AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm having trouble with HDMI output from my Acer Aspire 8730 which comes with the GeForce 9600M GT. HDMI out from computer direct to Samsung DLP works perfectly, both audio & video, so I know HDMI output from the computer is capable of functioning, at least with some devices. However, if I run this same HDMI output from the computer to my Onkyo 604 receiver, the connection is not detected by the receiver or the computer. I try setting the digital input on my receiver to HDMI but it does not even appear as an option when cycling through the digital inputs because it is not detecting any input / signal, as though the HDMI cord is not even plugged in. I've tried both HDMI inputs on the receiver, it's not recognizing a connection from the computer with either. I've also tested both of these HDMI inputs on the receiver with a DVD player so I know they both work (recognize and process HDMI signals from the DVD player). On the PC end, the computer is also not detecting a connection and says there is no external display connected. So basically both the receiver and computer are not even recognizing that there is a connection via HDMI. My current workaround is HDMI direct to TV for video and SPDIF out to receiver for audio but the reason I purchased a notebook with HDMI-out is so I could have both audio & video via one cord. As far as connections, I'm no further ahead than I was with my 5 year old laptop using VGA and SPDIF outs. Anyone know of a fix to get the PC / receiver to "see" each other via HDMI and get my HD video / surround audio going over the one cord ? Thanks

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Are you running the latest Nvidia HDMI audio drivers? Go do your device manager and see what HDMI audio drive your running. Also check your chipset driver.. Im not familiar with notebook drivers but on my 9400m (motherboard not notebook) which utilizes the 730i nforce chipset I updated the HDMI audio driver to resolve a similar issue.

If that doesnt work are you sure your Onkyo 604 supports LPCM over HDMI? Dumb question but I must ask..

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsolid /forum/post/16980944

Thanks for the reply
Not sure what drivers I'm running, will have to check tonight. Yes, the Onkyo 604 supports LPCM over HDMI.

Yes it does, but only 5.1 and not 7.1.

Is your laptop set to 7.1?

Set your laptop audio to 5.1 and see if it solves your problem.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
This is just the video driver. Go to your devices and go to multi media / sound and see what audio controllers are listed. You may have 1 or 2. One of them should be Nvidia Audio. Check and see what version it is.. if you have NO audio drivers list then you have an issue..

I have the 9400m and use this audio driver:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_...1.00.0.42.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsolid /forum/post/16982564

I installed this driver last night. Although it does not mention HDMI audio, this is the latest available driver for the GeForce 9600M GT. Is it a given that the latest HDMI drivers would be included or would they be installed through a separate driver?

nVidia Geforce 186.03 64-Bit Vista

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks. I have an email into Acer support because there's basically zero information on my specific notebook model anywhere (Aspire 8730-6095) including Acer's own website so I have no idea about the motherboard. Only seems to be info on a bunch of other 8730-#### models out there. Tried checking in Device Manager to see if it would tell me but all it gave me for the HDMI Audio Device was the driver version, not the driver name itself. Once I get a response from Acer I'll download the appropriate drivers. In the meantime, I'll try the nVidia tool this evening that's supposed to automatically check your motherboard and determine the right drivers.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I ask again; what is your laptop set to?

5.1 or 7.1?

A lot of people had problems with the 604 before it was found that it does not support 7.1 LPCM, only 5.1.

It may sound like a dumb question, but it may be related to your problem.

Or it may not, it never hurts to try everything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll check this as well but have actually been holding off on trying to get this working until I have all of the latest drivers installed. HDMI out to receiver isn't even hooked up at the moment, current workaround is HDMI out to tv, spdif out to receiver. Hoping to get all updated / apppropriate drivers installed tonight, just want to have these in place first as switching connections on my setup is quite a process.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another quick question, I've read some posts in other threads regarding needing to use the HDMI 1 vs HDMI 2 input (or vice versa) on the Onkyo 604 to achieve both video & surround audio. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, got a response from Acer and they said the audio driver to update was the Realtek one. I specificially asked about an nVidia chipset on the motherboard and this was not addressed in the response. Didn't know if that meant there isn't one or they just didn't give me a complete answer. I updated the Realtek drivers and I'm now able to get video when I go HDMI out from PC to Onkyo and HDMI out from Onkyo to TV but no audio. I've read about this problem all over the place. I'm using HDMI 1 input on the receiver as I've read this is a key piece of the puzzle. I went into my playback devices settings and the only speaker configurations available to select from in the nVidia HDMI audio are Stereo and 7.1 - no 5.1 which seems to be the second key to getting this to work. But I guess this at least means there's an nVidia audio chipset on the motherboard since it appears in my playback devices. However, I ran the detection tool on nVidia's driver page to automatically select which drivers I needed but it didn't find anything. So now I don't know what to do from here. I believe I've got everything where it needs to be except the 5.1 speaker configuration and I don't know how to make it available. Recap of settings as follows:

