AVS Forum banner

14741 - 14756 of 14756 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I've tried Kodi and Plex in the past, but again, very sluggish performance from any Onboard App when compared to the Shield. Plus the fact that the TV has no eARC, and therefore no Lossless Audio (my tv is from 2017).

I've had better performance using Kodi/Plex Addon compared to Plex on my TV. I'm able to play my 1:1 rips, Blu Ray and 4K via Kodi with no problems sans the ability to Stream Lossless Audio, but overall, the poor performance of these Onboard Apps as a whole, keeps my Shield as the go to Player in my System.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
roku channel.apk

The Roku Channel apk extracted from my 4k Fire TV stick. Works fine on the Shield, there is a lot of content here- just no watch list whatsoever so it's almost impossible to navigate. Use JustWatch.com to try and find what you need.
I installed the roku channel apk. Upon launch, I get the splash screen then a service unavailable message.

Update: Seems to be working now. You were right. No way to search for or sort/filter content.

·
Registered
721 Posts
So, another day, another Prime Video issue.

Shield connected to Denon 3600H, then single cable to TV. Dolby Audio Processing is set to off in the Shield. Cleared cache and reinstalled Prime App. Play video (Louie/30 Rock) with 5.1 in the description. Plays back in Dolby Surround.

To fix, I back to Shield menu. Double tap circle and X out app. Open Prime back up, play/resume same video, and get DD+ + DSur like I want.

Is there a permanent fix? Am I doing something wrong? As with all Prime issues, this is the only app with probs, as Netflix, Hulu, etc. all work fine.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
roku channel.apk

The Roku Channel apk extracted from my 4k Fire TV stick. Works fine on the Shield, there is a lot of content here- just no watch list whatsoever so it's almost impossible to navigate. Use JustWatch.com to try and find what you need.
Cool! Works great for me. It even connected to my Roku account. All the functionality seems to be present including search. The AI upscaling on my 2019 Pro works on it as well. Great find! Thanks for sharing!
FYI...It also worked on the new Chromecast with Google TV.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Cool! Works great for me. It even connected to my Roku account. All the functionality seems to be present including search. The AI upscaling on my 2019 Pro works on it as well. Great find! Thanks for sharing!
FYI...It also worked on the new Chromecast with Google TV.
It's really too bad there is no Watch List. Also the UI is terrible- It makes it almost impossible to find what you're looking for.

Roku obviously invested a lot of money for the content on it- I think there is even more here (and better content) than on Tubi. I wonder why they don't upgrade the whole interface to make things easier to find?

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's really too bad there is no Watch List. Also the UI is terrible- It makes it almost impossible to find what you're looking for.

Roku obviously invested a lot of money for the content on it- I think there is even more here (and better content) than on Tubi. I wonder why they don't upgrade the whole interface to make things easier to find?
Is the search function not there for you? Works fine for me and if by watchlist you mean the continue watching list, that is there for me as well. Honestly I compared it to my Roku Ultra and the interface looks almost identical. The only weirdness I have seen so far is that the movie Halloween is letterboxed and the bars at the top and bottom of the screen are a light gray instead of black, they are black on the Ultra as they should be. That would be of concern to me since I have an LG OLED.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Is the search function not there for you? Works fine for me and if by watchlist you mean the continue watching list, that is there for me as well. Honestly I compared it to my Roku Ultra and the interface looks almost identical. The only weirdness I have seen so far is that the movie Halloween is letterboxed and the bars at the top and bottom of the screen are a light gray instead of black, they are black on the Ultra as they should be. That would be of concern to me since I have an LG OLED.
No, the search tool is there but I like to browse and it’s very difficult to find anything that way. Also, a continue watching feature is not the same as a watch list.

I don’t get the gray bars either, it’s very distracting. Since I have a fire tv I’ll send them an email about it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
No, the search tool is there but I like to browse and it’s very difficult to find anything that way. Also, a continue watching feature is not the same as a watch list.

I don’t get the gray bars either, it’s very distracting. Since I have a fire tv I’ll send them an email about it.
Where do you see the search tool?

·
Registered
39 Posts
What's a good size for an external drive for the Shield Pro? I'm thinking a usb drive, Android Central recommends the SanDisk UltraFit 128 GB. Any thoughts? Thankye.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with it.
Hmmm, not sure exactly what all I'm going to be doing with it in the future. I won't be storing any video or music on it, that's stored elsewhere. Right now I use Kodi to watch vids and listen to music, watch Sling and HD HomeRun OTA TV, watch YT and Prime and some other stuff. Not sure if I'll be gaming or not.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
What's a good size for an external drive for the Shield Pro? I'm thinking a usb drive, Android Central recommends the SanDisk UltraFit 128 GB. Any thoughts? Thankye.
That’s the one I just picked up. Only $17. and change on Amazon. Added without issue, but I don’t game, just wanted to increase storage on my 2019 Pro.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Hmmm, not sure exactly what all I'm going to be doing with it in the future. I won't be storing any video or music on it, that's stored elsewhere. Right now I use Kodi to watch vids and listen to music, watch Sling and HD HomeRun OTA TV, watch YT and Prime and some other stuff. Not sure if I'll be gaming or not.
If you are going to use it as internal/adopted storage I highly suggest that you DO NOT use a USB flash drive. They are simply not designed to be used as a primary drive (which is essentially how it will be used if it is configured as internal/adopted storage). Even Nvidia no longer recommends using USB flash drives as internal/adopted storage. You will be much better off using a SSD in an enclosure. For both my Shields I used Kingston 120 GB A400 SSDs in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminum Hard Drive Enclosures. All my content is stored on a Synology NAS device.

14741 - 14756 of 14756 Posts