AVS Forum banner

8701 - 8720 of 14545 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
At TV screen sizes, the difference between blu ray and dolby vision is not noticeable to me.

At 12' wide from 9.5' viewing distance, 4k with bad HDR looks AWESOME to me.

I know exactly what Dolby Vision means and I don't appreciate that comment.

I am sorry that my opinions and experiences don't match yours and therefore I am a source of belittlement for all of you.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
At TV screen sizes, the difference between blu ray and dolby vision is not noticeable to me.

At 12' wide from 9.5' viewing distance, 4k with bad HDR looks AWESOME to me.

I know exactly what Dolby Vision means and I don't appreciate that comment.

I am sorry that my opinions and experiences don't match yours and therefore I am a source of belittlement for all of you.
Dolby Vision is not a Display Resolution.

Blu Ray and 4K at smaller screen sizes should be the correct statement.

When dealing with HDR, whether it be Dolby Vision, HDR10, HLG, or HDR10+, you are dealing with an enhancement of the Colorspace. These formats use rec2020 which increases the Color Gamut from 8 bit to 10 and 12 Bit, depending on the format used.

·
Registered
58 Posts
@psuKinger I read a couple of your posts and it seems that you have delved into the Shield's capabilities quite a lot. I will appreciate if you could clarify a few rudimentary things about Nvidia Shield to me.

I am new to HTS and digital home entertainment. I stream media these days from Netflix and YouTube via chromecast or an old Sony Upscale HD Blu-ray player. I'm currently shopping on a media player since I' returning newly bought Sony UBP-X800. I want to have the player to be capable of playing 4K video and audio (passing thru) Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio, MPL FBA 8CH codec etc from mkv or mp4 files. I am learning about Nvidia Shield and kinda interested to be my main player. I could potentially set up a NAS, Plex in near future.

I'm not fully aware of the current status of digital entertainment or HTS. If I understood correctly, Nvidia Shield is good a set-top box/streaming device and doesn't have any built-in media player? To organize/play high-end media files from an external HDD (or NAS) connected to Shield, I need Plex, Kodi, infuse Pro or MrMc. And these apps need to be loaded on to Shield. Amongst these, Plex is unable to play 4k hdr. I'm mostly streaming from Netfilx and YouTube. Is Shield capable of playing just 4K HDR content without Dolby Vision? Can I play music (stereo 2.0) files using Shield+Plex/Kodi/infuse Pro/MrMc? Is the audio output somewhat modified by Shield's own processor?

I'm also interested to know if there are other options within this price range.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I don’t understand the fuss over Dolby vision.

You can put all the detail and color and all that you want. It’s still a 65” screen. Way too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't understand the fuss over Prime Rib. It's all steak - like Sirloin. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
I'm going to talk out of both sides of my mouth here, I'm aware of that, and I'm acknowledging it right up front here in the first paragraph. That said:

1) It is true that part of my criteria for buying the 4K HDR TV "of my dreams" (went with a 75" Sony 940E, fwiw), one of my REQUIREMENTS/check-boxes I *had to have* was Dolby Vision support, and I also required the same from my 4k HDR blu ray player (went with an OPPO UDP-203, fwiw). It didn't make any sense to me to spend that kind of money on that kind of gear and NOT spend a little bit more/make sure I had support for both HDR10 and DV...

2) As someone that owns a Dolby-Vision capable TV (Sony 940E) and a Dolby-Vision capable blu ray player (OPPO UDP-203), I find the difference in quality between Medium Rare USDA-Prime (true) Prime Rib and USDA Choice grocery store Sirloin to be significantly greater than the difference between HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

It's a law-of-diminishing returns game. And I get it. This is a niche community (and I'm part of it), we're enthusiasts. We sweat the small things. We reach and claw and pay a premium to get just a small little bit more performance improvement out of our A/V gear. I do it too.

But this is one topic on this forum that I generally find most posters make a bigger deal out of then I do. I prefer to buy 4K UHD discs that support Dolby Vision over ones that don't, but I usually don't even bother switching over from my Shield to the native OS on my smart TV to get the "performance bump" from HDR10 to DV for compressed (streaming) content; is it an improvement? Yes. I believe it is. I just don't think it's AS BIG A DEAL as many on here make it out to be. Certainly not as big a deal as the difference between prime rib and sirloin steak.