- Updated Realtek driver at Acer Support's instruction

- Playback devices set to nVidia HDMI audio as default

- HDMI IN 1 input set as default on Onkyo receiver (this is what made the video finally kick in)

- 5.1 is not an available option under 'speaker confuguration' for nVidia HDMI audio. Only stereo and 7.1 - neither gives me any audio and receiver says 'no signal' despite passing video through to tv.

I'm going to follow up with Acer to see what exactly the nVidia chipset is on the motherboard because I assume there has to be if that's what's showing up in my playback devices, even in nVidia's detection tool didn't recognize it.

Any suggestions to resolve this are very much appreciated

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Take your laptop to a friend or local electronics seller which carries the latest HDMI receivers/HT and check it out. Tell the store that you are looking for one which is compatible with your laptop and they will allow you to test it.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Since everything works fine when connecting directly from your PC to your TV over HDMI I don't think any PC driver changes are required. The problem appears to be that your receiver is not acknowleging your HDMI connection to it.

Tuyrn off your PC and then make sure the TV is turned on and that you have the receiver set to ouput to it over HDMI from the receiver HDMI input connection you are using from the PC and then try booting the PC.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rick, from what I've been able to gather in the past week of research, this is an issue with several brands of av receivers but it is possible to get it working with the right combo of drivers, settings (both hardware & software), etc. As mentioned above, I was unable to select HDMI 1 as the digital input when cycling through the available inputs with the 'Digital Input' button on the front of my Onkyo but I was able to set HDMI IN 1 as the default input when I went into the Onkyo setup menu. This is what made video kick in and pass through to the tv. Now I'm at the stage where I have video but no audio, and despite passing the video signal, the Onkyo is saying 'No Signal'. I know that setting 5.1 speaker configuration on the PC is the key from reading about others who have experienced this issue, just need to figure out how to make 5.1 an available option. I've been going back and forth with Acer trying to get a straight answer regarding the nVidia chipset installed on my motherboard but keep getting generic responses with links to spec pages that don't provide this information. Sent a bit more pointed follow-up this morning teling them exactly what I'm looking for in their response, as well as what I don't want, which is the link to a page that if they'd bothered to check, they'd realize doesn't provide the information I'm after. I'll keep updating here as I sort this out. I know it will work as others have been successful with my exact Onkyo model which is an earlier model than yours, so you should be able to get this working too.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
mrsolid,

Since your laptop detects stereo and 7.1 speakers, change your receiver to a 5.1 setup (disable the two side speakers). Now connect your laptop and see if it gives you a 5.1 option.

Always remember to restart in the correct sequence.

rick,

Your 706 receiver is capable of decoding 7.1 LPCM, your problem is different.

Please post your laptop specs.

Some manufacturers have different specs in the hardware and hence the chip maker's drivers will not work. It may or may not be case with your laptop. They want control over what a consumer does. So if you install drivers not provided by HP, they can turn around and say we are not liable to support your purchase if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So here's the ongoing saga that is me trying to get the effing model number of the nVidia chipset installed on my motherboard so I can download the drivers from nVidia's site.

Quote:
Me:

Hi, I just purchased the Acer Aspire 8730-6095, serial number LXAYG0X08591320B1C2000, at Futureshop last week and want to update the nVidia HDMI audio drivers as I've read this will resolve an issue I'm experiencing when trying to connect this notebook to my AV receiver via HDMI. Currently, neither the computer nor receiver are recognizing a connection. This Acer model is extremely difficult to find information on and does not even appear to be anywhere on Acer's own webpage, only other 8730-#### models. Can you please provide information on the nVidia motherboard chip used on this notebook so that I can install the appropriate driver from nVidia's website? Thanks

Acer:

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for contacting Acer America. I’ll be happy to assist you with this issue.

I understand from your mail that you require nVidia HDMI Audio Drivers.

I have verified your serial number in our database and found that your system is in warranty.

Jeff, we have Realtek audio driver for this model.

