AVS Forum banner

12101 - 12120 of 14553 Posts

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Sounds like a lot of back and forth but at least you got it working. Good to know it can be done.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Sounds like a lot of back and forth but at least you got it working. Good to know it can be done.
I could live with it, plus the Shield is not my goto device for Music Playback.

Now the apps:
Plex
VLC
Amazon Music (HD)
Spotify
Pandora
Tidal

My AVR reports 48kHz from all of the apps mentioned above, no changes at all.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I could live with it, plus the Shield is not my goto device for Music Playback.

Now the apps:
Plex
VLC
Amazon Music (HD)
Spotify
Pandora
Tidal

My AVR reports 48kHz from all of the apps mentioned above, no changes at all.

How about is it as a Roon endpoint? Did you experiment at all with that?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have no problems with the Shield, latest firmware, Kodi, dropouts, PQ, SQ, large or small mkvs.

It is my go to device.

Can you provide more info on your signal chain, and the content that you are playing?

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Can you provide more info on your signal chain, and the content that you are playing?
Samsung N950 Atmos soundbar, Netflix, Prime, etc., mkv ranging up to 4K Atmos files on Kodi up to about 60g or so.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
How about is it as a Roon endpoint? Did you experiment at all with that?
This is what I see when Using the Shield as a Roon Endpoint.
((((Casting)))))

DSP is completely disabled but DSP Volume is enabled. (Not sure why).

Update: Set the Shield to Max Volume, now the DSP chain is set to Passthrough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: psuKinger

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Samsung N950 Atmos soundbar, Netflix, Prime, etc., mkv ranging up to 4K Atmos files on Kodi up to about 60g or so.

So no AVR incorporated into your signal chain.

Hmm.. this maybe where my issue is.. Denon's have had several issues submitted to Kodi bug tracker.. Not sure if other manufacturer AVR's are experiencing any audio drops, such as Onkyo, Sony, Yamaha's?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
This is what I see when Using the Shield as a Roon Endpoint.
((((Casting)))))

DSP is completely disabled but DSP Volume is enabled. (Not sure why).

Update: Set the Shield to Max Volume, now the DSP chain is set to Passthrough.
1. Thanks for the detailed response.
2. Bummer; looks like it's upsampling the 16/44.1 to 16/48, as I'd feared...?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
@psuKinger

This is what I'm seeing through my Chromecast Ultra. I didn't bother to take a screen shot of my AVR.

Look at the Sample Rate Conversion.

Reactions: psuKinger

·
UHD Addict
37,092 Posts
My findings regarding Hi Rez Audio Playback on the Shield

I don't use the Shield to playback any music from my Library. I primarily use my Oppo 203 as a Roon Endpoint. I know there have been some issues with the Shield down-sampling audio to 48Hz as well.

Because of my audio findings with my Xbox One X with Real Time information displayed on my AVR, I decided to test this out with the Shield as well.

I've found that with MrMC, I can play back Hi Rez Audio files and my AVR will display the correct information. Using apps such as Plex and VLC Player will down sample the same Hi Rez Files to 48hz.
I have some DSD files that actually work via MrMC as well, IF I set my audio settings to 5.1 rather than 2.0. My AVR will display "Multi Channel In". I'm pretty sure this can be accomplished with Kodi, but I eliminated alot of components from that App and just left it as a Video Player for Local Content.

I do not have any Multi-Channel Flac files to test at the moment. I have a video demo file that contains a 5.1 Flac audio file but I can only get two-channels at 48Hz to Play.
I've found that the native Plex app can't even play back the audio from my old BD rips. Rips with 5.1 PCm audio. But Plex with Kodi plays them back without any issue.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Regarding Blu Ray Rips, I've never had an issue with the audio formats.

Earlier on in the Shield's infancy, Dolby TrueHD was not supported for both Plex and Kodi, so only DTSMA. Eventually Kodi gained the ability to Bitstream Dolby TrueHD, and then Plex.

These audio findings reminds me of Atmos support for Netflix. Not counting the Netflix add-on for Kodi, while Atmos support is not available for the native Netflix app, we all know that the Shield is quite capable of supporting this feature.

As we all know, it's the Apps that need to have the support of certain features. For video, display resolution, Colorspace switching, and refresh switching, can be accomplished with Kodi/MrMC.

For "hi resolution" audio, again, Kodi/MrMC seem to be at the forefront.

You can install an external dac for "exclusive" audio performance and achieve the same results, but it's a bit cumbersome.

With other user findings, I completely disregarded the Shield as an Audio player. The Oppo 203, to my surprise, is more than a great UHD Player, so I stuck with working on that device. It's not a 205, but the 203 definitely holds it own.

With that said, the Shield (((again))) is a quite capable player, but it will take apps such as Kodi or MrMC to push this devices capabilities.

·
Registered
184 Posts

Hmm.. this maybe where my issue is.. Denon's have had several issues submitted to Kodi bug tracker.. Not sure if other manufacturer AVR's are experiencing any audio drops, such as Onkyo, Sony, Yamaha's?
I'm also getting random audio drop out with the Shield via a Denon AVR. only with lossless audio, lossy audio is fine :(

I never get any with my htpc or my bluray player though.

Reactions: sirjaymz

·
Registered
2,147 Posts

Must be specific model Denon AVRs then or other variables. I have one of my Shields connected to my Denon x6400h in my home theater and have never experienced any of the problems described.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Must be specific model Denon AVRs then or other variables. I have one of my Shields connected to my Denon x6400h in my home theater and have never experienced any of the problems described.
Interesting.. I take it you are using the latest firmware for your 6400.. I will try my 6300 as the primary AVR and see if that makes a difference.

Video Output Chain
Nvidia Shield 8.0.1 >> Monoprice HDMI Premium Cable 3ft >> Media Player Input Denon-AVR-X7200WA >> Monitor1 Output >> Monoprice HDMI Premium Cable 10ft >> "coupler" >> Monoprice HDMI Premium Cable 15ft >> Input 1 JVC-RS-2000, fw 3.10

Audio Chain.
Easier showing a photo...

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Well this is a Shocker to me.

I didn't notice this until a few minutes ago. I forgot that I can only play Multi-Channel DSD files on my Oppo 203 if said files were stored on a USB Drive.
If I change to my AVR's Music Server input and access those same DSD Files, the AVR errors out.

The Shield played the same files from my NAS via MrMC with ease.

I'd expect the Oppo to always "one up" the Shield in one form or fashion, but in this case, the Shield bested the Oppo and Marantz AVR.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Oh I have a bunch of albums. I have been using the Odroid N2 to play them recently. Plays them with no fuss.
OK, Currently have MrMC set up the way I want.

Now I'm working on Kodi and setting up Tidal to see what it can do.

From what I've read all day, as long as you can bypass the Android Audio system, you can play Bit-Perfect Audio files outside of Multi-Channel audio from Video Files on the Shield. Only a few apps are capable of this.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
OK, Currently have MrMC set up the way I want.

Now I'm working on Kodi and setting up Tidal to see what it can do.

From what I've read all day, as long as you can bypass the Android Audio system, you can play Bit-Perfect Audio files outside of Multi-Channel audio from Video Files on the Shield. Only a few apps are capable of this.

Yeah that's the thing. Getting around Android.

12101 - 12120 of 14553 Posts