/end rant

[Edit/Update/Correction] I DO think Dolby Vision is a bigger deal for OLED owners (with lesser peak brightness capabilities but greater super-dark shadow detail) than it is for those of us that have super-bright-capable higher end LCDs. It think the ability remap what original content's brightness into the brightness capabilities of your specific set, on a scene-by-scene basis, adds a lot more value to an OLED owner who might have the brightness of the entire 2 hour flick scaled down pretty far just because for one brief moment the content called for a super bright (well-off-scale) image to appear... that super-bright well-off-scale image isn't "as far off scale" (or isn't "off-scale-at-all") if your set is just more capable at high-peak-brightness, and the remapping affects aren't as significant. OLED has a bunch of benefits in its own right... I'm not saying it doesn't. I'm just saying lower-peak-brightness sets, OLED or not, get a bigger performance bump from Dolby Vision than sets with higher peak brightness capabilities.

Reactions: Spinningbull

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
@psuKinger I read a couple of your posts and it seems that you have delved into the Shield's capabilities quite a lot. I will appreciate if you could clarify a few rudimentary things about Nvidia Shield to me.

I am new to HTS and digital home entertainment. I stream media these days from Netflix and YouTube via chromecast or an old Sony Upscale HD Blu-ray player. I'm currently shopping on a media player since I' returning newly bought Sony UBP-X800. I want to have the player to be capable of playing 4K video and audio (passing thru) Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio, MPL FBA 8CH codec etc from mkv or mp4 files. I am learning about Nvidia Shield and kinda interested to be my main player. I could potentially set up a NAS, Plex in near future.

I'm not fully aware of the current status of digital entertainment or HTS. If I understood correctly, Nvidia Shield is good a set-top box/streaming device and doesn't have any built-in media player? To organize/play high-end media files from an external HDD (or NAS) connected to Shield, I need Plex, Kodi, infuse Pro or MrMc. And these apps need to be loaded on to Shield. Amongst these, Plex is unable to play 4k hdr. I'm mostly streaming from Netfilx and YouTube. Is Shield capable of playing just 4K HDR content without Dolby Vision? Can I play music (stereo 2.0) files using Shield+Plex/Kodi/infuse Pro/MrMc? Is the audio output somewhat modified by Shield's own processor?

I'm also interested to know if there are other options within this price range.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks for the kind words. I think I had a broader and more complete understanding of the Shield's capabilities (for use-cases other than my own) and a more informed opinion on "what else is out there" a year or so ago. I was *VERY* active in this thread (and the one over on the HTPC subforum) for a big chunk of 2016 and 2017. This is the box that I had been waiting for for years. I bought one, and one quickly became 2, and then more... within 6 months, as nvidia rolled out more and more updates and apps like HDHomeRun View and HBO Now progressed further and further, I ripped out all my old "Win7 Windows Media Center gear" (Xbox 360's and Ceton Echos as "Extenders") and hung Shields on almost all of my TVs... I think they're great little swiss-army knives that do almost everything approximately as well as pretty much anything else.

I don't do Atmos or DTS:X, but I believe it does. Same thing for mp4 files. I don't know that I personally have any mp4 files, but I believe Shield supports them. I'm unfamiliar with DTS-High Resolution, MPL FBA etc, so I can't help you there. But I can confirm with 100% certainty (my own use-case) that Shield will stream bit-for-bit uncompressed Blu Ray and 4K UHD blu ray rips, and bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD-MA in such a way that your AVR will light up with the "TrueHD symbol". This is one of the biggest appeals to Shield, for me at least...

Shield does have a built in media player. If you download a file browsing app like "ES File Browser" from the google play store, you can navigate directly to files stored on your Shield (or accessible to your Shield by way of USB, over your intranet, etc) and play them back even if you haven't downloaded ANY other media playback software. I haven't done it that way in years, though. There was a time when doing it that way would only work (AND support TrueHD/HD-MA passthrough, which was important to me) for people that had run their MKVs through a program called MKVMerge (or similar?). My MKVs come straight out of MakeMKV, and as such, at least as of early 2016, I couldn't bitstream HD-MA or TrueHD that way.

