AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 14756 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SHIELD specifications:
  • SoC – NVIDIA Tegra X1 octa-core processor with 4x Cortex A57 cores, 4x Cortex A53 cores, and a 256-core Maxwell GPU
  • System Memory – 3GB RAM
  • Storage – 16 GB + MicroSD slot
  • Video - HDMI 2.0 output up to 4K @ 60 Hz (with HDMI-CEC support)
  • Video - 4K playback and capture up to 60 fps (VP9, H265, H264)
  • Audio - 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI,
  • Audio - High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192 kHz over HDMI and USB
  • Audio - High-resolution audio up-sample to 24-bit/192 kHz over USB
  • Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11ac 2×2 MIMO 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1/BLE
  • Connectivity – USB – 2x USB 3.0 (Type A) + 1x micro-USB 2.0 port
  • Bluetooth Remote Control with Microphone for voice search and a Headset Jack for private listening
  • Misc – IR Receiver (compatible with Logitech Harmony)
  • Power Supply – 40 W power adapter
  • Dimensions – 210 x 130 x 25 mm
  • Weight – 654 g

http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/03/04/nvidia-unveils-199-shield-android-tv-game-console-powered-by-nvidia-tegra-x1-processor/

could have a nice player coming our way. Very powerful

·
Registered
278 Posts
A Very Fast Machine

I bought the NVidia Shield Set Top Box from Amazon- set it up last night. Beautiful piece of gear. Smaller than I imagined - it's about the size of a DVD case.

Background: I have the new Sony 43" 4K television - the XBR43X830C. Great TV, with a great picture. But, I found that while streaming 4K content from YouTube or Netflix, I would get occasional stutters. The picture would stop, then start. This was despite me having 75/75 broadband via FIOS, with my TV connected with CAT6.

I stream a lot of material, using a PS4 and AppleTV, and I had never experienced this kind of stop-and-go action. So, I wanted to see if that was just part of the 4K experience? Or was the Sony's internet connectivity/graphics capability causing it?

That's why I bought the Shield. It has the same Android TV interface. Same Netflix 4K app. But - it's pretty maxxed out in specs, including ultra fast internet speed. I wanted to see if it would provide a better viewing experience, using the Shield as the engine, and the Sony as just the screen.

Turned out it was a good call. The Shield provides a much more stable 4K viewing experience. Hardly a stutter at all. Every now and then, during a graphics-intensive section of a 4K video, there might be a nanosecond of start-stop - but nothing like the Sony.

It is a redundant piece of gear. The Sony is Android TV, and so is the Shield. But for $200, the shield has improved my enjoyment of the 4K experience.

Also, the Shield is wicked fast when scrolling through the Android TV interface - blazing fast. A very enjoyable, good-looking, capable piece of gear.

That said - any other ideas about how to maximize the 4K streaming experience?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's a powerful box, but for media playback, nVidia has some work cut out...
Thanx for the extra info. Will be keeping a close eye on this as was hoping this was going to be the 4k HTPC solution for local streaming. Lots of work to be done - but keeping the fingers crossed. :)

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Bitstreaming HD audio isn't possible with the SHIELD.

Basically, a big FAIL in my books.
Same. I have to upgrade my reciever to the Pioneer 830 in order to get 5.1 in Netflix along with 4K (I have the Sony 850a).

Nevertheless, I do really like the Shield TV. It has ton of potential.

Reactions: LDBetaGuy

·
Registered
278 Posts
Both my Sony 4K TV and the Shield use Android TV as the OS.

BUT...when I plug a 2TB external USB 3.0 HDD filled with 275 GB of movies (MP4, H.264, high quality, around 10GB per movie) into the Sony's USB ports, it can't read them most of the time. Sometimes it reads a few...but it's touch and go. And even for those few files it does read, it takes a hour or so for the files to show up. And if you hit play - it's a stop-and-go buffering nightmare. Impossible to just sit down and watch a movie...because you never know if it'll be there, or whether it'll be watchable.

The Shield? Perfect.

Takes about 4-5 minutes for it to identify the drive's contents, and correctly display the list of movies. And when it does, every single one is playable, with gorgeous picture, no buffering, and zero lip sync trouble.

For me, that alone is worth it. The more I use this rock-solid piece of gear, the more I love it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you look around you will see HD Audio on the Shield is being talked about and was addressed by NVIDIA. Its a Licensing issue that is all. Go over to the NVIDIA forums and add your comment to the Codec Pack request thread. As it stands now I think there is a really big chance we will get a codec pack to address the issues with the SHIELD but the more requests from customers the better. We are already getting the MPEG/2 HW decoding in an update soon.

Reactions: Miguel6868

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you look around you will see HD Audio on the Shield is being talked about and was addressed by NVIDIA. Its a Licensing issue that is all. Go over to the NVIDIA forums and add your comment to the Codec Pack request thread. As it stands now I think there is a really big chance we will get a codec pack to address the issues with the SHIELD but the more requests from customers the better. We are already getting the MPEG/2 HW decoding in an update soon.
I hope this happens, as I trust that Nvidia can get HD audio working correctly. They do have the resources behind it to test it thoroughly

·
Registered
18 Posts
Agreed... :0

Nice:)

1 - 20 of 14756 Posts