AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Anyone who owns any of these cards and have them connected to 7.1 systems via HDMI, have Nvidia fixed the 7.1 side/back surround swapping? Easiest way to tell is to run the Windows channel test, but you'd probably have to click on each speaker icon several times due to the stream taking a fraction of a second to activate.

If you are playing 5.1 content and hear the 5.1 surrounds on the sides, it might be two bugs canceling each other (see below), so that's not a good test. 7.1 content where you know which channel is which (such as the Dolby demo bluray disc with a TrueHD 7.1 speaker test) are better, but again, the Windows test is easier.

The other "bug" I'm referring to is that when a player sends a 5.1 stream to the Windows mixer and Windows is set to 7.1, then the 5.1 surrounds (which should go to *side* surrounds on 7.1), go to the back surrounds. Thus if you add the Nvidia bug which plagued their previous HDMI offerings, they will cancel each other out. When you play 7.1 content though, backs and sides will be swapped, and it might take you a while to find out if you haven't done a proper test.

Also, anyone has any trouble with WASAPI exclusive support? Specifically, is it working with 24-bit 96 kHz 5.1 channel or higher?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I had the channel swapping issue with surround/rears until I came across somebody who posted that a hdmi audio driver release 1.0.0.41 fixed the issue which I can confirm it did.

That was a couple of years ago. I've been trying to move from away from Nvidia products - they just don't care about non-gamers.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was probably me, I did that on the Asus 9300 and Gigabyte 9400 boards. The problem was that with subsequent drivers, Nvidia reintroduced the bug, and I'm wondering if these new GT2xx cards are the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts