AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured it was time since these are hitting the streets. My local best buy had some. OP will be updated when official information is released.

What we know so far.

DV and Atmos is working in Netflix
HDR is not available in Youtube

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I picked mine up at the second Best Buy I went to. First one told me that they would sell them till next week. Second one, only a few miles down the road, had 12 on the shelves. About 50/50 between Pro and Stick.

Plugged in to the JV RS3000 and my jaw hit the floor it looked so good. After updates everything worked....except for MrMC (kept stuttering with everything). Kodi 18.4 is buttery smooth. Perfect bitstream of absolutely everything I threw at it.

AI upscaling, on MED, looks incredible. Some titles look a bit better on LOW. But they all look better than the older model.

After testing HDR with JVC DTM (frame-by-frame) on high I am going to hard a real hard time, if not impossible, to go back to the HTPC/MadVR since the Shield is always absolutely flawless with everything. BTW, Amazon UHD/HDR looks amazing. Atmos comes out fine via Amazon. Don't have Netflix so can't judge yet.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After testing HDR with JVC DTM (frame-by-frame) on high I am going to hard a real hard time, if not impossible, to go back to the HTPC/MadVR since the Shield is always absolutely flawless with everything.
Now that is a bold statement, but one I am excited to put to the test! I don't have a projector in the mix, but am already happy with HDR performance with passthrough. Excited to see what this thing can do.

Reactions: Salty01

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Now that is a bold statement, but one I am excited to put to the test! I don't have a projector in the mix, but am already happy with HDR performance with passthrough. Excited to see what this thing can do.
Don't get me wrong....MadVR is, and will always be, better with DTM but the HTPC aspect is always a huge drawback with constant issues from all sorts of hardware points. The new Shield, like the old one, is just smooth and flawless with almost everything. As my wife likes to say "It just works!"

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't get me wrong....MadVR is, and will always be, better with DTM but the HTPC aspect is always a huge drawback with constant issues from all sorts of hardware points. The new Shield, like the old one, is just smooth and flawless with almost everything. As my wife likes to say "It just works!"
I hear you, HTPC's and wive's just don't go together. We used them for years but I love how the Shield is an appliance for a specific task.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Figured it was time since these are hitting the streets. My local best buy had some. OP will be updated when official information is released.

What we know so far.

DV and Atmos is working in Netflix

HDR is not available in Youtube

Thought there was one started a few days ago. A second one is too much and confusing. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Really need to avoid this thead. Payday is next week...........................................

Reactions: m_snow

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thought there was one started a few days ago. A second one is too much and confusing. Thanks.

Yeah I took that as the announcement thread just like someone did with the recent TCL 6 series, then when they started shipping a proper owners thread was created.

But if this is redundant mods can delete or whatever.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I picked mine up at the second Best Buy I went to. First one told me that they would sell them till next week. Second one, only a few miles down the road, had 12 on the shelves. About 50/50 between Pro and Stick.

Plugged in to the JV RS3000 and my jaw hit the floor it looked so good. After updates everything worked....except for MrMC (kept stuttering with everything). Kodi 18.4 is buttery smooth. Perfect bitstream of absolutely everything I threw at it.

AI upscaling, on MED, looks incredible. Some titles look a bit better on LOW. But they all look better than the older model.

After testing HDR with JVC DTM (frame-by-frame) on high I am going to hard a real hard time, if not impossible, to go back to the HTPC/MadVR since the Shield is always absolutely flawless with everything. BTW, Amazon UHD/HDR looks amazing. Atmos comes out fine via Amazon. Don't have Netflix so can't judge yet.
This is extremely promising. Poor upscaling has always been my biggest beef with the Shield. What size screen do you have? And the AI upscaling, it has different levels (low-med-high)? I've been hoping it's the real deal and not just marketing talk.

If the upscaling is that good, then I feel like I can finally say there is a perfect Plex client.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Yeah I took that as the announcement thread just like someone did with the recent TCL 6 series, then when they started shipping a proper owners thread was created.

But if this is redundant mods can delete or whatever.

Right, remove or merge.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
This is extremely promising. Poor upscaling has always been my biggest beef with the Shield. What size screen do you have? And the AI upscaling, it has different levels (low-med-high)? I've been hoping it's the real deal and not just marketing talk.

If the upscaling is that good, then I feel like I can finally say there is a perfect Plex client.
My screen is 150" scope with an anamorphic lens.

The actual setting is for the sharpening not the upscaling itself...although I am not sure that is even an accurate description once you see the effects. I really want to know exactly what kind of upscaling & sharpening they are using since I saw some interesting effects with the different levels and some (at HIGH setting) that were not very pleasant. But MED/LOW are probably what every will be using if I had to take a bet.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.