AVS Forum banner

8721 - 8740 of 14550 Posts

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
My intentions with the XB1X was for gaming purposes, but couldn't help but test its capabilities as a media streamer.

I'm not a big fan of the Atmos MAT format, plus constant HDR within Netflix. Watching Cheers in HDR............

When it comes to local media, I could not believe how the Xbox struggled. Monitoring information from my Plex Media Server, there was a lot of transcoding going on, and obviously the XBOX could not direct play any Lossless Audio (streaming-wise). I've yet to play any Physical copies of my UHDs in this console.

So the hardware is there, but the software side needs serious improvement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sometimes, especially with the lossless audio, it's a licensing issue. Sony used to bitstream my DTS-MA tracks from my server, but the latest boxes will only bitstream TrueHD. Rooku won't bitstream either, and the user consensus is because of licensing. Sounds link Microsoft doesn't want to pay the license fees to allow bitstreaming local media. They have to support it via actual disk playback, because users expect that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
@psuKinger okay, I returned the Sony UBP-X800 and got the Nvidia Shield. Plugged it in and got it started. Installed Plex and Kodi. Plex can't find any server nor identified my external HDD but Kodi did. It is playing Netflix, YouTube, Spotify content seamlessly but in stereo only.

Now I'm wondering how do I get 'multi-channel' to show up on the AVR. It's playing Dolby Atmos demo files in stereo. Other files that previously was played in 6Ch as Dolby Digital, DTS, Surround are now all in stereo.

I'm sure I'm doing something fundamentally wrong. Little bit of help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
733 Posts
@psuKinger okay, I returned the Sony UBP-X800 and got the Nvidia Shield. Plugged it in and got it started. Installed Plex and Kodi. Plex can't find any server nor identified my external HDD but Kodi did. It is playing Netflix, YouTube, Spotify content seamlessly but in stereo only.

Now I'm wondering how do I get 'multi-channel' to show up on the AVR. It's playing Dolby Atmos demo files in stereo. Other files that previously was played in 6Ch as Dolby Digital, DTS, Surround are now all in stereo.

I'm sure I'm doing something fundamentally wrong. Little bit of help is much appreciated.
As far as Plex the shield can act as a server so maybe it’s acting as such and not picking up the pc Plex server where you content is located. Go through shield Plex options

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Hi, real brief, because my wife is working late tonight and I've got the kids to myself (I'm actually about to show them Home Alone for the first time; naturally, using the Living Room Shield to stream via Plex).

Maybe just starting the obvious here, but *just in case* you didn't already know, Plex requires both a "server" (typically a PC in your home that you've installed the Plex Media Server software on) and then a "client" (in this case, your NVidia Shield). The Plex ("client") app on Shield won't work if there isn't a configured "server" for you to connect to.

Kodi (and SPMC, and Archos, MX Player, and several others) do have the option to just point towards your files and play, no server needed. So if you don't have (and don't want to configure) a machine to install Plex Media Server (PMS) on, those are going to be options (some, like Archos, I don't think support lossless audio, fyi, but as stated before Kodi and SPMC do).

For audio, you'll need to configure that within the settings of the individual apps. I don't have as much recent runtime on Kodi recently, but you have to make sure you're seeing more than just the "basic" settings, make sure you're working within something like "advanced" settings. And then tell Kodi/SPMC that your AVR supports lossless audio channels like TrueHD and HD-MA, and once you do that it should work...

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Hi, real brief, because my wife is working late tonight and I've got the kids to myself (I'm actually about to show them Home Alone for the first time; naturally, using the Living Room Shield to stream via Plex).

Maybe just starting the obvious here, but *just in case* you didn't already know, Plex requires both a "server" (typically a PC in your home that you've installed the Plex Media Server software on) and then a "client" (in this case, your NVidia Shield). The Plex ("client") app on Shield won't work if there isn't a configured "server" for you to connect to.

Kodi (and SPMC, and Archos, MX Player, and several others) do have the option to just point towards your files and play, no server needed. So if you don't have (and don't want to configure) a machine to install Plex Media Server (PMS) on, those are going to be options (some, like Archos, I don't think support lossless audio, fyi, but as stated before Kodi and SPMC do).

For audio, you'll need to configure that within the settings of the individual apps. I don't have as much recent runtime on Kodi recently, but you have to make sure you're seeing more than just the "basic" settings, make sure you're working within something like "advanced" settings. And then tell Kodi/SPMC that your AVR supports lossless audio channels like TrueHD and HD-MA, and once you do that it should work...
Shields come with both a Plex client and a Plex server already installed. That is one of the benefits of having a Shield. You don’t need a pc somewhere running the Plex server.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Shields come with both a Plex client and a Plex server already installed. That is one of the benefits of having a Shield. You don’t need a pc somewhere running the Plex server.
You do need to login to the Plex website and setup the server that runs on the Shield. It’s been awhile since I set mine up but their are probably instructions around somewhere...just Google it...

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
You do need to login to the Plex website and setup the server that runs on the Shield. It’s been awhile since I set mine up but their are probably instructions around somewhere...just Google it...
I have all my content on a Synology NAS attached to my network so the Plex server running on the Shield is pointed to the NAS for the content.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I (obviously) don't disagree with that, because it's accurate.

I prefer to use a desktop for PMS rather than one of my shields, for several reasons that I won't go into now.

My only point was and is that if he doesn't have a device (Shield or other) configured as a server, the Plex client app isn't gonna work...

·
Registered
58 Posts

We're on the same boat... Putting kids to bed... Will continue exploring an hour later :) ... Will keep you updated.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the response pointing me to the rightb direction. I appreciate it. Let me get back to it after an hour.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
@psuKinger Okay, I could set the Kodi up as you have suggested... And its working... And I'm really excited to see exactly what I wanted... Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, DTS:X, DTS DHMA etc etc all lighting up on the AVR and I have experienced the ideal sound bubble by playing a demo file from Dolby's official website. What an amazing feeling!!

Will try setting up the Plex on Shield as @mjwagner suggested... let's see if I can get it to work...

I thank both of you and appreciate your time and help generously offered to me.

ciao.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
@psuKinger Okay, I could set the Kodi up as you have suggested... And its working... And I'm really excited to see exactly what I wanted... Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, DTS:X, DTS DHMA etc etc all lighting up on the AVR and I have experienced the ideal sound bubble by playing a demo file from Dolby's official website. What an amazing feeling!!

Will try setting up the Plex on Shield as @mjwagner suggested... let's see if I can get it to work...

I thank both of you and appreciate your time and help generously offered to me.

ciao.
Very cool, glad you got everything working.

The customization capabilities of Kodi and SPMC are near-endless. It's a tinkerer's playground.

Plex is really cool too. It's what I prefer. I think the Plex app for Android could really benefit from a facelift (Plex News e-mail yesterday said Roku and Apple just got one... because of course they did.... classic Android, function over form), but Plex can "serve" videos up to all sorts of clients (including phones and tablets), both inside and outside your network.

I'm not sure which Shield you bought, but I did want to mention, just as an FYI, it is my understanding (based on reading others posts, NOT first hand experience) that if you have a pretty large library of music and movies, the Plex Media Server can take a *really* big bite out of the very limited on-board storage space of the "regular" Shield.

The "Pro" version comes with its own quirks, shortfalls, and drawbacks... but I believe others have indicated its a better option if you intend to use your Shield not just as an endpoint "client" but also as the server. FYI.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Very cool, glad you got everything working.

The customization capabilities of Kodi and SPMC are near-endless. It's a tinkerer's playground.

Plex is really cool too. It's what I prefer. I think the Plex app for Android could really benefit from a facelift (Plex News e-mail yesterday said Roku and Apple just got one... because of course they did.... classic Android, function over form), but Plex can "serve" videos up to all sorts of clients (including phones and tablets), both inside and outside your network.

I'm not sure which Shield you bought, but I did want to mention, just as an FYI, it is my understanding (based on reading others posts, NOT first hand experience) that if you have a pretty large library of music and movies, the Plex Media Server can take a *really* big bite out of the very limited on-board storage space of the "regular" Shield.

The "Pro" version comes with its own quirks, shortfalls, and drawbacks... but I believe others have indicated its a better option if you intend to use your Shield not just as an endpoint "client" but also as the server. FYI.
That issue was basically resolved with the most recent Shield update. You can now install a large USB memory stick, use it as the main storage for your Shield, and Plex will use it for all of its data requirements. In the past while you were able to increase the memory capacity of your Shield by installing a USB memory stick for some reason Plex could not use it for it's data requirements. The update fixed that problem. Full disclosure, I have no first hand knowledge of how well this actually works as my library is relatively small.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
That issue was basically resolved with the most recent Shield update. You can now install a large USB memory stick, use it as the main storage for your Shield, and Plex will use it for all of its data requirements.
Does it have to be a USB stick or can an external USB HDD be used for that?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Does it have to be a USB stick or can an external USB HDD be used for that?
It does not have to be a stick but I would not recommend using a HDD. You would really need to use an SSD for performance reasons. In order to get Plex to use it for it's metadata it needs to be configured to replace the internal storage of the Shield not just as an external data store.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
It does not have to be a stick but I would not recommend using a HDD. You would really need to use an SSD for performance reasons. In order to get Plex to use it for it's metadata it needs to be configured to replace the internal storage of the Shield not just as an external data store.
I'm not worried about performance. HDDs are fast enough for my current server so I don't see why it would be a problem on a Shield. I'm more worried about the constant transcoder read/writes killing the USB stick. I darn sure wouldn't want to abuse a SSD like that.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I'm not worried about performance. HDDs are fast enough for my current server so I don't see why it would be a problem on a Shield. I'm more worried about the constant transcoder read/writes killing the USB stick. I darn sure wouldn't want to abuse a SSD like that.
I have no first hand experience. I'm just repeating what others have reported. But like I said, using it as you need to replaces all the storage on the Shield. It is not analogous to what you experience using HDD to just store content. Your best place for relevant information is the Shield section over on the Nvidia forums. Nvidia itself does not recommend using an HDD in this way but recommends using a memory stick or an SSD. Users have even reported poor performance using low performance memory sticks or SSD's so it seems to be rather sensitive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That issue was basically resolved with the most recent Shield update. You can now install a large USB memory stick, use it as the main storage for your Shield, and Plex will use it for all of its data requirements. In the past while you were able to increase the memory capacity of your Shield by installing a USB memory stick for some reason Plex could not use it for it's data requirements. The update fixed that problem. Full disclosure, I have no first hand knowledge of how well this actually works as my library is relatively small.
If understood correctly, I need to plug a 32 GB or higher USB stick (based on how much data I have) in the shield and keep all my music/movie files there. After that, Plex will identify the server within the Shield and these files become part of the library. Then, I can play them from Plex. When I buy a NAS (eg Synology like yours), I do the same and expand the space to store more music/movies files. I apologize if I'm being too simplistic because I'm a novice here.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
OK then. Thanks.
Looks like Plex has made updates to this process. You can in fact move the Plex database to either external storage OR adopted storage. Nvidia only recommends memory sticks or SSD for adopted storage but you can use a HDD for external storage connected thru the USB port (they do recommend USB 3) and then move the Plex database to the external storage device. Here is the relevant procedure from Nvidia -

PLEX has released the ability to migrate SHIELD server data to external storage. This allows 16GB SHIELD owners the ability to serve large PLEX libraries without impacting local storage.

Make sure your PLEX app and PLEX Media Server app have been updated to the latest version available on the Google Play Store

Migrating your PLEX Server storage location
1. Connect your USB storage device to SHIELD (SHIELD 2015 owners may also use the SD Card)
a. (Optional) Adopt your storage to SHIELD
2. Open PLEX on your SHIELD and go to Settings -> PLEX Media Server -> Storage location
3. Select the storage location
a. Adopted storage: Select Internal (user accessible location)
b. Removable storage: Select the storage device
4. Wait until the migration process is complete

The key is to use the HDD as removable storage not as adopted storage. Hope that helps.

8721 - 8740 of 14550 Posts