AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please help! i just received my new dell pc with the nvidia geforce fx5200 video card. i'm using the dvi connection to my sony tv.

off the bat...i'm able to see stuff at 640x480. and it maxes out at 848x480. but that's about it. this is without using powerstrip.

after playing with powerstrip for over hours...i managed to get a bunch more resolutions at 480 and 540. but that's it. i can't get over 540. i was hoping to get something like 1280x720 or something along those lines. won't let me. max of 540. of course...i'm able to go up to 1920x540. which looks wacky.

does this mean my brand new 128mb nvidia card doesn't support resolutions above 540? that would suck.

help a brother out...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Since you have a DVI connection to your TV it may be the TV that is limiting your resolution. My Panny HDTV rp LCD supports up to 1080i. I can connect to the TV through the VGA port on the TV. The LCD's support 1280 x 720 so obviously that's the highest res I'm going to get on this setup. What Sony model do you have? I notice some TV's including plasma claim HDTV but the highest native resolution they have is like 848 x 480 and they scale up internally to give the higher resoltion.

Gerry

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have the sony 60xbr800 gw2 rp lcd. supposedly...the native resolution for the tv is 1366x768.

i just don't understand...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I suspect it is either the DVI or the TV. I have an Nvidia FX 5200 connected to a widescreen Monivison over VGA, and 1280 x 720 is my current resolution... No powerstrip, no fuss no muss. You might want to download drivers from Nvidia directly, and see if that helps.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's the first i did actually...download the latest drivers from nvidia. i'm able to get a high resolution with my monitor. but when i connect the dvi with the sony tv...the resolution is limited.

btw...i went to school at cal poly slo. noticed where you located...hehe.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
The display provides specific info to the video card (via DVI) as to the resolutions supported. Blame it on the Sony.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but most everyone that have ati radeon cards have gotten signficantly higher resolutions on the sony tv.

it might just be a combination of crappy card (for htpc purposes) and the tv. now begins my question for a cheap, but good for htpc, ati radeon card.

suggestions? i don't need latest and greatest. just need something for my dell 8300 that will have higher resolution for the tv.

·
Registered
449 Posts
imajazz --

Maybe you can help me with my problem i also have a dell 8300 with the radeon 9800 for tv out. I have it connected via DVI to my TV but can not for the life of me figure out how to get anything to display on the TV.

When i boot the PC i see it on the TV so there is no question that there is a connection. But as soon as XP starts poof the screen goes black.

When i go into the driver setup I see

1. Default Monitor on RADEON 9800 PRO

2. {Default Monitor} on RADEON 9800 PRO -- Secondary

If I select #2 and click the extend my desktop and click apply it just flashes back to #1.

Am i correct in assuming that #2 is the dvi output on this card ? What am i missing ? I am running the Catalyst 3.7 drivers ... i would be estatic with 960x540 resolution ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.