AVS Forum banner

8741 - 8760 of 14523 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
If understood correctly, I need to plug a 32 GB or higher USB stick (based on how much data I have) in the shield and keep all my music/movie files there. After that, Plex will identify the server within the Shield and these files become part of the library. Then, I can play them from Plex. When I buy a NAS (eg Synology like yours), I do the same and expand the space to store more music/movies files. I apologize if I'm being too simplistic because I'm a novice here.

Thanks in advance.
You wouldn’t connect your NAS directly to the Shield. You would connect it to your network (plug it into one of the Ethernet ports on your router) and then just point your Plex server to your NAS as your content repository. At least that’s how I have mine configured.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Looks like Plex has made updates to this process. You can in fact move the Plex database to either external storage OR adopted storage. Nvidia only recommends memory sticks or SSD for adopted storage but you can use a HDD for external storage connected thru the USB port (they do recommend USB 3) and then move the Plex database to the external storage device. Here is the relevant procedure from Nvidia -

PLEX has released the ability to migrate SHIELD server data to external storage. This allows 16GB SHIELD owners the ability to serve large PLEX libraries without impacting local storage.

Make sure your PLEX app and PLEX Media Server app have been updated to the latest version available on the Google Play Store

Migrating your PLEX Server storage location
1. Connect your USB storage device to SHIELD (SHIELD 2015 owners may also use the SD Card)
a. (Optional) Adopt your storage to SHIELD
2. Open PLEX on your SHIELD and go to Settings -> PLEX Media Server -> Storage location
3. Select the storage location
a. Adopted storage: Select Internal (user accessible location)
b. Removable storage: Select the storage device
4. Wait until the migration process is complete

The key is to use the HDD as removable storage not as adopted storage. Hope that helps.
FWIW I am using a 1TB WD USB3 drive as adopted storage. Works fine. I often wonder if I should have set it up as external instead, but since it works without any issue, have not revisited it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
FWIW I am using a 1TB WD USB3 drive as adopted storage. Works fine. I often wonder if I should have set it up as external instead, but since it works without any issue, have not revisited it.
Exactly need to use usb3 flash drives I use a 300g one for emulators. An actual USB stick is inadequate

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Thanks for that data point. That is very helpful. Like I said this is not something I have any personal experience with as all my content is on a NAS drive. I was just going by the complaints I have read over on the Nvidia forum.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Is your WD a HDD or SSD?
Its HDD and several years old. It looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/Black-Passport-Ultra-Portable-External/dp/B00W8XXRPM. When I got the Shield I remembered I had it kicking around and figured might as well try it and see it it works. Plan was to get an SSD drive if it didn't work well. Was actually surprised how well it went. Sometimes you get lucky!

Maybe it would help if I also explain my use case. I am mainly using the Shield as a DVR. For me, I like to watch NFL games, but not the commercials. I will record a game and start watching an hr or so in so I can FF by the commercials and catch up by the end. My wife also has several network shows she likes. I record them and use the commercial removal option which mostly works pretty well. Plex is the SW I use for this. Hardware wise, the Shield as Plex server and client, the WD USB drive and a Hauppauge WinTV USB tuner. Shield is connected to main TV via HDMI. Playback in this case never touches the network even though it is wired 1GbE. There are a couple other TVs that we will use Plex sometimes to stream recordings. This would be over the network. I do also have have 1080P rips which I play now and then. I dont do any 4K streaming with Plex. I found that I really dont watch a movie more than once. Ripping 4K movies to sit on HDD storage to likely never be watched again didnt make sense for me.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Tried emby. Just kept crashing. Sigh.
I use Emby Server on my PC and just started using Emby Theater on the Shield. Works well. I can make it crash, but it's been stable under normal use.

If you're having ongoing problems with multiple applications on your Shield, it might be a problem with your Shield or with your Server system?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I use Emby Server on my PC and just started using Emby Theater on the Shield. Works well. I can make it crash, but it's been stable under normal use.

If you're having ongoing problems with multiple applications on your Shield, it might be a problem with your Shield or with your Server system?

Kinda don’t care. Mrmc works - just waiting for them to finish fixing the av sync bug and push out that build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
837 Posts
Does anyone experience problems with audio drop outs with the Amazon Prime app?

It seems to only have started over the last few months...I've tried all the usual fixes and still no dice.

I have Certified Premium HDMI cables going from the Shield to my SR6012 to my P65-F1 as well.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Does anyone experience problems with audio drop outs with the Amazon Prime app?

