AVS Forum banner

8841 - 8860 of 14550 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
It appears to be dependent upon your hardware I guess.

I set my Shield to rec2020 yuv 10-bit, and my Sony TV's Colorspace to auto, and RGB range to Limited. I can switch back and forth between HDR and SDR content without any manual adjustments.
My Xbox One X's RGB Range needs to be set to "Full", or else the colors for HDR content are washed out if set to limited.
True. It seems most people with Sony TVs do not see this issue. I have an LG OLED and colors are not displayed properly. The color red is especially noticeable and appears washed out, which makes makes skin tones appear a sickly gray.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I only use 4k sdr and that’s why I bought a shield last week. I can confirm on the Sony 930e rec709 displays correctly in all apps so far

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
If you turn the TV off does Shield turn off, or is it just the sleep timer that doesnt work?
On my Shield when TV shuts off, Shield shuts off as well. This has been the case even before Oreo. I dont use a sleep timer so never tested that.
For quite some time, when my TV turned off (either via a Sleep timer or just manually forced), my Shield went to sleep.

Then, one day, a couple months back, it stopped doing that. I wake up every morning and it's still on...

Typical of HDMI-CEC, in my experiences. When it works, it's *great*. When it doesn't? Good. luck.

I always turn it off on both of my "primary" rigs/setups... but for auxiliary/bedroom units, with no AVR involved and no sophisticated/expensive universal remote, that's where, if it's working, it really is quite nice...

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I only use 4k sdr and that’s why I bought a shield last week. I can confirm on the Sony 930e rec709 displays correctly in all apps so far
You should be able to set it to 4K HDR with that set, and the color space mapping of the HDR outputs for SDR content should look right... @groove93 has a 900e, and I have a 940e, and both of us can confirm it works for us...

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I'm with you on that. I'd rather see it passed through as bitstream too. That's always been one of my biggest complaints about the AppleTV and why I'm here now. It actually bugs me a little that on my receiver for Atmos and DTS:X titles it just say the name and doesn't show the array of little lights that show what channels are active like it does for 5.1 and 7.1 content. I want to see all 13 lit up for visual confirmation. I keep getting paranoid now when trying out media players about whether or not it's actually passing through a bitstream. ;)
I was a Shield early-adopter. I was more active over on the Home Theater Computers back then... but there was a time where bitstreaming was only working here for people who'd pushed their bit-for-bit MKV's through a program called MKVMerge and used the internal player (accessing files directly via something like ES File Browser). Back then bitstreaming wasn't supported via either Plex or Kodi. And in incremental steps, capabilities came to life. I remember a period of time where one of the two lossless codecs (I *think* Dolby TrueHD) was properly bitstreaming through Plex but not the other codec (DTS-HD-MA), and on the other side of the fence Kodi had found a way (via Beta releases) to properly decode DTS-HD-MA but not Dolby TrueHD (and couldn't bitstream either). I spent multiple hours going back and forth between Kodi and my Blu Ray player, A-B comparing Kodi's decoding to my disc player's bitstreaming, convincing myself that the decoding was being handled properly via Shield... and even after convincing myself that it was working ~properly and there was ~no perceivable difference, it *still* bothered me that my AVR said "MultiCh" and not "HD-MA"... couldn't shake it. Never got comfortable/happy with it. Then SPMC/Kodi/Plex all, one after the other, *figured it out* for Shield, and this has been a real winning box for me ever since...

