AVS Forum banner

8261 - 8280 of 14757 Posts

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/29/alexa-shield-tv-skill-amazon/

Possibly a roll out. I abandoned my Echo for a Google Home Mini last year. For now I'd check to see that both the Shield and Echo Dot are up to date.

Amazon Prime Atmos support works for some of us here, and I've only seen Jack Ryan as an Atmos Compatible source.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Say More: Control SHIELD TV with Amazon Echo Devices

Has anyone gotten the Alexa skill to work? I've enabled the skill and my dot says i'm connected to Shield, but when i try using the skill my dot says it can't find "Shield"

Also, supposedly the amazon app should now output Atmos, but i've tried Jack Ryan and am only getting DD5.1.

"The company also announced a new addition for those using Shield TV with Amazon content: Dolby Atmos passthrough support for Prime Video."

Is there a system upgrade needed for the shield to begin using these new features?
I have two Shields and get the ATMOS sound track for Jack Ryan using the Amazon app on both. AFAIK it is only on the 4k version of the show which is listed separately on the app so make sure you are playing the right one.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have two Shields and get the ATMOS sound track for Jack Ryan using the Amazon app on both. AFAIK it is only on the 4k version of the show which is listed separately on the app so make sure you are playing the right one.
Is there some setting that enables the Atmos for Amazon. I've got Jack Ryan playing right now and am only getting 5.1

I know I've got the 4K version since HDR kicks in.

I fired up a movie in Kodi and get Atmos with no problem, so I'm wondering if there's a setting for the Amazon app.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Is there some setting that enables the Atmos for Amazon. I've got Jack Ryan playing right now and am only getting 5.1

I fired up a movie in Kodi and get Atmos with no problem, so I'm wondering if there's a setting for the Amazon app.
No setting adjustments, but be sure you are accessing the Ultra 4K version of Jack Ryan. Other than an uninstall of the app itself, then reinstall, there's no need to make any adjustments to the App or Shield.

·
Registered
698 Posts
thanks @groove93 and @mjwagner

I did try reinstalling - actually just cleared cache and data. I guess since it's a system app you can't remove and reinstall.

Went thru the activation for the app and did a restart, still getting 5.1 on Jack Ryan UHD.

I just don't get it.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts

I did try reinstalling - actually just cleared cache and data. I guess since it's a system app you can't remove and reinstall.

Went thru the activation for the app and did a restart, still getting 5.1 on Jack Ryan UHD.

I just don't get it.
I just tried mine. I get 4K HDR no problem, but no Atmos. When I stream from my local media server, I get TrueHD Atmos and DTS:X no problem, so the Shield knows it is a supported audio codec.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts

I just don't get it.
So it's been several weeks since my wife and I binge watched Jack Ryan. When we did we were getting 4k HDR with ATMOS no problem on the Shield, at least once Amazon enabled it. I just went and pulled one of the episodes up and low and behold, no ATMOS...WTF! Since I also have a FireTV 4k "dongle" connected to that AVR I switched over to that and tried Jack Ryan. When you use the FireTV device, while the episode is playing you hit the "menu" key and then you can look at the available audio options (that's how you select the ATMOS track). What do you know, ATMOS is no longer listed. Only Stereo and DD...WTF! And to be clear, when Jack Ryan first came out we watched the first two episodes using the FireTV 4k "dongle" because we were able to get ATMOS using it and at that point Amazon had not enabled ATMOS on the Shield app. Not sure what is going on. Perhaps Amazon switched off the ATMOS sound track on their end? Perhaps someone else with a ATMOS capable FireTV streaming device can check for us?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Chatting w/ Amazon support right now to get some info....

·
Registered
698 Posts
I feel for you if you're chatting with Amazon support because they are usually clueless. :eek:

:p Yeah, that's been my experience too. But at least so far he's been able to confirm that they did turn Atmos off for a while, but supposedly turned it back on.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well, not sure if it was a canned response, but they guy I chatted with said there's a known issue and they are working on it.

from the chat session:

"Seems that this service is not co-operating with our service at the moment. I checked in with our engineers and they are working to have it resolved but it is a known issue. We do not have a specific timescale on exactly when it will be resolved however we are trying our best to get this sorted as soon as possible."

I've requested an email notification of when the problem is resolved. We'll see how it goes.

Reactions: giomania

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
for you folks who were streaming jack ryan atmos via amazon app and now suddenly arent, i know it's a silly thing, but are you giving it enough time to ramp up the streaming bitrate? sometimes when i start a stream (happens on everything, netflix, amazon, vudu etc) it takes up to 2 minutes for the bitrate to ramp up and stabilize. it will start in sd, move to hd after a minute or so, 4k after another minute and then hdr a few seconds later. maybe it's starting at dd+ until your network feed settles down and stabilizes on atmos?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
for you folks who were streaming jack ryan atmos via amazon app and now suddenly arent, i know it's a silly thing, but are you giving it enough time to ramp up the streaming bitrate? sometimes when i start a stream (happens on everything, netflix, amazon, vudu etc) it takes up to 2 minutes for the bitrate to ramp up and stabilize. it will start in sd, move to hd after a minute or so, 4k after another minute and then hdr a few seconds later. maybe it's starting at dd+ until your network feed settles down and stabilizes on atmos?
I've seen the video bitrate take a little time to ramp up (mostly on Netflix), but I've never had the audio stream require anything special. And when I tried Jack Ryan this morning, I had 4K/HDR almost immediately.

·
Registered
698 Posts

So are you saying that right now, you get atmos with Jack Ryan? Cause according to them, they're working on a known issue after disabling , then reenabling atmos to their app.

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
Well, not sure if it was a canned response, but they guy I chatted with said there's a known issue and they are working on it.

from the chat session:

"Seems that this service is not co-operating with our service at the moment. I checked in with our engineers and they are working to have it resolved but it is a known issue. We do not have a specific timescale on exactly when it will be resolved however we are trying our best to get this sorted as soon as possible."

I've requested an email notification of when the problem is resolved. We'll see how it goes.
I'm glad I already finished watching "Jack Ryan" if its currently not providing Atmos audio.

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
You don't need it to ramp up for audio. It might take a while to reach 2160p (Ultra HD) video but it will provide Atmos audio as soon as you start watching it.

·
UHD Addict
37,449 Posts
It shouldn't matter. It's encoded in HDR and DD+/Atmos for all the resolutions, when playing back a UHD HDR title.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Yes. Definitely appears to be a problem at their end.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
You don't need it to ramp up for audio. It might take a while to reach 2160p (Ultra HD) video but it will provide Atmos audio as soon as you start watching it.
Yeah, like I said the selection is no longer even in the audio options menu when using the app on the FireTV device. It only lists stereo and DD+. It was there and played fine when we watched the last episode which was 3 weeks ago or so.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Say More: Control SHIELD TV with Amazon Echo Devices

Has anyone gotten the Alexa skill to work? I've enabled the skill and my dot says i'm connected to Shield, but when i try using the skill my dot says it can't find "Shield"

Also, supposedly the amazon app should now output Atmos, but i've tried Jack Ryan and am only getting DD5.1.

"The company also announced a new addition for those using Shield TV with Amazon content: Dolby Atmos passthrough support for Prime Video."

Is there a system upgrade needed for the shield to begin using these new features?
And when will this be available outside the US? Anyone know.

8261 - 8280 of 14757 Posts