AVS Forum banner

14721 - 14740 of 14756 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Is there a way to search for an app by typing your request instead of voicing it? I'm looking for an app that my Roku has but I can't find on the Shield. It's called MTGO(MotorTrendGO).
Sure, in the Google Store click on the search icon then click right on the d-pad and it will bring up the virtual keyboard.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Isn't the Shield an Android device?
Yep. The only thing I can think of is the Android app is designed for a phone screen, not the larger screen of a TV. I've seen that in the iTunes store with apps that are designed for the phone and either aren't listed for the iPad or just look bad on it.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Haven't seen this posted here yet, so I thought I'd mention it. I've been following the Chromecast with Google TV release and have one in-hand. I've mainly been interested in the new UI along with YTTV and Nest Hello integration but was also hoping to get Disney+ Atmos back (which hasn't been working on my '17 Shield TV Pro since March). I'm not really an MKV/rip hoarder anymore, so I was considering it as a possible Shield TV replacement. Unfortunately, it seems several key apps (mainly Vudu and Disney+) haven't been optimized for full-feature use with the new hardware yet (HDX only from Vudu, no Atmos from D+), so mine remains in the box for now.

Instead of opening up my GTV I spent my time installing the Google TV Launcher on my '17 Shield TV Pro. I like the UI and the YTTV integration. It's a little sluggish at 24hz framerate (required for HDR compatibility with my Epson) but runs smoother at 30hz and is snappy at 60hz. No Nest Hello, but that will either come with the official update eventually or the GTV will catch up. I've had the launcher crash a couple of times, once when opening the device settings and once when exitng the Prime app, but it just reverts to the last launched app and another press of the Home button reopened the launcher just fine. The launcher home screen does take a second or two to load/populate each time you return to it. Still no D+ Atmos, but that's completely related to the app and not the GTV Launcher... at least Vudu works in full.

Here are the instructions I followed to install and it was a painless process:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Haven't seen this posted here yet, so I thought I'd mention it. I've been following the Chromecast with Google TV release and have one in-hand. I've mainly been interested in the new UI along with YTTV and Nest Hello integration but was also hoping to get Disney+ Atmos back (which hasn't been working on my '17 Shield TV Pro since March). I'm not really an MKV/rip hoarder anymore, so I was considering it as a possible Shield TV replacement. Unfortunately, it seems several key apps (mainly Vudu and Disney+) haven't been optimized for full-feature use with the new hardware yet (HDX only from Vudu, no Atmos from D+), so mine remains in the box for now.

Instead of opening up my GTV I spent my time installing the Google TV Launcher on my '17 Shield TV Pro. I like the UI and the YTTV integration. It's a little sluggish at 24hz framerate (required for HDR compatibility with my Epson) but runs smoother at 30hz and is snappy at 60hz. No Nest Hello, but that will either come with the official update eventually or the GTV will catch up. I've had the launcher crash a couple of times, once when opening the device settings and once when exitng the Prime app, but it just reverts to the last launched app and another press of the Home button reopened the launcher just fine. The launcher home screen does take a second or two to load/populate each time you return to it. Still no D+ Atmos, but that's completely related to the app and not the GTV Launcher... at least Vudu works in full.

Here are the instructions I followed to install and it was a painless process:

Thanks. Did you test reverting back to normal? I'd like to play around with the new GTV Launcher but only if I can revert back to current with no issues.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I haven't yet, but reverting is as simple as re-installing the Android TV Launcher via ADB, same as the uninstall process.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Haha understood. I don't think there's much risk involved with this one, and the kind of thing a factory reset would fix as well (worst case scenario).

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
TBH, I grew liking the GTV's AI recommendations of shows or movies I have never heard of before, mostly because Prime Video's aweful UI for discovering shows that's not made by Amazon. It is certainly a step forward than we have today, e.g. nothing.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I want to use Google Assistant for searching movies by voice, but I don't want to give Google permission to access my web history... If I made another Google account, but don't use it for anything but the Shield, would this be a safe way to get the Assistant without giving my privacy into away?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Maybe you want to have a look at Vimu Media Player:

It doesn’t fit all your needs but it can connect to WebDAV and provides thumbnails.
It’s also one of few video players that support PiP and auto frame rate switching (although that won’t work on the new Google dongle).

Thank you. I went with MrMC Pro ($2.99) MrMC - Apps on Google Play

It does everything I want: It supports tons of protocols, including WebDAV.

It also provides media descriptions, thumbnails, and ratings, as well as Trailers.

I also tried it with Put.io and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
For anyone interested, one glitch I've found using the Google TV launcher on my '17 Shield TV Pro is it almost always seems to wake from screen saver in the last used app instead of on the home screen, regardless of if you were on the home screen when the screen saver kicked in. Same bug on my Mi Box 4S and Hisense H8F. Not a deal-breaker, just something of note.

I've spent some time (mostly out of boredom) marking items watched/thumbs-up/thumbs-down in the Google TV UI and it's content recommendations are getting really good. That, along with the cross-platform watchlist, is REALLY making me like the new UI. I haven't really retrained myself to use the "Live" tab for YTTV yet... hopefully, that will come with time and muscle memory. I do wish the "back" command would take you to the Google TV guide instead of the YTTV in-app guide just to make the UI change less noticeable, but maybe/hopefully a YTTV app refresh is in the works to match the UI better? I still haven't hooked up my Chromecast 2020 to see how the full-fledged experience compares... maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I have the 2017 version and now an LG OLED. The LG remote, believe it or not does not have an info or display button to see what actual rez mode the TV ion. I picked up a generic LG remote and the info button works on the OLED as it should. (Directv or OTA shows 720P, 480P, 1080i, etc) The problem is that anything I'm watching on the shield shows 2160 whether its SD or HD or 4K like the Shield is upconverting? The Shield display output is set to Default 2160 59.9 hz. Thanks

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
... The problem is that anything I'm watching on the shield shows 2160 whether its SD or HD or 4K like the Shield is upconverting? The Shield display output is set to Default 2160 59.9 hz. Thanks
This is the case with all digital streaming devices that I've seen. The only device I have noticed that will give me the actual resolution being received is a 4-year old Vizio 4k TV when watching the built-in apps.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
So far Nvidia has released a new version of the Shield every two years (2015, 2017, 2019). I'm wondering if they'll be consistent and release a new model for 2021.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
If they keep to that same cycle, 2021 will be a mild refresh, possibly with a new form factor and updated controller on the same underlying architecture... though hopefully, the non-Pro model will at least be 64bit.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I'm hoping that if a new Shield (and I agree with the refresh reference) is released, Sony TVs will be to the point where performance and apps, including eARC support will be standardized to the point where an external device is not needed.

2022 will be the time for me to consider upgrading to an Oled and a larger display.
Considering how fast the Chromecast with Google TV is in its current state, holding off for another year is looking pretty solid right now.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm hoping that if a new Shield (and I agree with the refresh reference) is released, Sony TVs will be to the point where performance and apps, including eARC support will be standardized to the point where an external device is not needed.

2022 will be the time for me to consider upgrading to an Oled and a larger display.
Considering how fast the Chromecast with Google TV is in its current state, holding off for another year is looking pretty solid right now.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
Do Sony TVs use Android as their OS?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Do Sony TVs use Android as their OS?
Yes, earlier models have a really slow implementation of Android TV. A Shield, and now at Chromecast with Google TV, would run laps around them regarding performance.

New models have been much faster and responsive. So for me, a Shield may not be needed as the OS performance have improved over the years on these TVs.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Yes, earlier models have a really slow implementation of Android TV. A Shield, and now at Chromecast with Google TV, would run laps around them regarding performance.

New models have been much faster and responsive. So for me, a Shield may not be needed as the OS performance have improved over the years on these TVs.
I have a Sony and AFAIK they still have 10/100 Mbps ethernet which makes it difficult to stream large file high bitrate videos. If that’s still the case, and I think it is, people would still need a streaming device that has gig ethernet capability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

Don't want to derail the thread too much so just one more question. Do you think Sony TVs would be powerful enough to run Kodi for playing a large local collection from a Plex server and would it be possible to sideload apps like the PlexKodiConnect plugin? I guess that's two questions lol. Thanks for the info.

Edit: Nevermind the PlexKodiConnect question. It is installed within Kodi and is not an app to be sideloaded.

14721 - 14740 of 14756 Posts