It seems to only have started over the last few months...I've tried all the usual fixes and still no dice.

I have Certified Premium HDMI cables going from the Shield to my SR6012 to my P65-F1 as well.
I've had audio *problems* with the Amazon app on Shield that don't happen on any other app on Shield.

My "problem" isn't drop-outs... but I do get a an occassional mid-low frequency that causes a buzzing sound while watching. Doesn't happen on ANY other app.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Amazon Lightning Deals has NVIDIA Shield TV 4K HDR Streaming Media Player on sale for $130.60 when you 'clip' 5% off coupon found on product page and checkout via lightning deal option. Shipping is free.
Damn! I just bought mine a week ago for $165!

I might buy another one just because its such a good price!

Is there a new Shield coming out soon? that would be worth waiting for??

·
Registered
331 Posts
A couple of Questions:

What LARGE HDD can be used via the USB3.0...? I want to put something like 6-12 TBs if possible. Nothing like being future proof.

More a PLEX Question by users here seem well informed. I already have Plex Server on my desktop using an HDHomerun Prime. I have also just begun playing with an HD Quattro and realize that a Single Plex Sever has no EPG which can combine both Cable and OTA channels at the same time. If I get a Nvidia Shield I guess I could pay for and run a separate Plex Server for the Quattro. So my question is: Is there any easy way for watching recorded shows sourced from both servers as both Plex Servers seem to have a wall between each other.
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone, i have a question: i wanna see HDR with a resolution of 1080p. I hate the eshift noise from my jvc Projector, but i love HDR. Is there a Option to set this?

On a fire tv stick 4k is that possible.

Thank you very much.
:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I could set up the Plex server on Shield with a 32GB USB stick adopted as a user selected internal drive. Now, is it necessary to have all my media in that drive? Can I plug my 2TB WD external drive (containing movie files) in another USB port and link these files when creating the library?
@psuKinger @mjwagner any comments?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Awesome. You've written an extraordinary summary that clarified more than what I asked for. Thank you veru much for sharing the knowledge base.

Could you please comment on two more things -
1. Is Shield modify the Color rendering during playing movie using its proprietary processor? Or, maintain the industry standards.
2. While playing audio files such as music, CD rips, .mp3, FLAC etc. Is Shield modifies the quality of sound using its own processor or just pass them thru to AVR.

I truly appreciate your time.

Regarding your requirement no 2 (CD rips, FLAC etc):

No Android-based set-up is good if you want to stream decent quality music files esp FLAC and/or esp 5.1 channel 96K/24 bit:

I was greatly disillusioned with Shield when I found this out.

See:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4410/~/how-do-i-play-high-resolution-audio-on-my-shield-tv?

(Notice hires 5.1 FLAC does not even get a look-in here).,

Even 44.1 khz cd rips to lossless flac get interfered with by being "up-sampled" to 48khz (really muddies up full orchestra stuff, although not so bad with less complex sound).

See also discussion here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/47295-shield-tv-2017-playing-hi-res-flac/page-2

I pinched this from a poster name wrxtasy from this site:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

"

"

He (WRXTASY) has posted in various forums re the limitations of the android OS and hi-res music files (as distinct from the ability to passthrough hires sound tracks from movie files)

I am happy to use shield for Netflix (1080p); youtube and and streaming of my local photographs and video files (mainly .ts format from recording nature docos off cable tv) and a little bit of gaming.

But for serious playback of my FLAC music files I fall back on my trusty Oppo 95 for quality sound playback

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Hi everyone, i have a question: i wanna see HDR with a resolution of 1080p. I hate the eshift noise from my jvc Projector, but i love HDR. Is there a Option to set this?

On a fire tv stick 4k is that possible.

Thank you very much.
:)
All HDR content is 4k, so no.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I could set up the Plex server on Shield with a 32GB USB stick adopted as a user selected internal drive. Now, is it necessary to have all my media in that drive? Can I plug my 2TB WD external drive (containing movie files) in another USB port and link these files when creating the library?
No you do not need to have all of your content on the 32GB usb stick. While I just use the 16GB native storage of the shield (so no USB stick connected) I have all of my content on a NAS drive connected to my network. You just point the Plex server to wherever your content resides when you set it up.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

I believe so. But I'll defer to others who run PMS off a Shield for confirmation. I run PMS on a separate Win10 desktop that also runs Steam, Gamestream, and HDHR DVR.

8741 - 8760 of 14523 Posts