AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a couple of reviews it seems that everyone agrees the system ( even the dual core version) falls short to play hd flash videos , what do u guys think? is it true? what is needed? better cpu? better gpu?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
What is needed is proper drivers for hardware-accelerated flash playback, but that may never happen. For now, you need a dual core processor (E5200 or better) for HD flash playback from sites like Hulu.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
weirdly enough, the premium for the ITX board with 9300/core2 isn't much more than the ITX board with Ion.

I really don't see much point in Ion for HTPC, when a "full" solution is only a couple bucks more

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/17047625

weirdly enough, the premium for the ITX board with 9300/core2 isn't much more than the ITX board with Ion.

I really don't see much point in Ion for HTPC, when a "full" solution is only a couple bucks more

Lower power, lower heat and therefore lower noise. Atom was designed to be run completely passively, so silent, it's the nVidia 9300 chipset that requires cooling and typically a fan, not the Atom cpu itself.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I built a test box with the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813500027

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811163146 (except in black)

And tossed in 4gb of ram and a 60gb vertex. I've not done any hulu or whatnot, I just wanted something without a single moving part and thus completely silent, to stream videos from my whs. What I found is that it can handle any dvd and a number of BR iso's mounted over gigabit but not all of them. Sin City, Repo, 300, and others play without any issue but X-Men, Fast and Furious, and some others stutter terribly, it's not even close.

I still need to work my way through the zotac ion thread but I've given up on the box for now.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaMike /forum/post/17048152

Ion doesn't have what it takes for Flash playback.

Maybe when they get all the kinks out of Flash it will.

As far as I can tell they just need to find a way to enable/support GPU acceleration.

Mike

So all the work right now is depending on the cpu?

·
Registered
99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdoomed /forum/post/17048135

I built a test box with the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813500027

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811163146 (except in black)

And tossed in 4gb of ram and a 60gb vertex. I've not done any hulu or whatnot, I just wanted something without a single moving part and thus completely silent, to stream videos from my whs. What I found is that it can handle any dvd and a number of BR iso's mounted over gigabit but not all of them. Sin City, Repo, 300, and others play without any issue but X-Men, Fast and Furious, and some others stutter terribly, it's not even close.

I still need to work my way through the zotac ion thread but I've given up on the box for now.

I have the same board and I'm not streaming over gigabit and have no problem with any BD rips or ISOs. Are you sure you have yours setup correctly? As far as HD Flash I have tried Hulu and get too much stuttering but I knew that going into this build and thats not what I built this box for.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaxer07 /forum/post/17050912

I have the same board and I'm not streaming over gigabit and have no problem with any BD rips or ISOs. Are you sure you have yours setup correctly? As far as HD Flash I have tried Hulu and get too much stuttering but I knew that going into this build and thats not what I built this box for.

I was thinking the same thing, the 9300 should GPU accelerate any and all BD with the proper codec.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
What's interesting is these so called "Flash" video seem to use good 'ol H.264, too. It's just the player itself that's incapable of making use of hardware acceleration. For YouTube, I download the high quality or HD MP4 files and they play perfectly fine on MPC HomeCinema with hardware acceleration.

Prior to Hulu locking down its system, I used to download their videos, too, just so I can get hardware accelerated playback.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaxer07 /forum/post/17050912

What OS Did you install ?

My Windows7 RC1 x64 is really badly behaving ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=17052677

Can you help me on this ?

·
Registered
339 Posts
You've hit upon the very reason nettops are not ready to act as all-in-one HTPC's just yet.

We should see them break the Hulu barrier sometime later this year, or early next year.

Trust me, you're not the only person waiting... I have three smaller TV's in my house that are just begging for a cheap net-top HTPC to come along.

·
Registered
339 Posts
dp. damn interwebz...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkinsFan /forum/post/17053885

You've hit upon the very reason nettops are not ready to act as all-in-one HTPC's just yet.

We should see them break the Hulu barrier sometime later this year, or early next year.

Trust me, you're not the only person waiting... I have three smaller TV's in my house that are just begging for a cheap net-top HTPC to come along.

I was wondering if the next version from intel(pinetrail) might manage Hulu. I think its suppose to use intels x4500 chip which is not great but sure a lot better then intels current atom chipset. The are going to put the x4500 within the cpu die itself which is really suppose to cut down on overall power consumption. Interesting to find out, the current atom systems seem to week for everything in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaMike /forum/post/17048152

Ion doesn't have what it takes for Flash playback.

Maybe when they get all the kinks out of Flash it will.

As far as I can tell they just need to find a way to enable/support GPU acceleration.

Mike

I kind of like the idea of just having the cpu having enough grunt to handle all multimedia formats in software. It seems like there are always new formats coming out so it gives you a lot more flexibility.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Not sure it is an exact duplicate of the x4500 in the new Pinetrail platform, but it is definitely more powerful than the current Atom default, and on-die as well, as you pointed out.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkinsFan /forum/post/17053885

How cool is to read that, i´m not alone xD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts