AVS Forum banner

5741 - 5760 of 14550 Posts

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
How does your TV deal with it if it?s a Shield issue?
I don't know, I know they worked closely with Nvidia to get things working properly.

Sent from my LG-V30 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
It's not a Plex issue. Don't try to advertise free for Kodi

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
I'm not advertising anything. From what I read on the nvidia forums, it's people using Plex that have that issue. I've never had that issue with Kodi. Heck, try SMPC as well, don't care.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I'm not advertising anything. From what I read on the nvidia forums, it's people using Plex that have that issue. I've never had that issue with Kodi. Heck, try SMPC as well, don't care.

I use plex and it doesn’t do that on either my B7 OLED or JS9000

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
I use plex and it doesn’t do that on either my B7 OLED or JS9000
Yeah, it's weird.

I've had the purple line with my Vizio, but it's only happened when watching from a Directv STB, and changing the channel and switching back fixes it every time it happens. Dunno.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi, i'm new whit nvidia shield. I hav an HUGe problem. I use it just for play my 1080P libraries (Plex direct play) and Netflix and Amazon content. So when i play some content i have ALWAYSE a bottom green line on my TV. i found some post about it. There is a fix for that?
With this bug for me it can't be used :\
That sounds like content not in the full aspect ratio or that has embedded data like closed captioning in it. Some TV's that are set to display all lines of resolution without overscanning (1:1, dot by dot, etc.) will sometimes have a green line or a black/white line show up at the top or bottom of the screen. The easiest way to fix it quickly is to allow overscanning. Sucks to lose a few lines of resolution, but it works well enough.

Sent from my LG V20 using Tapatalk

·
UHD Addict
37,088 Posts
I watched an episode of BlindSpot from Vudu last night on my Shield. My power had been out for 32 hours so I had no recordings from friday.
And I did see where the SHield was sending BT2020. But when I compared it to other devices sending REC709 the colors looked majorly off. So if I switched my SOny TV from BT2020 to rec709, there was a major difference in the color. And the same went for other streamers if I changed it from rec709 to BT 2020. Although the change with those was even more drastic.

So is the Shield doing something to send things out properly in BT2020?

And on another note I also watched the Friday episode of Agents of SHIELD from AMAzon last night. I tried to watch it from the Shield, but for some reason the A/V was not in sync. It was fine with Vudu. And my other devices are also in sync for it with Amazon. Without having to use a manual adjustment. So is there an A/V sync issue that is known with Amazon?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I watched an episode of BlindSpot from Vudu last night on my Shield. My power had been out for 32 hours so I had no recordings from friday.
And I did see where the SHield was sending BT2020. But when I compared it to other devices sending REC709 the colors looked majorly off. So if I switched my SOny TV from BT2020 to rec709, there was a major difference in the color. And the same went for other streamers if I changed it from rec709 to BT 2020. Although the change with those was even more drastic.

So is the Shield doing something to send things out properly in BT2020?

And on another note I also watched the Friday episode of Agents of SHIELD from AMAzon last night. I tried to watch it from the Shield, but for some reason the A/V was not in sync. It was fine with Vudu. And my other devices are also in sync for it with Amazon. Without having to use a manual adjustment. So is there an A/V sync issue that is known with Amazon?
If what you were watching was SDR content then BT2020 will look wrong. I know there are some posts here that say their colors look fine when they use BT2020 with SDR, but in those cases the right conversions are being made. By definition, BT2020 is not intended to be used with SDR content and is intended for HDR. For SDR use Rec709.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Yes. I've had A/V sync issues with the Amazon app on both of my Shields that are hooked up to AVRs for about as long as the Amazon app has been available natively for Shield.

However, just recently, I've started having A/V sync issues when the following criteria is met:
1) Using Plex
2) to bitstream lossless (TrueHD/HD-MA) content.

I don't have an A/V sync issue when using Plex to bitstream dolby digital.
And I don't have A/V sync issues when using Kodi to bitstream TrueHD/HD-MA.

I'm not sure what the cause is, but as we generally prefer Plex in my house (mostly for the watched start / start-resume syncing) I'm eager to find a solution.

Edit/update while the timing of this firmware update oddly coincides with my Plex A/V sync erros, on a VERY positive note, I think there's a pretty good chance that this firmware update just *fixed* my SDR-->HDR colorspace conversion issues with my Shield... would be interested to hear if @groove93 has noticed any benefit as well.
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/blu-ray-UDP-20x-Firmware.aspx

I'll play around with it more tonight, but I think I might be done manually flipping back and forth from SDR to HDR... at first glance I think this is right. "Pleased" would be an understatement on how I feel about this...

Reactions: beerhunt

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Yes. I've had A/V sync issues with the Amazon app on both of my Shields that are hooked up to AVRs for about as long as the Amazon app has been available natively for Shield.

However, just recently, I've started having A/V sync issues when the following criteria is met:
1) Using Plex
2) to bitstream lossless (TrueHD/HD-MA) content.

I don't have an A/V sync issue when using Plex to bitstream dolby digital.
And I don't have A/V sync issues when using Kodi to bitstream TrueHD/HD-MA.

I'm not sure what the cause is, but as we generally prefer Plex in my house (mostly for the watched start / start-resume syncing) I'm eager to find a solution.

Edit/update while the timing of this firmware update oddly coincides with my Plex A/V sync erros, on a VERY positive note, I think there's a pretty good chance that this firmware update just *fixed* my SDR-->HDR colorspace conversion issues with my Shield... would be interested to hear if @groove93 has noticed any benefit as well.
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/blu-ray-UDP-20x-Firmware.aspx

I'll play around with it more tonight, but I think I might be done manually flipping back and forth from SDR to HDR... at first glance I think this is right. "Pleased" would be an understatement on how I feel about this...

I think I might have an issue with the latest update for SPMC. I updated my Oppo friday night and everything worked fine. I updated SPMC on my Shield yesterday, and everything worked fine until this afternoon. My TV has been rebooting when I attempt to play a video via SPMC. HDR doesn't engage when it's supposed to, and the display stays at 60p rather than changing to 24p when I stream a movie. When I finally get HDR and 24p to engage, my TV goes black, and eventually the TV reboots itself.

I thought it may have been the Oppo update, but everything is pointing towards SPMC as I haven't had these issues using Plex. I'm going to attempt to uninstall the updates to SPMC to see how things go.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
@psuKinger i read your responses in the Oppo 203 thread regarding the blank screen, and having to cycle your display to turn back on.

That is the exact issue I'm currently having. It appears that SPMC was not the issue, and everything now is pointing towards the Oppo. I performed a factory reset of the Oppo, but that did not fix the problem. Any of the UHD Rips I play via the Shield, the TV quits. I can play Blu Ray and DVD Rips, and they play just fine. Playing those same videos using the Oppo alone will all play fine.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
@psuKinger i read your responses in the Oppo 203 thread regarding the blank screen, and having to cycle your display to turn back on.

That is the exact issue I'm currently having. It appears that SPMC was not the issue, and everything now is pointing towards the Oppo. I performed a factory reset of the Oppo, but that did not fix the problem. Any of the UHD Rips I play via the Shield, the TV quits. I can play Blu Ray and DVD Rips, and they play just fine. Playing those same videos using the Oppo alone will all play fine.
Yep I agree with your assessment, and thanks for responding. The new firmware update is definitely causing some glitchy behaviour, which is a little frustrating (but ultimately fixable, I'd think).

As long as this is temporary, and Oppo tweaks this, if this ultimate fixes my "color space switching" problems with Shield, this will have been a tremendous update, for me at least...

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
It's definitely an Oppo issue. I removed the separate audio connection going into my receiver. I now have both audio and video playing through one HDMI cable, which goes from the Oppo to the receiver.

My 4k rips via Kodi now play fine on the Shield. Going to reinstall SPMC with the latest version.

I will address this with Oppo tech support.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
UHD Addict
37,088 Posts
If what you were watching was SDR content then BT2020 will look wrong. I know there are some posts here that say their colors look fine when they use BT2020 with SDR, but in those cases the right conversions are being made. By definition, BT2020 is not intended to be used with SDR content and is intended for HDR. For SDR use Rec709.
Yes I know it should look wrong. But it didn't. It looked identical to the other devices outputting rec709. Thats why I was wondering what the shield was doing.
But I guess since it looked correct, the right conversion is taking place. But my Sony TV was definitely receiving BT2020 from the Shield when I made the comparisons.
Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB) using Tapatalk

Reactions: shoman94

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Yes I know it should look wrong. But it didn't. It looked identical to the other devices outputting rec709. Thats why I was wondering what the shield was doing.
But I guess since it looked correct, the right conversion is taking place. But my Sony TV was definitely receiving BT2020 from the Shield when I made the comparisons.
Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB) using Tapatalk
I get the same... If I remember correctly I think there are some blurays that are mastered in SDR bt2020 also.

Sent from my LG-V30 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nvidia newbie here...I've been searching for an answer to this, but I cannot find one newer than 2015. I just hooked up my Nvidia Shield and am having no luck in getting it to recognize my WD passport HD thru the USB port..not even sure what app plays these files.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Nvidia newbie here...I've been searching for an answer to this, but I cannot find one newer than 2015. I just hooked up my Nvidia Shield and am having no luck in getting it to recognize my WD passport HD thru the USB port..not even sure what app plays these files.
How is it formatted?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I watched an episode of BlindSpot from Vudu last night on my Shield.
What FW version is your Shield on?

As I've mentioned previously, the Vudu app on Shield is putting out video levels that are low, manifesting as darker video. This on the current 6.3 FW, with current Vudu app.

I'm curious if you have the same issue - I didn't know I had it until I compared Vudu output from my Roku Ultra (which I don't use for other reasons / issues), and Sony x700/x800 units (stutter at 24p output...)

I think it is a recent issue - I had been holding at FW 5.2 on the Shield, and just within the last week updated, holding my breath. Fortunately, 6.3 fixes the video stutter that was there in the older FW, and doesn't require kludges or fixes to sidestep, but the Vudu app - the one I really need - has got issues now.

It is independent of HDMI mode - Vudu video level is low no matter which settings you choose for HDMI, whereas if you play the same movie from Google Play, or Amazon (on the Shield) it isn't dark.

Interestingly, if I "Cast" to the Shield via the Vudu app on my phone, the video levels are correct - no changes to Shield HDMI output etc... But play same movie again through the App, and its back to darker.

I prefer Vudu for the extended surround on some titles, and Atmos on the UHD titles.

AFAIK, Vudu is unique in this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How is it formatted?
It turned out that it was the USB cord, of all things.

5741 - 5760 of 14550 Posts