AVS Forum banner

10101 - 10120 of 14525 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Since the last Shield update MrMc became rather unstable for me, mostly dropping frames especially if I resume playback, and after uninstall reinstall it won't update the the Plex add on library like it did before. I would still find the files, but won't show under "most recent". Tried different skins as that makes a difference as how content is displayed, but no luck there. Never had issues before the last Shield update. Went to the MrMc forum but I haven't seen the same exact issue mentioned, though there were several similar ones.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Since the last Shield update MrMc became rather unstable for me, mostly dropping frames especially if I resume playback, and after uninstall reinstall it won't update the the Plex add on library like it did before. I would still find the files, but won't show under "most recent". Tried different skins as that makes a difference as how content is displayed, but no luck there. Never had issues before the last Shield update. Went to the MrMc forum but I haven't seen the same exact issue mentioned, though there were several similar ones.
I'll put the blame on the Shield.
Since their last update 7.2.3(?), it drives me nut.
Both Kodi and VLC are acting up, I have to uninstall and reinstall.
The Shield remote is unresponsive and very slow.
The Shield keeps turning on my Samsung TV by itself.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The remote has been driving me nuts, especially the volume control and double tap pausing. It feels a bit like the They're putting it to sleep to save battery and then it takes multiple interactions to wake it back up. Really annoying.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Why not turn off auto updates so you never have to worry about this? I am of the mindset that if it is working fine right now then there is absolutely no need to update unless that update has a fix for an issue I am currently having.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Why not turn off auto updates so you never have to worry about this? I am of the mindset that if it is working fine right now then there is absolutely no need to update unless that update has a fix for an issue I am currently having.
First, I believe I had it disabled. It still did.
However, I might put that blame on me though. Maybe I left it on by default in 7.2.2 and just disabled it AFTER 7.2.3. I don't remember.
Second, even with auto-update OFF, I'm sure you are aware of the Colormetry feature right? So, got it updated to take advantage of new feature.
As a nature of software/firmware update, introduces something new, breaks something else.

·
Premium Member
10,640 Posts
I could not agree more: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I do allow auto updates for some product (e.g.Oppo) but they have been a trustworthy company since the get go.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
It can either connect to a DLNA server (Plex offers that option, as well as others. I use Serviio), or it can connect directly to your media storage location. The 2nd option provides more metadata information. Even though Serviio provides full metadata, the only thing that appears in Kodi, MrMC, or the others I've tested is the DVD art. Once I've played the video, it shows the resolution, audio and video codecs used, but that is all lost once you've exited the player. I don't know why it doesn't provide the metadata. Perhaps it will show the metadata when Plex is the DLNA server, but I haven't tried it.

I believe Kodi has a Plex plugin, and perhaps MrMC does as well. But I haven't tried it to see what it might offer over what I get from Serviio. But MrMC absolutely sends 1080 as 1080 and 2160 as 2160 to my display. However, it still up-converts any lower resolution to 1080. Unless there's something I've missed.

KODI and MrMC scrape lots of metadata from movie and music databases, including cover art and fan art.

·
Premium Member
10,640 Posts
Given the sluggishness, and off screen pause functions of MrMC, I would like to try Kodi. Does it replace Plex or run underneath it like MrMC does? The ONLY thing I am not happy about with Plex is its inability to not up convert 1080P. The rest more than meets my needs.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Given the sluggishness, and off screen pause functions of MrMC, I would like to try Kodi. Does it replace Plex or run underneath it like MrMC does?

Locally, on one specific Shield? I'd say it acts as a replacement. It'll play all the same media, just with a different GUI/Control settings by way of the different app... Biggest difference between Kodi and Plex is that Plex requires one "master device" to act as the "server" and handle all the scraping/organizing/serving to all the clients you choose to run Plex on. You'll configure Kodi individually on each and every "Kodi client device" you own; you can do them all completely independently (AMBER skin on one, TITAN skin on another, etc), you can choose to only search and scrape TV series on one, Music on another, then *everything* on a third, etc.... but without some outside "heavier lifting" like MySQL, they won't talk to each other at all and keep track of your Watched States and progress from device to device.

The ONLY thing I am not happy about with Plex is its inability to not up convert 1080P. The rest more than meets my needs.

+1, put me down for this too.

·
Premium Member
10,640 Posts
Locally, on one specific Shield? I'd say it acts as a replacement. It'll play all the same media, just with a different GUI/Control settings by way of the different app... Biggest difference between Kodi and Plex is that Plex requires one "master device" to act as the "server" and handle all the scraping/organizing/serving to all the clients you choose to run Plex on. You'll configure Kodi individually on each and every "Kodi client device" you own; you can do them all completely independently (AMBER skin on one, TITAN skin on another, etc), you can choose to only search and scrape TV series on one, Music on another, then *everything* on a third, etc.... but without some outside "heavier lifting" like MySQL, they won't talk to each other at all and keep track of your Watched States and progress from device to device.
So while I have a Plex server located on my Synology NAS, there is no such animal for Kodi?

I don't care if I have client intercommunication. My only need is watching my ripped files from our theater.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
So while I have a Plex server located on my Synology NAS, there is no such animal for Kodi?

No Kodi will run locally on your Shield. You'll tell Kodi (on your Shield) where to look to find your media (point it to your Synology). It'll scrape for metadata, apply coverart, and keep track of your watched state/progress locally.

Have two shields? You can install Kodi on both. You can configure them 100% identically or completely seperately. But without something my MySQL, neither install will "talk" to the other, and will have no idea of what you've been watching/doing/configuring in settings on the other... they'll be completely independent.

There's no "server" program needed/running on your synology. Your synology is just storing the media and making them readily available to be found/scraped/streamed by a Kodi client.

Reactions: christoofar

·
Premium Member
10,640 Posts
No Kodi will run locally on your Shield. You'll tell Kodi (on your Shield) where to look to find your media (point it to your Synology). It'll scrape for metadata, apply coverart, and keep track of your watched state/progress locally.

Have two shields? You can install Kodi on both. You can configure them 100% identically or completely seperately. But without something my MySQL, neither install will "talk" to the other, and will have no idea of what you've been watching/doing/configuring in settings on the other... they'll be completely independent.

There's no "server" program needed/running on your synology. Your synology is just storing the media and making them readily available to be found/scraped/streamed by a Kodi client.
Thank you.

So unlike Plex, Kodi will not up convert my 1080P movies if I don't want it to?

I can't imagine we are the only two who want the option to not up convert our 1080P video. How do we get Plex to implement that feature?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
So unlike Plex, Kodi will not up convert my 1080P movies if I don't want it to?

According to others it does... I believe so. I still have it installed on at least 2-3 of my Shields, but I don't use it anymore. I've only got one 4K HDR (main) TV, and I have pretty close to zero complaints/problems with any of my Shields for 1080p usage. When it comes to upscaling content to 4K on my main set:

- For true 1080p (uncompressed 1:1 Blu Ray) content, I can see the upscaling problems when I pull up a dining room table to within 2 feet. But with my couch a good 12.5'-13' from my 75" screen, I really can't see much/any difference between upscaling a 1080p blu ray to 4k or setting my Shield to 1080p manually... so I just watch it on Shield, using Plex, with the Lossless audio and call it a day.

- For below 1080p viewing (without lossless audio), I (sometimes) switch over to the AppleTV to use the Plex client on it instead. I'm definitely more of an Android guy than an iOS guy, and I like/prefer to bitstream my lossless audio, but the ATV's upscaling is *definitively* better for upscaling 480p DVDs, which don't contain any lossless audio anyway so....

How do we get Plex to implement that feature?

Dunno. I've been a Plex user for probably 6-7 years now, and a lifetime PlexPass subscriber for at least 3, maybe 4... I'm a big fan, we use it almost-daily in my house. BUT, that said, I have never found them to be particularly quick/speedy when it comes to implementing additional features like this. Particularly a feature like this that is pretty *nichey* and AVSForums-y. I think Plex has "bigger fish to fry" in terms of trying to have wider/broader "mass-appeal." I finally gave up on them doing anything to improve their audio/music software earlier this year and bought Roon.... Plex is great at what it's great at. I don't hold my breath for them to get good at anything they aren't already good at...

·
Premium Member
10,640 Posts
@psuKinger

Thanks for all of your very helpful responses. I might not feel so strongly about this if I were not considering getting an external video processor.

I will give Kodi a shot and check out its interface and features and decide from there.

Unlike you, I would be ecstatic if Apple were to allow full bitstream audio from my ripped 3D movie files. It's fast, has an acceptable interface, and the video processing looks great. That said, there is probably less of a chance of Apple giving me that than Nvidia providing no up scaling.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
KODI and MrMC scrape lots of metadata from movie and music databases, including cover art and fan art.
Yes, if it's connected directly to the media sources. But when simply playing from my DLNA server, MrMC ignores all of the metadata that the DLNA server provides. Kodi however does display it. I just compared the two last night to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. But I still prefer MrMC for the player, mostly due to it's playback controls. Perhaps there's a Kodi skin that would improve that aspect, but I haven't ever found a way to determine what a skin has other than installing it and looking it over.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Huh, I guess I am lucky, I have been having less issues with my remote and my shield since the update.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Yes, if it's connected directly to the media sources. But when simply playing from my DLNA server, MrMC ignores all of the metadata that the DLNA server provides. Kodi however does display it. I just compared the two last night to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. But I still prefer MrMC for the player, mostly due to it's playback controls. Perhaps there's a Kodi skin that would improve that aspect, but I haven't ever found a way to determine what a skin has other than installing it and looking it over.

That is not my experience at all. I have all of my files on a NAS. When I connected KODI to my movies, it asked what database to query for information about the movies, and then downloaded everything about them, including everything about the media type, everything about the cast, a synopsis, cover art, and fan art. It remembers all of it. And it checks for new movies when it starts up. It’s automatic. It is true that it’s default is to ignore your metadata, but you can have it use it if you want.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
That is not my experience at all. I have all of my files on a NAS. When I connected KODI to my movies, it asked what database to query for information about the movies, and then downloaded everything about them, including everything about the media type, everything about the cast, a synopsis, cover art, and fan art. It remembers all of it. And it checks for new movies when it starts up. It’s automatic. It is true that it’s default is to ignore your metadata, but you can have it use it if you want.
I like that Kodi will use embedded tags now, but somehow can’t figure why it is not using my tags that I added with MetaX. I follow the naming standards but there are always scattered files it pulls wrong data for. Alien 3 is annoying as it always says it is Alien 3000. Same issue with 2001, and a few others. If use on Apple allows you to truly use embedded tags which is great. I have been a big MrMC fan pointed to my NAS as well with no issues, but I think Kodi is pulling ahead.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I like that Kodi will use embedded tags now, but somehow can’t figure why it is not using my tags that I added with MetaX. I follow the naming standards but there are always scattered files it pulls wrong data for. Alien 3 is annoying as it always says it is Alien 3000. Same issue with 2001, and a few others. If use on Apple allows you to truly use embedded tags which is great. I have been a big MrMC fan pointed to my NAS as well with no issues, but I think Kodi is pulling ahead.
For the movies Kodi has trouble correctly identifying I create a .nfo file and put it in the same directory as the movie file. It's just a plain text file named exactly the same as the movie file but with a .nfo extension. The only thing you need in the .nfo file is the URL of the IMDB page for that movie. The .nfo file is only used to identify the movie and will not change the source the artwork and info gets downloaded from.

If your movie is named "Alien 3 (1992).m4v" you would make a text file named "Alien 3 (1992).txt". Put https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103644/ in the text file, save it, then rename it "Alien 3 (1992).nfo".

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
For the movies Kodi has trouble correctly identifying I create a .nfo file and put it in the same directory as the movie file. It's just a plain text file named exactly the same as the movie file but with a .nfo extension. The only thing you need in the .nfo file is the URL of the IMDB page for that movie. The .nfo file is only used to identify the movie and will not change the source the artwork and info gets downloaded from.

If your movie is named "Alien 3 (1992).m4v" you would make a text file named "Alien 3 (1992).txt". Put https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103644/ in the text file, save it, then rename it "Alien 3 (1992).nfo".
I will have to give it a try, but I spent a lot of time updating hundreds of m4v and mkv files with tags to avoid this BS, which on Infuse works great. If Infuse would just have an Android app they would hit such a broad market due to all the Smart TVs running Android.

10101 - 10120 of 14525 Posts