I use Plex almost exclusively at this point. But I also did a lot with both Kodi and SPMC (a Kodi-fork specific to AndroidTV). All 3 of those options will work VERY WELL for uncompressed blu ray playback with lossless audio bitstreaming (and I believe some if not all of the other formats you mentioned are supported; I simply don't have/use/do that).

And yes Shield will stream 4K HDR content to the "HDR10" standard. This will work for compressed streaming apps like Netflix and Amazon, and it will also work for 4K UHD rips via Plex (and Kodi/SPMC I'm sure but never tried).

The shield's biggest criticism around here is real/warranted. It's not a very good upscaler of non-4k content to 4k resolution. With test patterns on and a dining room chair pulled up to within 2 or 3 feet of my 75" set, the jaggies/diagonals that the test patterns tell you to look for are readily apparent. And Shield doesn't support resolution switching, so you have to manually (in settings) change from 1080p to 4k resolution...

But, (purely in my opinion and using my eyes), I personally can't see those jaggies on those test patterns when sitting on my couch (12' away). And I can't see much of a difference (a very minor difference, maybe) in real-world-non-test-pattern content, either.

My opinion has always been, and still is, that the Shield is a remarkable device (for me) because it does a very nice job doing ALL (not just some) of the following:
1) It replaced all of my comcast cable boxes; I access my entire cable package and whole-home-dvr recordings on it by way of multiple apps/options (the one I use most is HDHomeRun View). I save a lot of money on my monthly cable bill because of it.
2) It replaced my "local media streaming" box (WDTV live SMP) and bitstreams bit-for-bit uncompressed blu ray (and 4K HDR) blu ray rips WITH lossless audio bitstreaming.
3) It handles all of my streaming subscriptions, with very few gaps/holes/misses, at least for my use case (Youtube HDR is the most glaring complaint, for me at least; and if there's any app I use were quality generally matters *the least* and Content matters *the most*, it's youtube videos, again "IMO")
4) I was a VERY avid gamer in my younger days (as I think many of us were). The time period in which I started adopting Shields also happened to overlap with the time period in which my oldest son first started to get to an age where he had an interest in gaming. These things are probably a step down, gaming wise, from an XBox One or PS4, but if you're comparing them to other "streaming media players" like Rokus, FireTVs, AppleTVs, etc, these Shields STOMP all over that competition. There's some pretty legit gaming content available via 4 seperate "paths" on these things (local Android downloadable content, free GeForce Now streaming content over Nvidia's cloud computers, paid GeForce Now content (valid Steam purchases, etc) using NVidia's cloud computers, and local streaming from an on-network gaming PC (NVidia Gamestream or Steam Portal)).

I don't think there's another option on the market that checks all four of those boxes (or maybe even any 3 out of those 4) as well as Shield does. As long as the lack of Dolby Vision support and Youtube HDR support aren't dealbreakers for you, I personally think they're great boxes. We love them in my house. I've introduced A TON of different tech over the years, and my WAF was never higher then when I ripped out "all the other stuff" that each one of these Shields replaced and just put one of these in on all the TVs that my wife and kids regularly use...

Reactions: baddogud

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I'm going to talk out of both sides of my mouth here, I'm aware of that, and I'm acknowledging it right up front here in the first paragraph. That said:

1) It is true that part of my criteria for buying the 4K HDR TV "of my dreams" (went with a 75" Sony 940E, fwiw), one of my REQUIREMENTS/check-boxes I *had to have* was Dolby Vision support, and I also required the same from my 4k HDR blu ray player (went with an OPPO UDP-203, fwiw). It didn't make any sense to me to spend that kind of money on that kind of gear and NOT spend a little bit more/make sure I had support for both HDR10 and DV...

2) As someone that owns a Dolby-Vision capable TV (Sony 940E) and a Dolby-Vision capable blu ray player (OPPO UDP-203), I find the difference in quality between Medium Rare USDA-Prime (true) Prime Rib and USDA Choice grocery store Sirloin to be significantly greater than the difference between HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

It's a law-of-diminishing returns game. And I get it. This is a niche community (and I'm part of it), we're enthusiasts. We sweat the small things. We reach and claw and pay a premium to get just a small little bit more performance improvement out of our A/V gear. I do it too.

