AVS Forum banner

14821 - 14840 of 14883 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Quick question on the current Shield Pro Best Buy is selling.
Two USB 3.0 ports. Can one port be used for a 256 or 512GB USB 3.0 stick to expand INTERNAL storage while using the other port for a 14TB external storage drive for the plex server? Is there a limit to the size of the storage on the USB port?
Yes, but suggestion for expanding internal storage would be really fast memory or ssd.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Quick question on the current Shield Pro Best Buy is selling.
Two USB 3.0 ports. Can one port be used for a 256 or 512GB USB 3.0 stick to expand INTERNAL storage while using the other port for a 14TB external storage drive for the plex server? Is there a limit to the size of the storage on the USB port?
Yes. One suggestion, do not use a USB stick for internal/adopted storage, it is just not made for that use case. Use a SSD instead. For both of my Shields I use Kingston 120GB SSD's (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6JQS8C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) in Sabrent enclosures (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LS31KQG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for internal/adopted storage.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Yes. One suggestion, do not use a USB stick for internal/adopted storage, it is just not made for that use case. Use a SSD instead. For both of my Shields I use Kingston 120GB SSD's (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6JQS8C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) in Sabrent enclosures (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LS31KQG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for internal/adopted storage.
How about this one:

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Don't you need one to convert to USB?
Well yes but that’s basic required functionality. Sorry I suppose I should have stated that pretty much any enclosure that supports recent specs and provides the required functionality will do. What I was trying to indicate was that the SSD you pick is more important than the enclosure. Heck, using a SSD like the one I linked I know folks that don’t even bother with an enclosure, they just get a cable that converts to USB. Personally I prefer using an enclosure.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Glad it will work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyway to adjust the HDR to SDR tone mapping for the Shield? I'm using a 4K projector but all of my 4K rips are in HDR and projectors outside of the newest JVCs do not tone map it down very well. The 4K HDR picture ends up looking extremely dull. If I keep the Shield in 4K SDR it improves the picture a lot but I would still prefer it to bump the brightness of the conversion a bit. Is there any toggle to use for this to get a brighter image?

Also has anyone tested the HDR to SDR tone mapping of the Shield vs Plex's tone mapping on the server side?

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
ok so i apologize - I know this is the wrong place to post this but hear me out...

Kodi can't find my NAS on my network. I was able to mount it on the Shield but Kodi can't seem to find that for whatever reason.

This was all working find until I installed Google WiFi and now literally everything network related in my house is totally broken. I was able to put my ISP's router into bridge mode which fixed most of the issues but this one is still problematic.

Anyone have any troubleshooting tips?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
ok so i apologize - I know this is the wrong place to post this but hear me out...

Kodi can't find my NAS on my network. I was able to mount it on the Shield but Kodi can't seem to find that for whatever reason.

This was all working find until I installed Google WiFi and now literally everything network related in my house is totally broken. I was able to put my ISP's router into bridge mode which fixed most of the issues but this one is still problematic.

Anyone have any troubleshooting tips?
My suggestion would be to find a Google WiFi forum to ask your question. Sounds like that is the root of your problem.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
My suggestion would be to find a Google WiFi forum to ask your question. Sounds like that is the root of your problem.
impossible to overstate how unhelpful those places are

edit : solved my own issue - Google WiFi has somehow disabled NFS, forcing me to use Samba which my main movie drive was not set up to share.

Some day, someone is going to come up with a consumer product with no compromises in quality and no BS setup issues. Until then, I will keep pulling my hair out. This is maddening.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
LOL...I can imagine. One place to try would be the SmallNetBuilders forum (SmallNetBuilder Forums). Lots of knowledgeable folks participate there.
thanks I have used smallnetbuilder for years and I love that community. The people at Google WiFi are either hopelessly uninformed or so technical that they can't be understood. It's a horrid experience for a product that has so many basic issues.

14821 - 14840 of 14883 Posts