AVS Forum banner

14841 - 14860 of 14883 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
thanks I have used smallnetbuilder for years and I love that community. The people at Google WiFi are either hopelessly uninformed or so technical that they can't be understood. It's a horrid experience for a product that has so many basic issues.
Are you past the return window for the Google WiFi stuff? There are plenty of good alternatives out there.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I received my replacement power adapter today. It was a bit painful figuring out how to swap out the US prong adapter but I figured it out and plugged it. Here's hoping that's the end of all my weird freezing issues.

oh and @mjwagner - I'm just beat down at this point. I don't have the energy to completely change out my WiFi again - I have like 60 devices that have to have passwords entered - a crap ton of smart devices and it's just a miserable experience every time I have to change it.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I received my replacement power adapter today. It was a bit painful figuring out how to swap out the US prong adapter but I figured it out and plugged it. Here's hoping that's the end of all my weird freezing issues.

oh and @mjwagner - I'm just beat down at this point. I don't have the energy to completely change out my WiFi again - I have like 60 devices that have to have passwords entered - a crap ton of smart devices and it's just a miserable experience every time I have to change it.
Yeah, I understand that. Can’t you just use the same SSID and WiFi password for a new mesh system? That’s what I did when I installed my Asus XT8s. When I switched from my old router to my new XT8s I just configured the XT8s with the same SSID I was using and the same WiFi password, all my WiFi devices just automatically connected to the new system, no muss no fuss. Granted I don’t have as many WiFi devices as you, most of my devices are hardwired and all my home automation stuff is zigbee or z-wave so they don’t connect via WiFi. Just something to consider since it sounds like the Google WiFi system is not ideal.

·
Registered
595 Posts

Clone Your Current Router for a Headache-Free Router Upgrade

·
Registered
2,568 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Can anyone here explain to me why Google Earth is not available for downloading at the Play Store app that came installed on the Nvidia Shield TV ?

The same circumstance also happens with the Play Store app that came installed on my TV's android system, a Sony XBR0940E.

I can download Google Earth to my android phone and to my Windows 10 desktop computer using the Play Store app but it is not available at the Nvidia Shield TV's Play Store nor at my Sony TV's Play Store.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Can anyone here explain to me why Google Earth is not available for downloading at the Play Store app that came installed on the Nvidia Shield TV ?

The same circumstance also happens with the Play Store app that came installed on my TV's android system, a Sony XBR0940E.

I can download Google Earth to my android phone and to my Windows 10 desktop computer using the Play Store app but it is not available at the Nvidia Shield TV's Play Store nor at my Sony TV's Play Store.
There are some strange times that an app is not available for the Shield, and it really doesn't seem to make sense. However, for Google Earth it doesn't seem like controlling it with a Shield remote would be very successful. Sure, you could pair a keyboard and mouse to the Shield and use it that way. But most users don't do that. Perhaps they simply don't want to mess with user complaints about its usability on the Shield. Probably easier to just cast GE from a computer or device to the Shield.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Wish Apple TV+ was available on the Shield.

I do have access to it on my PS5, X1X, Firestick 4K, and MBP.

But, AFAIK, the apps on those devices lack support for Dolby Atmos, which is why I wish my Shield had it.

·
Registered
394 Posts

Not every Android app is also available on Android TV. Developers have to make some adjustments, so apps can be controlled with a remote. So a lot of apps don’t have an Android TV version available. And sometimes some Android TV apps are also locked to certain devices, for example the Prime Video app was exclusive to Sony TVs for quite some time in the past. But as far as I know there is no TV version of Google Earth at all.

But if you don’t mind controlling apps with a mouse and/or keyboard, you can sideload apps on your Shield. In that case you have to download the APK file of the app on sites like apkpure.com, copy it to the Shield and then install it manually. There are plenty of videos on YouTube explaining in detail how to sideload apps on Android TV devices.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Not every Android app is also available on Android TV. Developers have to make some adjustments, so apps can be controlled with a remote. So a lot of apps don’t have an Android TV version available. And sometimes some Android TV apps are also locked to certain devices, for example the Prime Video app was exclusive to Sony TVs for quite some time in the past. But as far as I know there is no TV version of Google Earth at all.

But if you don’t mind controlling apps with a mouse and/or keyboard, you can sideload apps on your Shield. In that case you have to download the APK file of the app on sites like apkpure.com, copy it to the Shield and then install it manually. There are plenty of videos on YouTube explaining in detail how to sideload apps on Android TV devices.
what I really don't like is the inconsistency in button presses between apps. some don't exit the same as others, back button doesn't always work the same way, etc....

