AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Emachines 1200 series slimline desktop and am looking at adding a Nvidia GT 430 card. The problem is there are multiple manufactures of this card, you have Sapphire, EVGA, ASUS, Zotac and many others. Is there one that is better than the other or more compatible with my particular system than the others? My system is AMD based by the way. The computer will be connected to my 42" panasonic plasma which will be used for Internet, music and playing M.A.M.E. games nothing really serious.So if anyone has any input as far as which one of these manufactures card would be more compatible with my system it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Other than the fans they are all basically reference designs so there's not much difference between them. As far as compatibility, they are all based on the same PCIe spec, have the same circuit board designs for full size and low profile, and use identical components. Go with whichever one you can get for the best price.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I hear a lot of happy customers with EVGA though. Some good rebates on Newegg right now. I'm looking into one myself, but just wondering if the 450 might be better because I do a lot of HD video editing.

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tr /forum/post/19584664

I hear a lot of happy customers with EVGA though. Some good rebates on Newegg right now. I'm looking into one myself, but just wondering if the 450 might be better because I do a lot of HD video editing.

Personally I'd pay a bit more for an EVGA card because, unlike some others (none that are in the OP's list), an EVGA video card has never died on me.

Not that I'm that familiar with it, but as far as HD video editing the 450 would be a better choice if your editing app uses CUDA. Otherwise, isn't video editing mostly CPU-intensive?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just watched a youtube video on the PNY gt 430 and it says you need a minimum of a 300 watt power supply for this card, is this true for all the various gt 430 cards? My power supply in my emachine is only 225 watts. Anyone who has one of these cards can verify whether this is true or not.

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelousmarvyd /forum/post/19590855

I just watched a youtube video on the PNY gt 430 and it says you need a minimum of a 300 watt power supply for this card, is this true for all the various gt 430 cards? My power supply in my emachine is only 225 watts. Anyone who has one of these cards can verify whether this is true or not.

A gt 430 at max load pulls a little bit north of 50 watts. 300 watts minimum might be a stretch for an HTPC.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I have an EVGA GT430 and it produces weird color. Cyan is green as heck. You have to mess with the tint... I have not run a meter on it to see if all the colors are off the same amount. I think it took three clicks toward blue to get Cyan passible.

I have not been impressed overall the fan is noisy, but the card is nice and thin and fits easily in a single slot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see that the gt 430 cards do recommend that you do have a minimum 300 watt power supply and what a bummer that the evga cards don't come with a low profile bracket, especially since the are going for $50 dollars right now until the 9th at fry's. I guess I will have to do a little more hunting for a card. From what I've been reading there is a formula to tell whether this card can work in your system or not.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
There are lots of 2-slot low-profile cards. But EVGA or PNY (or this jet-plane Sparkle ) is the only 1-slot low-profile card (for a low-profile mini-ITX case).

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelousmarvyd /forum/post/19593912

I see that the gt 430 cards do recommend that you do have a minimum 300 watt power supply and what a bummer that the evga cards don't come with a low profile bracket, especially since the are going for $50 dollars right now until the 9th at fry's. I guess I will have to do a little more hunting for a card. From what I've been reading there is a formula to tell whether this card can work in your system or not.

NVIDIA makes their recommendations based on every system using their cards being a gaming system. A gaming system is generally going to have a power hungry CPU and more peripherals than an HTPC so they overestimate what is required.

An HTPC with an i3-530, H55 m/b, 2 sticks of ram, 2 hard-drives, a Blu-ray player, and a GT 430 might, at load, pull slightly more than 110W. Considering that any respectable power supply can easily handle up to 80% of its rated load without even breathing hard, a 180W PSU and possibly even a 150W PSU would suffice.

This particular subject is a pet peeve of mine. I see people in here all the time speccing 450W, 500W, or 750W PSUs for an HTPC and it's just complete overkill. The vast majority simply don't need anywhere near that much capacity, particularly with the efficient components that are available today, unless you plan on building an overclocked i7 system running 4 sticks of ram, SLI or X-fire mid-to-high-end video cards, and have 4 hard-drives along with a couple of optical drives. But who really needs a system like that for an HTPC?

/rant

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I sort of suspected such, my htpc will only have a processor upgraded to amd 5050e, memory upgrade, os upgraded to win 7 and a recycled western digital 640gb 7200rpm hard drive. Trying to keep the upgrades around $150, hoping my son can get me win 7 cheap with his student discount.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.