But this is one topic on this forum that I generally find most posters make a bigger deal out of then I do. I prefer to buy 4K UHD discs that support Dolby Vision over ones that don't, but I usually don't even bother switching over from my Shield to the native OS on my smart TV to get the "performance bump" from HDR10 to DV for compressed (streaming) content; is it an improvement? Yes. I believe it is. I just don't think it's AS BIG A DEAL as many on here make it out to be. Certainly not as big a deal as the difference between prime rib and sirloin steak.

/end rant

My feelings exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
920 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. I think I had a broader and more complete understanding of the Shield's capabilities (for use-cases other than my own) and a more informed opinion on "what else is out there" a year or so ago. I was *VERY* active in this thread (and the one over on the HTPC subforum) for a big chunk of 2016 and 2017. This is the box that I had been waiting for for years. I bought one, and one quickly became 2, and then more... within 6 months, as nvidia rolled out more and more updates and apps like HDHomeRun View and HBO Now progressed further and further, I ripped out all my old "Win7 Windows Media Center gear" (Xbox 360's and Ceton Echos as "Extenders") and hung Shields on almost all of my TVs... I think they're great little swiss-army knives that do almost everything approximately as well as pretty much anything else.

I don't do Atmos or DTS:X, but I believe it does. Same thing for mp4 files. I don't know that I personally have any mp4 files, but I believe Shield supports them. I'm unfamiliar with DTS-High Resolution, MPL FBA etc, so I can't help you there. But I can confirm with 100% certainty (my own use-case) that Shield will stream bit-for-bit uncompressed Blu Ray and 4K UHD blu ray rips, and bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD-MA in such a way that your AVR will light up with the "TrueHD symbol". This is one of the biggest appeals to Shield, for me at least...

Shield does have a built in media player. If you download a file browsing app like "ES File Browser" from the google play store, you can navigate directly to files stored on your Shield (or accessible to your Shield by way of USB, over your intranet, etc) and play them back even if you haven't downloaded ANY other media playback software. I haven't done it that way in years, though. There was a time when doing it that way would only work (AND support TrueHD/HD-MA passthrough, which was important to me) for people that had run their MKVs through a program called MKVMerge (or similar?). My MKVs come straight out of MakeMKV, and as such, at least as of early 2016, I couldn't bitstream HD-MA or TrueHD that way.

I use Plex almost exclusively at this point. But I also did a lot with both Kodi and SPMC (a Kodi-fork specific to AndroidTV). All 3 of those options will work VERY WELL for uncompressed blu ray playback with lossless audio bitstreaming (and I believe some if not all of the other formats you mentioned are supported; I simply don't have/use/do that).

And yes Shield will stream 4K HDR content to the "HDR10" standard. This will work for compressed streaming apps like Netflix and Amazon, and it will also work for 4K UHD rips via Plex (and Kodi/SPMC I'm sure but never tried).

The shield's biggest criticism around here is real/warranted. It's not a very good upscaler of non-4k content to 4k resolution. With test patterns on and a dining room chair pulled up to within 2 or 3 feet of my 75" set, the jaggies/diagonals that the test patterns tell you to look for are readily apparent. And Shield doesn't support resolution switching, so you have to manually (in settings) change from 1080p to 4k resolution...

But, (purely in my opinion and using my eyes), I personally can't see those jaggies on those test patterns when sitting on my couch (12' away). And I can't see much of a difference (a very minor difference, maybe) in real-world-non-test-pattern content, either.

My opinion has always been, and still is, that the Shield is a remarkable device (for me) because it does a very nice job doing ALL (not just some) of the following:
1) It replaced all of my comcast cable boxes; I access my entire cable package and whole-home-dvr recordings on it by way of multiple apps/options (the one I use most is HDHomeRun View). I save a lot of money on my monthly cable bill because of it.
2) It replaced my "local media streaming" box (WDTV live SMP) and bitstreams bit-for-bit uncompressed blu ray (and 4K HDR) blu ray rips WITH lossless audio bitstreaming.
3) It handles all of my streaming subscriptions, with very few gaps/holes/misses, at least for my use case (Youtube HDR is the most glaring complaint, for me at least; and if there's any app I use were quality generally matters *the least* and Content matters *the most*, it's youtube videos, again "IMO")
4) I was a VERY avid gamer in my younger days (as I think may of us are). The time period in which I started adopting Shields also happened to overlap with the time period in which my oldest son first started to get to an age where he had an interest in gaming. These things are probably a step down, gaming wise, from an XBox One or PS4, but if you're comparing them to other "streaming media players" like Rokus, FireTVs, AppleTVs, etc, these Shields STOMP all over that competition. There's some pretty legit gaming content available via 4 seperate "paths" on these things (local Android downloadable content, free GeForce Now streaming content over Nvidia's cloud computers, paid GeForce Now content (valid Steam purchases, etc) using NVidia's cloud computers, and local streaming from an on-network gaming PC (NVidia Gamestream or Steam Portal)).

I don't think there's another option on the market that checks all four of those boxes (or maybe even any 3 out of those 4) as well as Shield does. As long as the lack of Dolby Vision support and Youtube HDR support aren't dealbreakers for you, I personally think they're great boxes. We love them in my house. I've introduced A TON of different tech over the years, and my WAF was never higher then when I ripped out "all the other stuff" that each one of these Shields replaced and just put one of these in on all the TVs that my wife and kids regularly use...
I use the Shield to play all my 4K HDR material and it does a great job! The only 2 issues I have is like you said it is a terrible upscaler, possibly the worst I have seen. And for some, like myself who use a JVC projector there is no auto colour space switching which is my biggest issue when moving from 1080P material to 4K material.

·
Registered
58 Posts

4) I was a VERY avid gamer in my younger days (as I think many of us were). The time period in which I started adopting Shields also happened to overlap with the time period in which my oldest son first started to get to an age where he had an interest in gaming. These things are probably a step down, gaming wise, from an XBox One or PS4, but if you're comparing them to other "streaming media players" like Rokus, FireTVs, AppleTVs, etc, these Shields STOMP all over that competition. There's some pretty legit gaming content available via 4 seperate "paths" on these things (local Android downloadable content, free GeForce Now streaming content over Nvidia's cloud computers, paid GeForce Now content (valid Steam purchases, etc) using NVidia's cloud computers, and local streaming from an on-network gaming PC (NVidia Gamestream or Steam Portal)).

Awesome. You've written an extraordinary summary that clarified more than what I asked for. Thank you veru much for sharing the knowledge base.

Could you please comment on two more things -
1. Is Shield modify the Color rendering during playing movie using its proprietary processor? Or, maintain the industry standards.
2. While playing audio files such as music, CD rips, .mp3, FLAC etc. Is Shield modifies the quality of sound using its own processor or just pass them thru to AVR.

I truly appreciate your time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use the Shield to play all my 4K HDR material and it does a great job! The only 2 issues I have is like you said it is a terrible upscaler, possibly the worst I have seen. And for some, like myself who use a JVC projector there is no auto colour space switching which is my biggest issue when moving from 1080P material to 4K material.
Thanks for adding your point which made me think what would happen to my projector, BenQ HT2550 True 4k UHD HDR ? Can I mannualy control the Shield or the projector to play at 1080p and not upscale it. I am projecting about 150" diagonally. Would the picture pixelate or blurry at 1080p?

I appreciate any comment on this.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Thanks for adding your point which made me think what would happen to my projector, BenQ HT2550 True 4k UHD HDR ? Can I mannualy control the Shield or the projector to play at 1080p and not upscale it. I am projecting about 150" diagonally. Would the picture pixelate or blurry at 1080p?

I appreciate any comment on this.
I am not sure about that but when I switched over the main video preferences to 4K Rec 703 in the shield menu it still played at 4K Rec 2020 through Kodi.

For all 1080P material I use my Oppo 103D and upscale it to 4K and then send that to the projector and I find it does a great job.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I used to have major issues with ARC between my Samsung and a Yamaha AVR. However, the AVR was a few years old, and I decided to try a newer one. I replaced it with another Yamaha, and it's been flawless since. Plus, this Yamaha displays the volume level on screen if I'm used an external player, so I don't have to squint at the display from across the floor to see the level. I certainly had my share of issues with ARC before, some caused by the Samsung I have no doubt. But replacing the AVR did the trick for me. And it's not a high end AVR by any means. It's probably their lowest model with Atmos/DTS:X and 4K/HDR support.