·
Registered
394 Posts
what I really don't like is the inconsistency in button presses between apps. some don't exit the same as others, back button doesn't always work the same way, etc....
Yes ... I agree. I skip a lot, and apps have different ways to do that. And then some will skip 10sec, some 15 or even 30sec. To avoid things like this, Google could make some design guidelines and then deny the release of every app that doesn’t follow them. But even Apple isn’t so restrictive in this. So their existing guidelines are only recommendations. And apps stay an inconsistent mess. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does anyone know why I can't find the AT&T TV app in the Google Playstore app on my Shield?

EDIT: Ok, I found the app in Aptoide TV but when I try to connect it says "NetCoonectionError but network connectivity exists with network type ETHERNET". When I hit OK (the only option) it just goes back to the login screen.

·
Registered
292 Posts
@halcour...I am a grandfathered subscriber to AT&T TV NOW (originally Direct TV NOW) for 2 3/4 yrs and this service had never been available on the Shield TV ( I own /use two 2017 units). I realize that the AT&T TV app is NOT THE SAME, however they're both AT & T.
Try what I do and side load it, they work great and I even found regular updates every 3 or 4 months through MediaFire.
As you may know, being AT&T TV app and NOT AT&T TV NOW YMMV!
I did find a U tuber that has a method for side loading successfully ( I was too), but interesting enough when I opened it the LOGO AT&T TV NOW appeared which I did not expect. The APP version seemed older but it was great:

Here is the link for simpler side loading via MediaFire and the version(s) are current. This same webpage updates automatically also: MediaFire

Goodluck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow, 60 devices, that sure is a lot. I have about 20 some devices on WiFi and this is with 6 people in my household. Granted I have hardwired through my house so that probably cuts down on quite a few devices. What kind of devices do you have on your network?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello, all. So my 2017 Shield died recently. It was weird because I had updated the latest update (don't know the exact version, but the one that was released in late 2020, possibly 8.2.1?). When the update finished and shield restarted, it got to the new version screen where it shows you all the recent changes. As I was scrolling through that screen, the Shield turned off. Whatever I do, it would not turn on again. I tried unplugging and replugging the power supply and it just wouldn't turn on. Whenever I plug the power supply in, I can hear a very faint buzz of 1 second duration.

Has anybody had this happened to them on the board? And does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do? Unfortunately it's out of warranty so I may actually have to think about upgrading or switching to another.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hello, all. So my 2017 Shield died recently. It was weird because I had updated the latest update (don't know the exact version, but the one that was released in late 2020, possibly 8.2.1?). When the update finished and shield restarted, it got to the new version screen where it shows you all the recent changes. As I was scrolling through that screen, the Shield turned off. Whatever I do, it would not turn on again. I tried unplugging and replugging the power supply and it just wouldn't turn on. Whenever I plug the power supply in, I can hear a very faint buzz of 1 second duration.

Has anybody had this happened to them on the board? And does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do? Unfortunately it's out of warranty so I may actually have to think about upgrading or switching to another.
It could be your power supply that went out because you mention the buzzing which is a documented issue. I'd reach out to Nvidia and see if they'll send a replacement plug to see if that fixes the problem. NVIDIA Customer Support

·
Registered
48 Posts
@halcour...I am a grandfathered subscriber to AT&T TV NOW (originally Direct TV NOW) for 2 3/4 yrs and this service had never been available on the Shield TV ( I own /use two 2017 units). I realize that the AT&T TV app is NOT THE SAME, however they're both AT & T.
Try what I do and side load it, they work great and I even found regular updates every 3 or 4 months through MediaFire.
As you may know, being AT&T TV app and NOT AT&T TV NOW YMMV!
I did find a U tuber that has a method for side loading successfully ( I was too), but interesting enough when I opened it the LOGO AT&T TV NOW appeared which I did not expect. The APP version seemed older but it was great:

Here is the link for simpler side loading via MediaFire and the version(s) are current. This same webpage updates automatically also: MediaFire

Goodluck!
Thanks much for all the info. I will get on it.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Wow, 60 devices, that sure is a lot. I have about 20 some devices on WiFi and this is with 6 people in my household. Granted I have hardwired through my house so that probably cuts down on quite a few devices. What kind of devices do you have on your network?
echoes in every room, 16 smart plugs, iphones and ipads oh my...

14841 - 14860 of 14883 Posts