You can download the necessary drivers from the following link : http://gd.panam.acer.com/home/

Me:

Hi, I've downloaded and installed the latest Realtek drivers per the response from Acer Support. I've also set everything (software & hardware) to exactly what has resolved this issue for others (per online research on this issue). Per my original question, please advise exactly which nVidia chipset model (nForce ### or other) is on my notebook's motherboard so that I can install these drivers direct from nVidia to try and get this working. Thanks

Acer:

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for contacting Acer America.

I understand that you would like to know the nVidia chipset model on your computer motherboard.

To resolve this issue you may please go through the specification link : http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/no...8730Gsp2.shtml

Me:

Thanks but I've been researching this for almost a week, I've already been to the generic 8730G spec page and there is no mention of the nVidia motherboard chipset, only the dedicated nVidia video gpu. This is separate from the nVidia component that would be installed on the motherboard. Also, there are a number of 8730G notebook models, all potentially with different specs. I need to know specifics on my particular notebook, the 8730-6095, serial number XXXXXXXXXXX. There's got to be something in Acer's records that identifies exactly what's in this notebook, including the nVidia chipset installed on the motherboard. I'm aware of the GeForce 9600M GT gpu in this notebook. Please respond with the model/version of the nVidia chipset installed on the motherboard, not another link to a spec page that does not provide this information. nVidia's video cards and motherboard chips are separate components and require separate drivers and I need to know the specific nVidia motherboard component in my machine in order to download the appropriate drivers.

Acer:

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for contacting Acer America.

I understand that you would like to know the nVidia chipset model on your computer motherboard.

However Acer technicians are bound to support its customers with the removal or installation of any hardware or software shipped across with Acer machines. But they are not trained on all the advanced features of the software or hardware Acer sells.

Because this calls up on a higher level of expertise the advance troubleshooting, we only have support over the phone on these issues and it is chargeable. You may avail this support on 1.800-237-6483 at a rate of $2.95 per minute with the slots 30 minutes ($59.99), 90 minutes ($129.99), or 15 issues ($199.99) and the validity will be 1 year which can be billed to a credit card.

Note: Items from the Acer Accessory Store are fully supported by the manufacturer of the hardware or publisher of the software that you purchased.

I sincerely hope that one of these options provides a resolution for this issue.

Me:

This is unacceptable. The reason I require this information is because Acer's Realtek drivers are inadequate. If Acer's not going to provide proper driver support for the components in their products, they'd better accept that customers are going to require the kind of information I'm requesting so that they can get their PCs functioning as advertised on their own. Not to mention this is not an 'advanced feature', it's a chipset model number that is definitely on a spec list somewhere available for reference. I'm not paying to be provided with information that should be readily available in the documentation that came with my notebook as well as on your webpage. Are you aware that Acer's webpage does not even identify the 8730-6095 as an existing product, let alone provide specifications on it? Not even the generic 8730G specifications on Acer's site provide information on this chipset. I paid $1000 brand new for this product less than a week ago at Futureshop as well as a 2-year extended warranty. To be charged for 'technical support' that is not in fact technical support at all but simply providing the model number of one component within the notebook so that I can actually get it to work properly is outrageous. Being able to output video & surround audio via one HDMI cord was a key feature in my decision to purchase this notebook and as it stands, this feature is not functional. Please speak with 'advanced troubleshooting' if this is even truly necessary to access this basic information and respond with the nVidia motherboard chipset model number. If this information is not provided I will be forced to file an official complaint and possibly return this notebook as 'deficient' because customer support refused to answer a simple question.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsolid /forum/post/16993735

So here's the ongoing saga that is me trying to get the effing model number of the nVidia chipset installed on my motherboard so I can download the drivers from nVidia's site.

Try Nvidia Smart Scan.

From Nvidia-->

======================================================

What it does:

The NVIDIA Smart Scan looks at your computer's hardware and system software to determine whether or not your drivers are up-to-date.

* No personal information is collected.

* Only your system's hardware and system software is evaluated.

* Works on Microsoft Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP, 2003, Media Center, and Windows Vista.

* Works with Internet Explorer, Firefox & Netscape browsers.

* Provides suggestions for improving your computer.

======================================================

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks hirent but I tried this, it didn't find anything. I guess it's still just a beta.

Wow, I suppose it'll be embarrassing if I don't even have an nVidia chipset on my motherboard huh? haha

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It has the 9600M GT gpu and I have those drivers. What I'm trying to find out is the chipset that's installed on the motherboard, which is something noone, even at Acer, seems to be able to answer unless I pay for the information. Please.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.