I like ARC because I can have only one input to my soundbar from the TV. My TV (Sony 900E 2017) supports audio passthrough to ARC from native apps and HDMI input devices (Shield TV). All 5.1 audio formats are passed to a Visio soundbar to be decoded to standard DD or DTS. ARC and passthrough support allow me to use a cheap soundbar for surround sound. It keeps my HT setup clean, cheap, and effective.

The only time I had a problem with ARC was from a C64 mini connected to the TV with HDMI. When the C64 mini was turned off while still connected to HDMI, it blocked all ARC output from the TV to the soundbar. It was a weird issue, but it was logically confirmed to be the cause.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
At least when using Kodi, I can have the Shield set on 4K 59.xxx, and if I'm playing a 1080 video my TV reports it's receiving a 1080 signal. So perhaps that's why I've never noticed the scaling issues that others are mentioning. Neither my AVR nor my TV report color space, so I have no idea what it is sending. I do know that when I play a UHD rip from my server, HDR10 is enabled and it looks as good as my quasi-HDR Samsung display can do. And colors look fine when playing a "normal" 1080 Blu Ray rip. Perhaps the version of Kodi I am using (18 beta release candidate) has improved over past performance.

·
Registered
384 Posts
One thing that I recently learned but always had this setup in practice, is that setting your display's RGB settings to Limited helped in eliminating the "washed out look" on my TV as well. It's a Sony so the tone mapping between this display and the Shield has been pretty solid and can be said by many users with this particular combination of hardware.

On the other hand, I recently purchased an XBox One X and had to set the RGB Settings within this device to "Full". If I set it to limited, I would get washed out colors when viewing content from Plex or Netflix.

So now the TV still stays at Limited, while the XB1X is set to Full. The Shield has no such setting.

Getting off topic here, but both the Shield and the XB1X are Powerful devices, and they are only crippled by software. When it comes to streaming Media, the little 3 year old Shield stomps the Xbox. So if Microsoft keeps up the Xbox for the next few years, it could be potentially be a worth while all around media box. Many of us who owned the Shield since 2015 already know how limited it was compared to now, and back then the Shield was still a worthy Device to own IMO.

Several things kill the XB1X as a media device. It doesn't support HDMI CEC, so I can't control the XBox with my TV remote. The audio passthrough feature doesn't auto switch between DD and DTS (The BD player feature does though). Kodi on Xbox displays with blank menus sometimes, and MS doesn't support audio passthrough on 3rd party apps including Kodi.

I use the Shield over my TV apps because it's just faster overall than a Sony 900E. The Sony is getting an update soon that will allow PIP from the TV tuner while running an app. That will be a point for the TV, but it would be nice if PIP worked while using a device on another HDMI input (Shield), but it probably won't do that.

Use cases:
TV - OTA, TV guide
XB1X - AAA games, BD player, Internet browser
Shield - Streaming apps (Vudu, YouTube, Kodi (disk rips on SSD), Sling, ESPN), Android games

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Awesome. You've written an extraordinary summary that clarified more than what I asked for. Thank you veru much for sharing the knowledge base.

Could you please comment on two more things -
1. Is Shield modify the Color rendering during playing movie using its proprietary processor? Or, maintain the industry standards.
2. While playing audio files such as music, CD rips, .mp3, FLAC etc. Is Shield modifies the quality of sound using its own processor or just pass them thru to AVR.

I truly appreciate your time.
Apologies, I meant to address that second question in my original post, and got on a roll with all that rambling and lost sight of it.

For the second question, here's what I can tell you for certain: I've got a large collection of bit-for-bit 14/44.1 CD-quality flac rips (made via Exact Audio Copy), and a significantly smaller selection of HDTracks purchases at 24/44.1 and 24/96, and what I have done is played back all three of those file types on Shield via the Plex app, and confirmed by monitoring my Plex Server that ZERO TRANSCODING was taking place. I *think* that means the Shield can do precisely what your asking, universally, and I am *certain* it can do so by way of the Plex app. We use Shield several times a week to listen to music. I have no complaints about sound quality with it in the chain.

