AVS Forum banner

10521 - 10540 of 14553 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I've always had the Shield set to 420/10-bit/rec2020, but setting it to 422/12-bit-rec2020 fixed the resolution issue. I can't say that this was the actual fix, for it worked with the "420" setting, but the display now switches to the proper resolution. I thought I may not have had the correct resolutions "whitelisted" within Kodi, but the ones I needed were all checked.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Those two pictures look like DVD vs BD. Are we just going to ignore the fact that the Kodi add on looks like its half the resolution? Also the colors look pushed on the Kodi addon. I don't notice these problems when I run the addon, but I just installed it a few days ago and haven't watched much. As far as those photos go, the native app looks hilariously better. I can't fathom how anyone can think otherwise.

If it's the camera, why post them? Lock the exposure on the phone and just take a photo of each without changing anything. If they look different, then there is some issue with color space/resoution/etc making them look different.
Which is yet another reason I use TV Apps for streaming everything except live TV. The sharpness, vivid colors, contrast...everything that I gain from using my Samsung S8000 (2016), is far superior to anything the Shield TV or any apps within it are capable of. So I lose Atmos for a handful of titles. Oh well...

Below is from my 'ancient TV' Netflix app.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
So what's the best VPN? I've never used one, but got a few notices from my internet provider about illegal downloads.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk
I have NordVPN... costly but it works so well. And I get nearly no slowdowns with streaming or downloading. You can get 3 years for $100, which is well worth it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Is there a way to sync the database between Kodi and MrMC?
Since my media is on a DLNA server (Serviio), neither Kodi nor MrMC maintain a database. It's all on my server itself.
I believe the important question is whether Kodi and MrMC can share the same current Kodi database version (18), the answer to which I believe is sadly no, but would welcome a correction on this.

MySQL Compatibility

database versions (DB sharing with external SQL)

·
Registered
614 Posts
When using Emby to catalog media doesn't Kodi still use its playback engine?
I guess I can't speak with authority on that but certainly that is the logical assumption.

It never occurred to me until I tried substituting Emby as a back end for Kodi, but in my experience, for whatever reason when using Emby as a back end, Kodi would not play .iso files like it would when using a local database. I can only draw the conclusion that the general lack of official support for .iso in Emby is responsible. It seems worse for Android clients, perhaps somewhat better in PC clients but when seeking out answers from official Emby support I mostly I found the suggestion 'just convert to .mkv' whenever somebody asked about it.

I would love to be proven wrong on this. When I posted about this in a related Emby forum nobody disputed my findings.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
I guess I can't speak with authority on that but certainly that is the logical assumption.

It never occurred to me until I tried substituting Emby as a back end for Kodi, but in my experience, for whatever reason when using Emby as a back end, Kodi would not play .iso files like it would when using a local database. I can only draw the conclusion that the general lack of official support for .iso in Emby is responsible. It seems worse for Android clients, perhaps somewhat better in PC clients but when seeking out answers from official Emby support I mostly I found the suggestion 'just convert to .mkv' whenever somebody asked about it.

I would love to be proven wrong on this. When I posted about this in a related Emby forum nobody disputed my findings.
It makes sense, I guess you can't use Emby for just a database. I don't use .IOS's so never ran into that issue.

·
Registered
659 Posts
https://www.techradar.com/vpn/best-vpn
Mine (VPNUnlimited) doesn't even crack the top 10, but it's cheap and has always worked fine for my purposes (streaming foreign TV). I don't do torrents.
I'm a little bit suspicious of them.

Reviews keep referring to them as a New-York based company. But looking the list of employees' names, it sure doesn't look like random tech employees in New York to me (see attached).

Also, they don't promise zero logging like other VPNs, which almost certainly means your session is being logged for some future use.

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Can anyone recommend a backup app? (backup media drive, not system)

I have a single 10TB drive, USB connected. Over the months I've been ripping my disc collection to it. Initially I was not concerned about a backup because the discs themselves are a backup, in a sense. But now that I'm pretty deep into this, I think about the time and labor to re-rip everything if the drive fails. So I'm thinking about adding a second 10TB USB drive as a backup.

I'd like to install some sort of backup application to have an automatic, periodic backup of the existing media drive.

Can anyone recommend an Android application that would be good contender for doing that? I've looked at about a dozen so far, but of course every single one is about backing up Android phones, and not suitable to backup media from one external drive to another.

EDIT: I don't want to do a RAID. I have prior experience with that and would prefer not to go that route.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I have a single 10TB drive, USB connected. Over the months I've been ripping my disc collection to it. Initially I was not concerned about a backup because the discs themselves are a backup, in a sense. But now that I'm pretty deep into this, I think about the time and labor to re-rip everything if the drive fails. So I'm thinking about adding a second 10TB USB drive as a backup.

I'd like to install some sort of backup application to have an automatic, periodic backup of the existing media drive.

Can anyone recommend an Android application that would be good contender for doing that? I've looked at about a dozen so far, but of course every single one is about backing up Android phones, and not suitable to backup media from one external drive to another.
Probably not what you are looking for but when I was thinking thru ensuring proper redundancy for my critical data several years ago I decided to go with a Synology NAS configured as RAID 1. I use a two disk Synology NAS that provides hot swap capability for either of the HDDs if it detects that they are degrading in any way. Since it’s using RAID 1 it copies the data to both drives whenever you write to it and the NAS OS itself continually monitors the health of both drives and will automatically send me an email if it detects anything out of the ordinary with either HDD. I use a pair of WD Red HDDs in my Synology NAS. You still may want to have an offsite copy to protect against a “house burns down” type scenario. Personally I keep a subset of my data that I deem 100% critical (financial records, family pics, and some other things) and that I wouldn’t be able to reproduce on my Windows Laptop which is always automatically backed up to the cloud in near real time using Carbonite.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Probably not what you are looking for but when I was thinking thru ensuring proper redundancy for my critical data several years ago I decided to go with a Synology NAS configured as RAID 1. I use a two disk Synology NAS that provides hot swap capability for either of the HDDs if it detects that they are degrading in any way. Since it’s using RAID 1 it copies the data to both drives whenever you write to it and the NAS OS itself continually monitors the health of both drives and will automatically send me an email if it detects anything out of the ordinary with either HDD. I use a pair of WD Red HDDs in my Synology NAS. You still may want to have an offsite copy to protect against a “house burns down” type scenario. Personally I keep a subset of my data that I deem 100% critical (financial records, family pics, and some other things) and that I wouldn’t be able to reproduce on my Windows Laptop which is always automatically backed up to the cloud in near real time using Carbonite.
Thanks, I appreciate the response. For various reasons I don't want to go with RAID, but I should have said so in my post. I've edited it to make that clear.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the response. For various reasons I don't want to go with RAID, but I should have said so in my post. I've edited it to make that clear.
No worries, hope you find a solution that will work for your requirements.

I don’t want to stray to far off the thread topic but just curious about the issue with RAID. I’ve been running mine for a bit over 6 years now without any blips but, as you can probably tell, I’m rather serious about protecting my data. If their is a potential issue I’d like to know about it...

Edit - and just for clarity as I’m sure you are aware, but for others that may be reading, RAID 1 duplicates the data on both drives. So as an example, if you use 2 10TB HDDs you only get 10TB of storage and it writes the same data on both HDDs. If either one fails you still have all your data, you just replace the failed HDD.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I don’t want to stray to far off the thread topic but just curious about the issue with RAID. I’ve been running mine for a bit over 6 years now without any blips but, as you can probably tell, I’m rather serious about protecting my data. If their is a potential issue I’d like to know about it...
Sure. Here are my reasons:

1. RAID is not a backup. RAID being a backup is a common misconception and there are important differences. RAID is redundancy that protects against HDD failure only.

For example if I do a bunch of management and screw things up, or accidentally format the drive or something, or become a victim to malware...with a backup available there is something to restore from. With a RAID, the screwups/damage are instantly mirrored in real-time on the redundant drive. There is no backup to restore from.

I've done RAID twice before and the complexity adds its own problems. For example the RAID enclosure itself becomes a single point of failure. If it fails, you lose access to both drives. In most cases RAID has some weird LINUX formatting like EXT that prevents it from being easily usable if you hook up a drive directly to the host. In really bad cases the formatting might be proprietary, for example with DROBOs, in which case you are screwed.

With separate USB drives, if one HDD or its enclosure fails, the other is still working. And both drives have formatting native to the host device.

2. Existing capability / Simplicity. Android TV already features NAS, so why spend money to buy a NAS? Just enable SAMBA and BAM...network attached storage. Simple and clean. From my Windows PC, I rip my discs directly to the network drive and manage its contents.

Buying another NAS means spending more money duplicating something I already have. It means another device to power, learn, configure, troubleshoot, and maintain with updates. I see a lot of negatives and very little benefit.

3. Cost. I'm looking at simply adding a second USB drive. The only cost is the drive itself. Going with a NAS means the added cost of the NAS itself, plus internal drives tend to be more expensive than externals. Although you can "shuck" the externals, that voids warranty, and in some cases you find out the drive has no SATA interface, it has a soldered USB interface.

TL;DR:
So hopefully you can see why I just want to plug in a second USB drive and run a backup app. It's more simple, it's cheaper, it's also a NAS, it's also redundant, it doesn't introduce a new single point of failure (the NAS device itself), and unlike a mirror RAID it actually provides a backup.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts

1. RAID is not a backup. RAID being a backup is a common misconception and there are important differences. RAID is redundancy that protects against HDD failure only.

For example if I do a bunch of management and screw things up, or accidentally format the drive or something, or become a victim to malware...with a backup available there is something to restore from. With a RAID, the screwups/damage are instantly mirrored in real-time on the redundant drive. There is no backup to restore from.

I've done RAID twice before and the complexity adds its own problems. For example the RAID enclosure itself becomes a single point of failure. If it fails, you lose access to both drives. In most cases RAID has some weird LINUX formatting like EXT that prevents it from being easily usable if you hook up a drive directly to the host. In really bad cases the formatting might be proprietary, for example with DROBOs, in which case you are screwed.

With separate USB drives, if one HDD or its enclosure fails, the other is still working. And both drives have formatting native to the host device.

2. Existing capability / Simplicity. Android TV already features NAS, so why spend money to buy a NAS? Just enable SAMBA and BAM...network attached storage. Simple and clean. From my Windows PC, I rip my discs directly to the network drive and manage its contents.

Buying another NAS means spending more money duplicating something I already have. It means another device to power, learn, configure, troubleshoot, and maintain with updates. I see a lot of negatives and very little benefit.

3. Cost. I'm looking at simply adding a second USB drive. The only cost is the drive itself. Going with a NAS means the added cost of the NAS itself, plus internal drives tend to be more expensive than externals. Although you can "shuck" the externals, that voids warranty, and in some cases you find out the drive has no SATA interface, it has a soldered USB interface.

TL;DR:
So hopefully you can see why I just want to plug in a second USB drive and run a backup app. It's more simple, it's cheaper, it's also a NAS, it's also redundant, it doesn't introduce a new single point of failure (the NAS device itself), and unlike a mirror RAID it actually provides a backup.
Thanks for spending the time to share your thoughts. Yeah, I need a NAS for a whole other set of reasons and it pre-dates both of my Shields. The redundancy is just a bonus for me in case of HDD failure. I do backups as well for much of the reasons you outlined...

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...LOL

·
Registered
607 Posts

TL;DR:
Thanks for spending the time to share your thoughts. Yeah, I need a NAS for a whole other set of reasons and it pre-dates both of my Shields. The redundancy is just a bonus for me in case of HDD failure. I do backups as well for much of the reasons you outlined...

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...LOL
Well you obviously know your $h!t and have your reasons, so no point in anyone trying to convince you to go in another direction.

FreeFileSync works on PC, Mac and Linix. GoodSync works well also. And there's always the ancient yet reliable SyncToy for PC.

I'm in the same boat, wanting to protect my time. I needed a NAS anyway, so I'm running a Synology 1515+. I copt all my rips to the NAS for storage and to a separate Ubuntu server for, y'know, serving. Acts as an additional backup.

Given the amount of time it takes to rip, why wouldn't you just drag and drop to another drive? So you even need or want to rely on another program? Even if you are ripping 5 a day, you could drag and drop easier than setting up a sync tool.

The only thing I'd add re a NAS is that your library is going to grow and youre going to find that 10tb isnt enough at some point, especially if you start backing up your UHD/4k. At 35-50gb and some pushing 75gb, those drives fill up fast. A NAS makes it easy just to add another drive when you need to expand. I'm a bit annoyed at the moment having my A-K and L-Z titles on separate drives. Minor quibble.

Reactions: Actionable Mango

·
Registered
659 Posts
Given the amount of time it takes to rip, why wouldn't you just drag and drop to another drive?
You know, that's a good idea. If I cannot find an Android app to do it for me, I will probably do exactly that. It's not like I have to deal with weird system and hidden files.

The only thing I'd add re a NAS is that your library is going to grow and youre going to find that 10tb isnt enough at some point, especially if you start backing up your UHD/4k. At 35-50gb and some pushing 75gb, those drives fill up fast. A NAS makes it easy just to add another drive when you need to expand. I'm a bit annoyed at the moment having my A-K and L-Z titles on separate drives. Minor quibble.
I hear ya, but I'm actually switching a lot of my discs to the cloud. (I know, I know... Boo! Hiss! Get the heretic! :p)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

TL;DR:

It is/was for several of the reasons you cited that I went with a JBOD configuration on my NAS rather than any sort of RAID...

This probably isn't the solution you are wanting, but for this kind of "entertainment" media (Blu Ray RIPs, CD Rips, HiRez FLAC purchases, Commercially-edited DVR recordings, etc), I do it manually... I've been in this hobby for quite a while now (probably almost 10 years?); I put in a large quantity of my sweat-equity time-investment a long time ago (commercially-editing, semi-manually, all-but-two episodes of Seinfeld; ripping my entire CD and Blu Ray collection to FLAC and MKV, etc). I don't buy CDs or Movies at *that fast* of a clip anymore, maybe a couple of discs a month... and I'm not commercially-editing (for "keeps") TV shows in anywhere near the quantity I was doing while amassing a "collection" in my pre-kids days...

I keep a "list" on my phone of Movies and CDs I've purchased since my last (manual) backup, and once every month or so I hook up the appropriate USB external and back up everything that I have written on my list that I've ripped/added since my last (manual) backup... then I delete the list and start a new one. If I take a *crash* in between backups? I've lost maybe 3-4 movies and 4-5 CDs, at most, since my last backup... I'll just re-rip those 9 discs again, not a big deal.

Not *ideal* but it's not THE WORST system in the universe for having an offline/unplugged true "backup" of all my "fun" multimedia...

·
Registered
607 Posts
You know, that's a good idea. If I cannot find an Android app to do it for me, I will probably do exactly that. It's not like I have to deal with weird system and hidden files.

I hear ya, but I'm actually switching a lot of my discs to the cloud. (I know, I know... Boo! Hiss! Get the heretic! :p)
Seems like I went through a lot of the same hand wringing about the best way to back up my stuff as you are. There's no 'right' way. Only whats right for you.

But a couple of things made me not want to use the cloud. First and foremost was cost. The price to store my library in the cloud seemed ridiculously high compared the cost of buying more discs. And second -- i don't like the prying eyes. Sure I have the physical media that i'm ripping, but I don't like the idea of the studios seeing that I've got a rip stored in the cloud and hassling me over it. Its not happening right now that I'm away of, but I can easily see it being pursued down the road. The idea that my stuff could just vanish because Universal Studios struck a deal with Carbonite or whomever just pisses me off.

So no "getting the heritic" from me. Do whats best for you.

Reactions: Actionable Mango
10521 - 10540 of 14553 Posts