AVS Forum banner

9321 - 9340 of 14550 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
So I guess there is no real way of knowing if it's switching over correctly on my setup. The picture looks good, but then I've never really had any complaints about that. The only thing I don't like is the Shield's upscaler, so I just have Kodi output all 1080p content at it's native resolution.

Do you have a colorspace setting on your tv? See my above post.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
So I guess there is no real way of knowing if it's switching over correctly on my setup. The picture looks good, but then I've never really had any complaints about that. The only thing I don't like is the Shield's upscaler, so I just have Kodi output all 1080p content at it's native resolution.
Honestly, if the colors look correct, then it's working fine. You can definitely tell when it's not correct, either being really over-saturated in the red/green/blues, or being really flat and dull.

For instance, if you turn Colorimetry off, reboot the Shield, pay attention to the home screen colors. Then turn Colorimetry on in developer mode, and go back to the home screen before rebooting. The colors will be extremely saturated until you reboot it.

So basically, if you're not seeing that normally, it's working properly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can confirm the Colorimetry setting is working for me. I have an LG OLED E6 and the sheild is connected to an onkyo receiver. Reading the TV info, it only shows bt.2020 colorspace when playing hdr content. Glad nvidia finally fixed this!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
What are your other options? That’s how I can tell what’s being sent, my Xfinity X1 sends 2020 as well which over saturates red.
He has a Vizio like I do, the only options under colorspace is Auto, RGB, YCbCr.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Look 3 posts up- hit "build" seven times and developer mode is unlocked, which gives access to the color auto switching option
Enable Developers options: Go to Settings > About > Build > Click 7 times on build to become a developer (you will see a message which will say you are now a developer)
Then, go to Settings > Developer Options > Colorimetry (set toggle to ON) > restart device for changes to take effect
Look at my post #9307 for the steps to enable Developer options.
Thanks for actually lending a hand guys! I can't believe I've never known this info.:eek:

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Thanks for actually lending a hand guys! I can't believe I've never known this info.:eek:
It's the same thing you do to enable it on an Android phone. Also, if you quickly keep tapping the Android Version it'll open an Easter egg screen or flappy bird type game depending on the version. Never tried that on the Shield...

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't know how you guys make the colorspace works. I installed 7.2.2 and enabled developer mode. Enable the colorimetry option. Set my shield to output 1080p, rgb 709 option. Rebooted twice since the 1st reboot didn't work.

I have Yamaha 1070 receiver and set it to passthrough. I use Plex to play mkv files from the attached usb drive. Played 1080p movie is fine and the Sony 940E displays 1080p input. However, when I played 4k mkv movie file, the TV also displays 1080p input.

What did I do wrong?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Mine is working flawlessly. Oppo UDP-203 Reports SDR and BT.709 colorspace for the kids "HD" Netflix stream and the cable TV (HDHomeRun View app).

I flipped over to Plex and started up a 4k uhd rip and the TV recognized"HDR10" and the oppo reports HDR report and BT.2020 color space.

Very cool.

Reactions: groove93

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't know how you guys make the colorspace works. I installed 7.2.2 and enabled developer mode. Enable the colorimetry option. Set my shield to output 1080p, rgb 709 option. Rebooted twice since the 1st reboot didn't work.

I have Yamaha 1070 receiver and set it to passthrough. I use Plex to play mkv files from the attached usb drive. Played 1080p movie is fine and the Sony 940E displays 1080p input. However, when I played 4k mkv movie file, the TV also displays 1080p input.

What did I do wrong?

Perhaps because you told the Shield to output 1080p rec.709??

·
Registered
297 Posts
Perhaps because you told the Shield to output 1080p rec.709??
So what do I need to do to have the shield output either 1080p or 4k based on the mkv files resolution AUTOMATICALLY?

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
So what do I need to do to have the shield output either 1080p or 4k based on the mkv files resolution AUTOMATICALLY?

In Emby I have refresh rate/resolution switching on. The Shield can't do this globally, it is per app.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The auto color space switching seems to be working much better with my JVC projector!! Previously, colors on the home screen and some other sources would be washed out unless I manually selected HDR gamma. Now everything looks better and the projector automatically kicks into HDR mode when appropriate for the content.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Mine is working flawlessly. Oppo UDP-203 Reports SDR and BT.709 colorspace for the kids "HD" Netflix stream and the cable TV (HDHomeRun View app).

I flipped over to Plex and started up a 4k uhd rip and the TV recognized"HDR10" and the oppo reports HDR report and BT.2020 color space.

Very cool.
Yep, performed the same test with the same equipment. I was very happy to see this as well.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts

What did I do wrong?

You have a 4K display. Set the Shield to [email protected] 420--bt2020 (usually the recommended setting)

On your display:

HDR - auto
RGB - auto
Colorspace - auto

Try out these settings.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You have a 4K display. Set the Shield to [email protected] 420--bt2020 (usually the recommended setting)

On your display:

HDR - auto

RGB - auto

Colorspace - auto

Try out these settings.
Thanks. I guess I was confused the resolution with colorspace. Was hoping to get the output raw resolution from Shield so my TV can do the upscaling. I don't think I can display what colorspace I'm getting on my TV. Thank you all.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Thanks. I guess I was confused the resolution with colorspace. Was hoping to get the output raw resolution from Shield so my TV can do the upscaling. I don't think I can display what colorspace I'm getting on my TV. Thank you all.

You can do that with certain apps, like Emby or Kodi by setting the Shield to 1080p and then setting the app to auto switch. But I noticed that it messes up other apps, for instance Prime Video now only plays 1080p now even when I select a UHD video.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts

QUOTE=cuibap;57419234]Thanks. I guess I was confused the resolution with colorspace. Was hoping to get the output raw resolution from Shield so my TV can do the upscaling. I don't think I can display what colorspace I'm getting on my TV. Thank you all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

That is one drawback to these Sony Displays. They are excellent when it comes to image quality, but not knowing what is actually running regarding image info and video details, minus display resolution and refresh rate, there's no other way other than to connect a device that will display this information. Luckily I and @psuKinger have Oppo 203 UHD Players which will display the information needed. As tested, colorspace is changing on the Shield between rec709 and bt2020. This was not the case before this update.

The 203 would display the changes if files were played directly on this device, but when the Shield was connected to the 203's HDMI Input, the Colorspace would not change no matter the content. Screen resolution and refresh rate would change however.

Reactions: psuKinger
9321 - 9340 of 14550 Posts