I didn't upgrade to a 4K UHD tv until only a couple months before the color mapping issue got resolved, at least for the Sony TV that I ultimately bought... for the most part Shield ownership has been pretty seamless/enjoyable ever since mid-ish (3rd quarter) 2016? Great little box. I hope Nvidia keeps supporting, and I *really* hope they ultimately come out with a Shield 2.0 that builds upon this with a better upscaler, Dolby Vision support, and even more growth/capabilities for their Grid Gaming service/capabilities... really great, capable little swiss-army-knife, IMO.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I was a Shield early-adopter. I was more active over on the Home Theater Computers back then... but there was a time where bitstreaming was only working here for people who'd pushed their bit-for-bit MKV's through a program called MKVMerge and used the internal player (accessing files directly via something like ES File Browser). Back then bitstreaming wasn't supported via either Plex or Kodi. And in incremental steps, capabilities came to life. I remember a period of time where one of the two lossless codecs (I *think* Dolby TrueHD) was properly bitstreaming through Plex but not the other codec (DTS-HD-MA), and on the other side of the fence Kodi had found a way (via Beta releases) to properly decode DTS-HD-MA but not Dolby TrueHD (and couldn't bitstream either). I spent multiple hours going back and forth between Kodi and my Blu Ray player, A-B comparing Kodi's decoding to my disc player's bitstreaming, convincing myself that the decoding was being handled properly via Shield... and even after convincing myself that it was working ~properly and there was ~no perceivable difference, it *still* bothered me that my AVR said "MultiCh" and not "HD-MA"... couldn't shake it. Never got comfortable/happy with it. Then SPMC/Kodi/Plex all, one after the other, *figured it out* for Shield, and this has been a real winning box for me ever since...

I didn't upgrade to a 4K UHD tv until only a couple months before the color mapping issue got resolved, at least for the Sony TV that I ultimately bought... for the most part Shield ownership has been pretty seamless/enjoyable ever since mid-ish (3rd quarter) 2016? Great little box. I hope Nvidia keeps supporting, and I *really* hope they ultimately come out with a Shield 2.0 that builds upon this with a better upscaler, Dolby Vision support, and even more growth/capabilities for their Grid Gaming service/capabilities... really great, capable little swiss-army-knife, IMO.

Yea it was the other way around. DTS-MA was available through KODI, and then through Plex, and it took a good while longer to get Dolby TrueHD to work for both Platforms.

From a Cord Cutters POV the Shield was and still is my goto device, but the Live Channels app was really bad for a time. It got to the point where I purchased a Tivo Bolt for OTA Reception, and it was a night and day difference regarding changing channels and recovering from interference or lower signal strength. Then when one of the Big Shield updates rolled out around the beginning of 2017, which included HDR, Plex Media Server, Live Channels DVR Beta, Amazon Prime, and a few other features, the Live Channels app was very stable and rendored my Tivo useless.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hey guys so had the Shield over a week now and i have everything where I want it and am loving it. I can keep everything in rec709 for all my apps and that’s was my goal, as my 930e tv will force hdr in some like google movies.

All I need to know if I’m handling the resolution correctly to get the superior upscaling on my sony tv to do the work not the shield

So set it to 1080p @59 rec709 for all 1080 content

And [email protected] rec709 for anything I watch in 4k on shield?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Yea it was the other way around. DTS-MA was available through KODI, and then through Plex, and it took a good while longer to get Dolby TrueHD to work for both Platforms.

From a Cord Cutters POV the Shield was and still is my goto device, but the Live Channels app was really bad for a time. It got to the point where I purchased a Tivo Bolt for OTA Reception, and it was a night and day difference regarding changing channels and recovering from interference or lower signal strength. Then when one of the Big Shield updates rolled out around the beginning of 2017, which included HDR, Plex Media Server, Live Channels DVR Beta, Amazon Prime, and a few other features, the Live Channels app was very stable and rendored my Tivo useless.
Since I now have a nice Sony TV with Android Oreo, there isnt a lot that I use my Shield for other than OTA DVR and Plex server. The TV has all the same streaming apps that I use. The major feature still missing from Live Channels for me is the ability to play a recording before it is complete. "Channel Chase" I want to record an NFL game, start watching ~ 1r in, skip the commercials and catch up at the end of the game. Im using Plex which has that and a several other nice features that live channels is missing. Commercial removal, and I can watch on basically any device, not just the TV connected to the Shield, I can watch TV and also setup recordings on a web browser. That being said, if Live Channels adds Channel Chase I may forgo those extra features of Plex and use it. Rumor has it that it will be added at some point.

·
UHD Addict
37,088 Posts
It appears to be dependent upon your hardware I guess.

I set my Shield to rec2020 yuv 10-bit, and my Sony TV's Colorspace to auto, and RGB range to Limited. I can switch back and forth between HDR and SDR content without any manual adjustments.
Yes. It's fine on my 2015 Sony as well as my 2018 TCL TV.

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Since I now have a nice Sony TV with Android Oreo, there isnt a lot that I use my Shield for other than OTA DVR and Plex server. The TV has all the same streaming apps that I use. The major feature still missing from Live Channels for me is the ability to play a recording before it is complete. "Channel Chase" I want to record an NFL game, start watching ~ 1r in, skip the commercials and catch up at the end of the game. Im using Plex which has that and a several other nice features that live channels is missing. Commercial removal, and I can watch on basically any device, not just the TV connected to the Shield, I can watch TV and also setup recordings on a web browser. That being said, if Live Channels adds Channel Chase I may forgo those extra features of Plex and use it. Rumor has it that it will be added at some point.
I use hdhomrun tuners and app and can record and do early what you're saying with my OTA. I also speed using my Shield since it does everything for me.
Can't you use Plex on the TV?
Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I use hdhomrun tuners and app and can record and do early what you're saying with my OTA. I also speed using my Shield since it does everything for me.
Can't you use Plex on the TV?
Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
I think you missed what the post was about. Comparing the free Android Live Channels TV/DVR software with the TV/DVR features of Plex, not HDHR software. Yes you can Channel Chase with HDHR, Plex and a few other TV/DVR SW packages but not Live Channels.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I wouldn't dare rely on my Sony TV for anything but to look at it. I also have the Oreo update and the Shield still runs laps around it.

Plus if you're into viewing your own personal library such as Blu Ray and UHD Rips, you cannot get Lossless Audio via ARC such as Dolby TruehD/Atmos, or DTSMA/DTS-X. Right now the only positive about the TV (900e) is the fact that it now does HDR for Youtube and Google Play Movies. Other than that, the Shield is top priority for me.

Reactions: Gary J

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I wouldn't dare rely on my Sony TV for anything but to look at it. I also have the Oreo update and the Shield still runs laps around it.

Plus if you're into viewing your own personal library such as Blu Ray and UHD Rips, you cannot get Lossless Audio via ARC such as Dolby TruehD/Atmos, or DTSMA/DTS-X. Right now the only positive about the TV (900e) is the fact that it now does HDR for Youtube and Google Play Movies. Other than that, the Shield is top priority for me.
My post was about apps. Sony TV has exact same apps as the Shield. Same app same version same functionality from the same Google Play store. Sony TV also supports DV and the Shield does not. My Shield might be a tiny but snappier. If Im watching non 4K content I dont want the sub par upscaling of the Shield compared to the superior upscaling of the Sony Z9D. I dont want to have to manually switch Shield resolution every time I switch between 2K and 4K content. I dont do any ripping. Im not one that sees a value in it. I dont watch a movie "many" times. Just once typically. Id have a bunch of movies on disk that would never be watched. Again. just my preference. If I did, yes playback from that would be via the Shield. Shield for recorded/downloaded/ripped on disk content. TV apps for streaming Netflix, Vudu, Prime etc with DV and best in class upscale for 2K content.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
My post was about apps. Sony TV has exact same apps as the Shield. Same app same version same functionality from the same Google Play store. Sony TV also supports DV and te Shield does not. My Shield might be a tiny but snappier. If Im watching non 4K content I dont want the sub par upscaling of the Shield compared to the superior upscaling of the Sony Z9D. I dont want to have to manually switch Shield resolution every time I witch between 2K and 4K content. I dont do any ripping. If I did, yes playback from that would be via the Shield. Shield for recorded or downloaded content. TV apps for Netflix, Vudu, Prime etc.
The Subpar upscaling has more to do with content lower than 4K on the Shield and is one of the reasons why many set the Shield's resolution to 1080p while allowing their displays to upscale the image for them. I keep mine at 4k rec2020 yuv 10-bit.

You have a different Sony Display, as mine does not support DV. As I said before, the Shield still runs laps around Android TV for the Sony TV. Apps load faster and smoother. 21 Updates later, the Shield is still getting supported (2015 the Shield was released) and it appears that it will continue to be updated in the coming months. The likelihood of replacing my Display before the Shield continues to increase with time.

The higher-end Z9D displays have different Processors than the 900e as well. The 900e has the X1 Processor while the Z9D has the X1 Extreme Processor, thus the ability to access Dolby Vision.

I don't have subpar upscaling from the Shield, and that's due to my TV doing the work. Plus, using my Oppo 203 as a reference for how videos should behave, my Shield acts accordingly. And that's where Kodi/MrMC come into play with regards to playing back local content.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The Subpar upscaling has more to do with content lower than 4K on the Shield and is one of the reasons why many set the Shield's resolution to 1080p while allowing their displays to upscale the image for them. I keep mine at 4k rec2020 yuv 10-bit.

You have a different Sony Display, as mine does not support DV. As I said before, the Shield still runs laps around Android TV for the Sony TV. Apps load faster and smoother. 21 Updates later, the Shield is still getting supported (2015 the Shield was released) and it appears that it will continue to be updated in the coming months. The likelihood of replacing my Display before the Shield continues to increase with time.

The higher-end Z9D displays have different Processors than the 900e as well. The 900e has the X1 Processor while the Z9D has the X1 Extreme Processor, thus the ability to access Dolby Vision.

I don't have subpar upscaling from the Shield, and that's due to my TV doing the work. Plus, using my Oppo 203 as a reference for how videos should behave, my Shield acts accordingly. And that's where Kodi/MrMC come into play with regards to playing back local content.
Gottcha. Odd that the Z9"D" has better features and processor than 900"E", but the Z9D is kind of a unique beast in the lineup. When you posted "mine at 4k rec2020", not sure if mine meant the TV or the Shield. If you watch and 2k content on the Shield, and have it set to 4K, it is doing the upscale. I have the Shield set to 1080P. As far as apps go, when an update comes through I get it the same time on both the TV and the Shield. Performance wise, I really have to try and see a difference. With Oreo, its basically the same UI and speed. There really is no discernible difference. Since the TV has better upscale for 2K content and DV it gets the nod for streaming apps. You have a bit of a different setup and needs.

In the end, Im a big fan of Android TV in general and really like both the Shield and Z9D for different reasons and use cases. Having both gives me lots of options to use the best features/use of both of tem.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Gottcha. Odd that the Z9"D" has better features and processor than 900"E", but the Z9D is kind of a unique beast in the lineup. If you watch and 2k content on the Shield, and have it set to 4K, it is doing the upscale. As far as apps go, when an update comes through I get it the same time on both the TV and the Shield. Performance wise, I really have to try and see a difference. With Oreo, its basically the same UI and speed. There really is no discernible difference. Since the TV has better upscale for 2K content and DV it gets the nod for streaming apps. You have a bit of a different setup and needs.

In the end, Im a big fan of Android TV in general and really like both the Shield and Z9D for different reasons and use cases.
I've read somewhere regarding the higher-end Sonys performing on par with the Shield. As far as performance for Android TV, for a good while the Shield was the reference, and now it appears that some TVs using Android TV OS are finally catching up.

I don't know about the 930s, 940s, and 900F lines of Sony Displays, but I can tell you that the 900e, while producing an excellent image, has a very slow response and performance with Android TV. Although there were some improvements since its release, including the new Oreo update, it still can't hold a match to the Shield.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I've read somewhere regarding the higher-end Sonys performing on par with the Shield. As far as performance for Android TV, for a good while the Shield was the reference, and now it appears that some TVs using Android TV OS are finally catching up.

I don't know about the 930s, 940s, and 900F lines of Sony Displays, but I can tell you that the 900e, while producing an excellent image, has a very slow response and performance with Android TV. Although there were some improvements since its release, including the new Oreo update, it still can't hold a match to the Shield.
FYI, you may know this already but in case it helps....
When I first got the TV a forum member here advised me that when you first setup the TV, it will ask (twice) about enabling Samba TV. This is a known performance destroyer. You have to say "NO". From what I understand, you cant really kill it after that if you enable it. Only way is to do a factory reset and start over. Again, just in case that is enabled on your TV, could be useful info for you.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
FYI, you may know this already but in case it helps....
When I first got the TV a forum member here advised me that when you first setup the TV, it will ask (twice) about enabling Samba TV. This is a known performance destroyer. You have to say "NO". From what I understand, you cant really kill it after that if you enable it. Only way is to do a factory reset and start over. Again, just in case that is enabled on your TV, could be useful info for you.
Yep, in the 900e forum, there are a few threads on improving the performance of the display, and Samba was one of the big issues.

Being a fan of the Shield, I purchased this TV due to it having Android TV, but I kept reading negative comments regarding its sluggish performance. I figured it couldn't be that bad, as I heard the same about the Shield. At the time the only "sluggish" performance I witnessed on Android TV was through my Nexus Player.

When I got the TV, it was an eye-opener to how bad the performance really was. I was completely spoiled by the Shield, and the Nexus Player was much quicker than the interface on the TV. That's saying alot. I wasn't going to send it back, for connecting the Shield to it and viewing content from this device was the way to go. A great Picture from 900e, and great performance from the Shield.

The unfortunate part is the fact that some 900e owners were left with a bad taste in their mouths regarding the performance of Android TV, and therefore purchased Rokus and Apple TVs in its place. Again, great looking picture, coupled with a better performing streaming device. But, without knowing how well the Shield performs, some people tend to bash the OS as a whole.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Yep, in the 900e forum, there are a few threads on improving the performance of the display, and Samba was one of the big issues.

Being a fan of the Shield, I purchased this TV due to it having Android TV, but I kept reading negative comments regarding its sluggish performance. I figured it couldn't be that bad, as I heard the same about the Shield. At the time the only "sluggish" performance I witnessed on Android TV was through my Nexus Player.

When I got the TV, it was an eye-opener to how bad the performance really was. I was completely spoiled by the Shield, and the Nexus Player was much quicker than the interface on the TV. That's saying alot. I wasn't going to send it back, for connecting the Shield to it and viewing content from this device was the way to go. A great Picture from 900e, and great performance from the Shield.

The unfortunate part is the fact that some 900e owners were left with a bad taste in their mouths regarding the performance of Android TV, and therefore purchased Rokus and Apple TVs in its place. Again, great looking picture, coupled with a better performing streaming device. But, without knowing how well the Shield performs, some people tend to bash the OS as a whole.
Thats a shame. I never used a 900e, but sounds like it is a slug. Good news is like what you are doing, its not a show stopper. You have a great display and the Shield to get around the issues. I had an ATV4K for 1 day. At that time, the Plex client for TV/DVR use was absolutely unusable. Just horrible. I dont blame Apple. Plex issue there. Made it a no go for me. Other than that, I was not wild about the UI and remote but might have got used to it. I also wasnt crazy how it decoded the audio stream instead of just passing it through like the Shield. Same with DV where it would insert the flag. Just seemed odd way of doing things.

8841 - 8860 of 14550 Posts