As for the first question, I'm not exactly sure I understand what's being asked, or exactly how to answer. What I can/will tell you is that, at various times over it's life-cycle, there have been serious questions raised about Picture Quality. There was (is?) a huge thread over on the NVidia Forums, I believe started by a guy named "Wesk", about all of this. For a while *everything* was off, then at some point (2016, I believe) NVidia pushed an update out that made it so that, for SDR only, 16-255 values started mapping correctly (+ or - error margin that most agreed was in the grass), but that HDR was still a mess. Then there was another update in early 2017 where, *only for some brands of smart TVs (I believe)*, the color-space mapping for HDR output of SDR content was fixed (Sony was one of the manufacturers that this was fixed for, Vizio and perhaps LG as well?).

I think the answer to your question is that "no, Shield fools around with the color values, and how well it does it I think is debatable." I think any time I box just has to sit at one output type (10-bit 4:2:0 BT.2020, for example), and output ALL content regardless of how it is natively, this is going to be the case. And last I heard, I think most/all of the "mainstream" solutions (from companies like Apple, Roku, Amazon, etc) work this way; they don't auto-switch color space to adjust to what's being played.

As a Sony owner, what I can tell you is that for the first 5 or 6 months of owning my upgraded HDR TV, Shield outputting at 10-bit 4:2:0 BT.2020 really fudged up/muted the colors while playing SDR content. Then, at some point in early 2017, an update came where Shield started properly mapping SDR (BT.709) color values into HDR (BT.2020) color space for my Sony TV... and that hasn't been a problem *for me* since then... others are, to my knowledge, still struggling/suffering with the deficiency.

Reactions: baddogud

·
Registered
733 Posts
Is there a way to force the shield to just play 4K SDR? I have tried a few different settings but I use Kodi as my player and when I start up a 4K movie it automatically switches over to HDR on my JVC x790 projector.

Ultimately I would love to try 4K 2020 but I do not believe there is a way for the shield to do this :confused:
I set up the filters so when you go into HDMI turn off recommend (4k hdr) and only rec709 4k and rec709 1080p come up and I switch between those depending if I’m watching 4k or sdr HD. It will force all apps to play sdr 4k, works in prime, google movies, Netflix ect. I don’t really use kodie for 4k but unfortunately it looks as of right now it won’t force 4k sdr in that app if it’s an hdr rip. Haven’t tried but others said same thing as you

On another note, do you guys have grey side bars on YouTube 4:3 sdr content? Or did I screw up a setting somewhere??

·
Registered
733 Posts
Apologies, I meant to address that second question in my original post, and got on a roll with all that rambling and lost sight of it.

For the second question, here's what I can tell you for certain: I've got a large collection of bit-for-bit 14/44.1 CD-quality flac rips (made via Exact Audio Copy), and a significantly smaller selection of HDTracks purchases at 24/44.1 and 24/96, and what I have done is played back all three of those file types on Shield via the Plex app, and confirmed by monitoring my Plex Server that ZERO TRANSCODING was taking place. I *think* that means the Shield can do precisely what your asking, universally, and I am *certain* it can do so by way of the Plex app. We use Shield several times a week to listen to music. I have no complaints about sound quality with it in the chain.

As for the first question, I'm not exactly sure I understand what's being asked, or exactly how to answer. What I can/will tell you is that, at various times over it's life-cycle, there have been serious questions raised about Picture Quality. There was (is?) a huge thread over on the NVidia Forums, I believe started by a guy named "Wesk", about all of this. For a while *everything* was off, then at some point (2016, I believe) NVidia pushed an update out that made it so that, for SDR only, 16-255 values started mapping correctly (+ or - error margin that most agreed was in the grass), but that HDR was still a mess. Then there was another update in early 2017 where, *only for some brands of smart TVs (I believe)*, the color-space mapping for HDR output of SDR content was fixed (Sony was one of the manufacturers that this was fixed for, Vizio and perhaps LG as well?).

I think the answer to your question is that "no, Shield fools around with the color values, and how well it does it I think is debatable." I think any time I box just has to sit at one output type (10-bit 4:2:0 BT.2020, for example), and output ALL content regardless of how it is natively, this is going to be the case. And last I heard, I think most/all of the "mainstream" solutions (from companies like Apple, Roku, Amazon, etc) work this way; they don't auto-switch color space to adjust to what's being played.

As a Sony owner, what I can tell you is that for the first 5 or 6 months of owning my upgraded HDR TV, Shield outputting at 10-bit 4:2:0 BT.2020 really fudged up/muted the colors while playing SDR content. Then, at some point in early 2017, an update came where Shield started properly mapping SDR (BT.709) color values into HDR (BT.2020) color space for my Sony TV... and that hasn't been a problem *for me* since then... others are, to my knowledge, still struggling/suffering with the deficiency.
Ya I’m on a sony 930e and I can force correct rec709 through shield thank god

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sony TV and shield Canada

Does anyone in Canada have a Sony TV from the last few years and can comment if using shield you get more than the generic sound that Sony offers?
I have a 930E, and using audio return on say Netflix or amazon I don’t get atmos. Also YouTube is limited to 1080p.
Is there anything to be gained? Many people I know have them but with old TV or with inferior sound system. A few stores couldn’t give me an answer.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Does anyone in Canada have a Sony TV from the last few years and can comment if using shield you get more than the generic sound that Sony offers?
I have a 930E, and using audio return on say Netflix or amazon I don’t get atmos. Also YouTube is limited to 1080p.
Is there anything to be gained? Many people I know have them but with old TV or with inferior sound system. A few stores couldn’t give me an answer.
I’m in Toronto and have the 930e, youtube is NOT limited to 1080p ? Lol as of Oreo update this week it now does hdr 4k and has always done sdr 4k.

I bought a shield to force sdr 4k for my over 70 4k google movies that all just became hdr only on the set. It force hdr colour spec even if it’s turned off. So I had a specific reason plus to play emulators and stream steam games.

It’s the exact same operating system and has all the same apps ect. Only benefits for the shield is specific roles and speed. The shield also has subpar upscaling so you have to manually switch between resolutions to let the tv do the upscaling.

Shield supports atmos I believe but I use my Xbox one x for atmos do not really sure

The 930 was the 3rd hi teir tv of 2017, even when the Sony “F” series tvs released in April it was rated as a better tv then the 900f. They discontinued the 930e as ppl were buying it as a high tier set instead of the flagship as it was $1000 cheaper. It’s no way old or obsolete

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’m in Toronto and have the 930e, youtube is NOT limited to 1080p ? Lol as of Oreo update this week it now does hdr 4k and has always done sdr 4k.

I bought a shield to force sdr 4k for my over 70 4k google movies that all just became hdr only on the set. It force hdr colour spec even if it’s turned off. So I had a specific reason plus to play emulators and stream steam games.

It’s the exact same operating system and has all the same apps ect. Only benefits for the shield is specific roles and speed. The shield also has subpar upscaling so you have to manually switch between resolutions to let the tv do the upscaling.

Shield supports atmos I believe but I use my Xbox one x for atmos do not really sure

The 930 was the 3rd hi teir tv of 2017, even when the Sony “F” series tvs released in April it was rated as a better tv then the 900f. They discontinued the 930e as ppl were buying it as a high tier set instead of the flagship as it was $1000 cheaper. It’s no way old or obsolete
Thanks. I’ve been away so I will check the update out.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
My intentions with the XB1X was for gaming purposes, but couldn't help but test its capabilities as a media streamer.

I'm not a big fan of the Atmos MAT format, plus constant HDR within Netflix. Watching Cheers in HDR............

When it comes to local media, I could not believe how the Xbox struggled. Monitoring information from my Plex Media Server, there was a lot of transcoding going on, and obviously the XBOX could not direct play any Lossless Audio (streaming-wise). I've yet to play any Physical copies of my UHDs in this console.

So the hardware is there, but the software side needs serious improvement.
Several things kill the XB1X as a media device. It doesn't support HDMI CEC, so I can't control the XBox with my TV remote. The audio passthrough feature doesn't auto switch between DD and DTS (The BD player feature does though). Kodi on Xbox displays with blank menus sometimes, and MS doesn't support audio passthrough on 3rd party apps including Kodi.

I use the Shield over my TV apps because it's just faster overall than a Sony 900E. The Sony is getting an update soon that will allow PIP from the TV tuner while running an app. That will be a point for the TV, but it would be nice if PIP worked while using a device on another HDMI input (Shield), but it probably won't do that.

Use cases:
TV - OTA, TV guide
XB1X - AAA games, BD player, Internet browser
Shield - Streaming apps (Vudu, YouTube, Kodi (disk rips on SSD), Sling, ESPN), Android games
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

8701 - 8720 of 14545 Posts