AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the latest on this nvidia feature?

Has anyone actually tried it with a software DVD player?

How many pixels does the blend area cover?

How is the blend area "managed"?

Regards

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Has it come out yet?

We were looking at it about a month ago in a thread about using an HTPC to blend two projectors together. We gave up, as Nvidia does it with the Powerwall feature, and based on the descriptions and the higher priced card designs, it should work pretty darn well.

The video cards are out, we've just been waiting for the new drivers which enable the feature. But since I use ATIs in my systems, I wouldn't know if the new Nvidia drivers were out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spearce

Edge blending is mentioned in the recent driver release notes, so I was hoping that someone with a Quadro FX 1000 card or higher would have at least tried it out.

Regards

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I have a quadro FX card in my workstation...wadda ya want me to do?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Install the drivers, get your hands on a pair of projectors, and project. :D

What we're interested in is how well does the Powerwall software let you tweak the blend zone, and how well does it blend the two outputs together?

Does the overlay used by DScaler or a DVD player like TheaterTek or ZoomPlayer span across both outputs and blend properly, or just the Windows desktop?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dokworm

Two monitors will also work for the test.

We need you to describe what happens to the 'overlap' area of the screens when you activate the powerwall feature.

I think it may only work using the nvidia drivers, not the normal workstation drivers ie. Dell, IBM etc.

If you can check on nvidias site it will give more details about the most recent driver released on Dec 9th 03.

Also which card do you have?

Oh, and we need you do this ASAP!!!

Many Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
375 Posts
Does anyone know anything about using a geforce 4 and the 53.03 driver to do this? In the notes it says it has a feature call horizontal span mode.

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/5...nd_Edition.pdf

Look at page 49 and 50. From the pictures it does not seem to over lap but has anyone tried this? If I had two projectors maybe I would... In-fact maybe I can borrow one if no one has tried it yet.

Wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to buy a $600 video card to use power wall?

let me know what you think.

Andy

·
Registered
375 Posts
According to Page 46 (of the document, not the page "# of 129" at the bottom of the window) this would also work with two video cards...

I will try it as soon as I get a chance and see what works, I have the driver installed, I just have to move my monitor to the projector and hook them both up before I can enable dual view mode...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I was wondering whatever happened to this. I just checked Nvidia's website and the Powerwall document is gone. Not a good sign.

·
Registered
375 Posts
That's odd, I found a link to it but it does not work...

http://www.nvidia.com/page/search.ht...&booleanMode=1

Well I hope they have not decided to get rid of it...

It would be much nicer to have the blend area instead of just two images side by side. Although, if you think about it, once it is set up it should look the same since you have the same drift and convergence problems with either one. It would just be easier to get it to setup with the blend area.

We shall see.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Friday I am going to borrow a second marque 8000 and give this thing a real test. I will post some pictures when I get it all setup.

Does anyone have a suggestion on weather to put the projectors both in the center of the screen or centered on their respective screen sections? I tend to think that the centering on their sections makes more since since they can then use more raster and it's easier to setup (less focusing issues).

Andy

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Try it with a couple of PC monitors first and figure out how much blend room you think you'll need. Once that's done, you'd want to do what you thought- center them on their respective sections, as if there were two screens overlapping each other.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.