 1.25

So, 1.35 on average.

But these numbers only suit my CRT projector - if I had a different brand or model...even a different example of the same unit, it would be different.

From memory this corresponds to about a final gamma of 2.2, but the curve on my CRT is a bit up and down, even when the greyscale is close to 6500k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts