AVS Forum banner

13221 - 13240 of 14528 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was going to suggest delays but it sounds like you tried that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: ckronengold

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
I am having the same issue with the Shield/JVC power off sequence. Tried several things to no avail.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
That is a strange bug perhaps in the BT stack involving both devices. not the proj. The shield and the hub or 950 remote. Please try the following If not already.

Go into power down settings or the section when switching from activity to activity. Have the activity turn the proj off first and the shield off last. Can a delay be inserted to give the harmony and hub a few seconds to swap from BT to IR. Also attempt to enable IR only on JVC projector in general settings. Perhaps the hub is the misfire.

Last thing I would recommend is maybe learning a seperate power off command and adding that to the sequence assuming somehow the hex is broke when used with that particular activity. It can be something as simple as a sleep vs power command being issues that does nothing because of a dose error when used with Bluetooth.

I think at a last resort if I had a flirc for the 2019 shield I might try the IR device code for the 2017 model. to see If something is handled differently with power off.

I've had quite a bit of experience with the harmony's and have seen them do some strange things including come back to life after completely loosing all ir ability with emergency flash back to hub only. It strange how once second it works and then the next it does not... and you did nothing or changed nothing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Shield not able to stream Plex direct, but roku can??

So, I noticed in the last week or so that my shield is not able to direct stream/play my mkv files via Plex. It will start to play, and after about 20 seconds it says something along the lines of "connection not strong enough, check network".

The shield is connected via ethernet and I have a strong connection. I have tried uninstalling plex updates, restarting shield, etc.

The weird thing is, is that my roku (which is in another room) IS able to direct stream/play OVER WIFI. What the heck?? Is it time to upgrade to the new shield pro?:eeksurprise:

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Purchasing a newer Shield pro will not solve your problem. We need more details regarding the content you are streaming, plus your settings for Plex on the Shield, and Plex Media Server settings .

·
Registered
108 Posts
I did, and it didn't seem to help. Thats why I'm so confused. I tried powering off the projector first, I tried it last with a delay, and nothing seemed to help.

Its honestly baffling. It works fine with my other activities, and the projector is part of the sequences for my Shield, Roku, Oppo 103 and Panny 420. All of them work fine. And its not like the device should even matter, since the Harmony just executes individual commands in sequence. Its not like there's a passthru or CEC or anything.

I may just factory reset the hub and rebuild all the activities. It is something weird having to do with the way the Harmony and the Shield interact, but I have no idea.

Thanks for your assistance nonetheless! happy holidays!
Did you find any resolution to this? I have the same exact problem with my Harmony Hub, Shield Pro 2019, and my Epson 6040. It is just so strange...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Did you find any resolution to this? I have the same exact problem with my Harmony Hub, Shield Pro 2019, and my Epson 6040. It is just so strange...
I haven't had time to try @nc88keyz 's suggestion above. Did it not work for you?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Purchasing a newer Shield pro will not solve your problem. We need more details regarding the content you are streaming, plus your settings for Plex on the Shield, and Plex Media Server settings .
I am trying to stream my blu ray collection, which is on an external hard drive, which connected to my brother's computer, which is connected to a gigabite internet connection, BUT which is located across the country from me.

I'm not 100% sure how he has the server set up, but I have no problem direct streaming the blu rays from my roku 3 in a different room via wifi, yet when I try to direct stream from the shield, which is hard-wired, it lags and buffers every 10 seconds. Other apps run just fine.

My internet connection is strong.

My shield/plex is set up as follows:
-Remote quality - Original
-Direct Play - Auto
-Direct Stream - On
-Passthrough - HDMI

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I am trying to stream my blu ray collection, which is on an external hard drive, which connected to my brother's computer, which is connected to a gigabite internet connection, BUT which is located across the country from me.

I'm not 100% sure how he has the server set up, but I have no problem direct streaming the blu rays from my roku 3 in a different room via wifi, yet when I try to direct stream from the shield, which is hard-wired, it lags and buffers every 10 seconds. Other apps run just fine.

My internet connection is strong.

My shield/plex is set up as follows:
-Remote quality - Original
-Direct Play - Auto
-Direct Stream - On
-Passthrough - HDMI

Before you do anything, check to see in the Shield's network settings that you are getting a Gig Connection. Also, replace the current ethernet cable with a known good working one.

It might help to connect your Shield via Wifi and see how it performs as well.

The reason why I saw replace the cable is because I was having issues with my HDHomeRUn network tuner a while back. TV Stations would constantly freeze up and the stations that had lower bandwidth played fine. I thought I may have to replace my Tuner, but out of curiosity, I replaced the ethernet cable on the tuner, and now those high bitrate channels stream fine without a hitch.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Before you do anything, check to see in the Shield's network settings that you are getting a Gig Connection. Also, replace the current ethernet cable with a known good working one.

It might help to connect your Shield via Wifi and see how it performs as well.

The reason why I saw replace the cable is because I was having issues with my HDHomeRUn network tuner a while back. TV Stations would constantly freeze up and the stations that had lower bandwidth played fine. I thought I may have to replace my Tuner, but out of curiosity, I replaced the ethernet cable on the tuner, and now those high bitrate channels stream fine without a hitch.
You know, its a good point. My ethernet cable is a long run (100 ft) and it is actually 2 50ft runs connected together. I figured it was fine because it seems faster than the wifi with youtubetv, etc. I will try the wifi again and see if it works.

The funny thing is, is that it was streaming fine about a week ago, and then all of a sudden the buffering started.

Would be usefull to use cat6 over cat5?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
You know, its a good point. My ethernet cable is a long run (100 ft) and it is actually 2 50ft runs connected together. I figured it was fine because it seems faster than the wifi with youtubetv, etc. I will try the wifi again and see if it works.

The funny thing is, is that it was streaming fine about a week ago, and then all of a sudden the buffering started.

With 100 feet Cat5 you should be fine.

If Plex started buffering a week ago, I would Check to see if the Plex Media Server had a software update as well. I'm using the "Beta" channel of Plex and the Plex Media Server on my Shield, so I'm getting a small update one day, then a large update the next. Very unpredictable.

·
Registered
262 Posts

If Plex started buffering a week ago, I would Check to see if the Plex Media Server had a software update as well. I'm using the "Beta" channel of Plex and the Plex Media Server on my Shield, so I'm getting a small update one day, then a large update the next. Very unpredictable.
So I just unplugged it from ethernet and restarted the shield, and it seems to be working! I'm thinking my ethernet "rig" was not sufficient.

Thank you very much groove for the advice!

·
Registered
3,567 Posts

That PMS beta channel is very unpredictable. Just 3 weeks ago they borked a beta so bad that hundreds or more people had to uninstall, turn it off, download the last working version from apkmirror and restore. That happens a couple of times a year. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
So I just unplugged it from ethernet and restarted the shield, and it seems to be working! I'm thinking my ethernet "rig" was not sufficient.

Thank you very much groove for the advice!
Yea, if the Roku is streaming fine on Wifi, then the Shield should as well. I would still ask about the Remote Plex Media Server and if it was updated.

It could be that an update is causing these issues and your Ethernet connection may be fine, but swapping cables is one of the simplest things to do before tearing everything down.

Reactions: IAH

·
UHD Addict
37,082 Posts

GigE was designed to work on Cat5e. Both Cat6 and Cat5e has a 100 meter limit for GigE.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

·
Registered
643 Posts
I got a Shield because everyone raved about the virtues of Kodi. I like the interface, and it does play high bitrate and UHD files smoothly, but I use subtitles frequently (external .srt usually) and I am disappointed that with Kodi I do not see any way to adjust the size, placement, etc. I am spoiled by my Oppo which easily allows me to adjust the size, placement etc. I find the subtitles larger than I want on Kodi.

Is there any way to adjust the size, font, placement of subtitles in Kodi, or is there another app that plays UHD HDR files as smoothly as Kodi with better subtitle management/support?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I got a Shield because everyone raved about the virtues of Kodi. I like the interface, and it does play high bitrate and UHD files smoothly, but I use subtitles frequently (external .srt usually) and I am disappointed that with Kodi I do not see any way to adjust the size, placement, etc. I am spoiled by my Oppo which easily allows me to adjust the size, placement etc. I find the subtitles larger than I want on Kodi.

Is there any way to adjust the size, font, placement of subtitles in Kodi, or is there another app that plays UHD HDR files as smoothly as Kodi with better subtitle management/support?

Thanks.

Go to Settings then Player then Language and change to “Expert” mode (bottom left). Subtitle settings are in the second panel down on the large right section.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have 2 nvidia Shields- a 2017 smaller size with the standard amt of storage and the Shield Pro with the 500GB harddrive. I don't need two, and I need to make some sales. I'm wondering what a used 2017 nvidia shield should be worth? I will probably sell the regular Shield and set up KODI on the one with the harddrive.

If we can talk about used prices that's great, if that falls afoul of the rules, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for your help!

13221 - 13240 of 14528 Posts