·
Registered
624 Posts
Never install a patch on day one.
Thats my motto.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
How do I make sure my upscaling or processing on blu ray rips on my shield is not being handled by my shield and instead is passed through and letting my tv handle it (a much better Z9D)?

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
How do I make sure my upscaling or processing on blu ray rips on my shield is not being handled by my shield and instead is passed through and letting my tv handle it (a much better Z9D)?
Set your Shield output to match the source resolution which means you have to do it manually, e.g. switch 4K when you playback anything 4K and switch to 2K when playback 2K video.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Ok. All my stuff I use is 4K only-so match source is what I need. I just don’t want any processing/upscaling/

not sure what I should be clicking for the AI upscaling is my point. There is only AI enhanced, Enhanced (which is what’s on now) and basic.

there is no off and not sure how to let tv do all upscaling

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Upscaler is only used if you need to upscale, e.g. 2k->4K. So, if you manually set your Shield to 2K output, there will no need for any upscaling. But doing so is tedious because there is no system wide setting to match source. If you forget to set back to 4K, all your streaming services will only send you 2K streams.

Anytime your source and output resolution don't match, Shield will need to use its scaler.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I am not seeing where to set this manually or turn this off. This is the only option on the screen (pic below). Can you tell me what I need to pick for the tv to do all upscaling and not the shield

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I am not seeing where to set this manually or turn this off. This is the only option on the screen (pic below). Can you tell me what I need to pick for the tv to do all upscaling and not the shield View attachment 3108012 View attachment 3108013 View attachment 3108014 View attachment 3108015
The "Basic" setting disables AI Upscaling.

Absolutely everything you watch on the Shield will be output at the resolution you have selected in the Device Settings -> Display & Sound menu...except...if you use resolution and frame-rate matching in Plex or Kodi...and/or if you use the 3rd party Refresh Rate app and set it up correctly.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Ok thanks-I’m with you so far. So I want to put in on basic. Then in Plex (which I use) can you tell me what setting exactly I should disable or enable to let it pass through to tv scaling to complete this process?

thanks again!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Ok thanks-I’m with you so far. So I want to put in on basic. Then in Plex (which I use) can you tell me what setting exactly I should disable or enable to let it pass through to tv scaling to complete this process?

thanks again!
From the frontpage of the Plex app, enter the settings via the gear icon at the bottom of the sidebar. The last row of settings at the bottom before the "About" icon include "Refresh Rate Switching" and "Resolution Switching."

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Ok. And which should I turn on or turn off in order to let my Z9D (tv) DJ the upscaling and the plex leave things alone?

I’m guessing that’s the best route if you have a really good tv that would better upscale...

·
Registered
2,880 Posts

thanks again!
No. Never basic. That is the worst upscaling algorithm. A lot of the cheaper streaming devices only do basic. You either want enhanced or AI. I recommend you fool around with your AI low default and high settings and compare that Enhanced.

What others have said, Since you have your shield set to output 4K., your upscaling will only happen when outputting 2K source as 4K.

Ok. And which should I turn on or turn off in order to let my Z9D (tv) DJ the upscaling and the plex leave things alone?

I’m guessing that’s the best route if you have a really good tv that would better upscale...
As long as your display is it better upscaler then then shield, then this is your best route for local content only. Setting you're a Plex to match resolution and frame rate... and then your TV will upscale the resolution Since plex is smart enough to override the frame rate and resolution settings that you're shield is set to.

-T

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
4,270 Posts

Let the Shield do the upscaling. I have the same video processor in my Sony as your Z9D and I found both the Shield and ATV4K do as good or better upscaling than our TV’s do. Simple is better too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
No. Never basic. That is the worst upscaling algorithm. A lot of the cheaper streaming devices only do basic. You either want enhanced or AI. I recommend you fool around with your AI low default and high settings and compare that Enhanced.

What others have said, Since you have your shield set to output 4K., your upscaling will only happen when outputting 2K source as 4K.

As long as your display is it better upscaler then then shield, then this is your best route for local content only. Setting you're a Plex to match resolution and frame rate... and then your TV will upscale the resolution Since plex is smart enough to override the frame rate and resolution settings that you're shield is set to.

-T
Thanks but I don’t necessarily want basic-I want upscaling OFF so my tv (which is superior in upscaling -Sony Z9D) to do all the upscaling.

Isn’t there a way to let the signal from plex and the shield pass bitstream or untouched as it’s known that having a blu ray player or streaming the device alter the signal BEFORE. A tv does the same is not recommended...

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Let the Shield do the upscaling. I have the same video processor in my Sony as your Z9D and I found both the Shield and ATV4K do as good or better upscaling than our TV’s do. Simple is better too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ok, in that case how would I make sure my Z9D isn’t being redundant and also upscaling, how would I turn the upscaling OFF on the Z9D...just don’t want BOTH to upscale.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Ok, in that case how would I make sure my Z9D isn’t being redundant and also upscaling, how would I turn the upscaling OFF on the Z9D...just don’t want BOTH to upscale.
It won’t. If you have the Shield set at 4K the TV can’t upscale any more than that. You’re good.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
No. Never basic. That is the worst upscaling algorithm.
...sigh...that isn't how this works with the Shield's implementation. The basic setting is the standard or normal setting. This is the only way to avoid having the Shield doing additional processing if you want to avoid it. It isn't an "upscaling algorithm." It is the baseline mode. Enhanced and AI are the options utilizing an upscaling algorithm.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just an FYI there is a dedicated forum for the 2019 Shield models. This forum was created for the older models and while there has been plenty of overlap between the two forums, you'll find more info related to the 2019 refresh in that forum.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
...sigh...that isn't how this works with the Shield's implementation. The basic setting is the standard or normal setting. This is the only way to avoid having the Shield doing additional processing if you want to avoid it. It isn't an "upscaling algorithm." It is the baseline mode. Enhanced and AI are the options utilizing an upscaling algorithm.
Don't sigh me.

Everything I've read basic is the nearest neighbor b***, the worst upscaling there is period because a blind man can do it. that's the bottom of the ladder that the shield should implement to convert everything to 4K output.

of course, everything I read could have been wrong. And maybe you want to cite some sources.

But you have to look at my post and it's entirety. since basic is the worst of every kind of upscaling/processing The Shield does, it should not be used. But I was also replying in my other piece that he set his Plex app to resolution and frame rate matching, so at least his Plex will output everything at 1080p because he wanted his television to upscale.

So my post in its entirety was allowing him to upscale his local content inside of his television. And not have the shield do it. Also allowing the upscaling to work with his streaming content. Or everything that's not local. I don't know anyone who wants to use the basic setting on their streaming content because it's so effing horrible.

-T
Edit:

Sure, there is no processing going on with the basic. When I replied someone else had already replied that the shield does a better job upscaling than his Sony because he had the same set as the person I was replying to. So there's some additional context which might have been lost.

14881 - 14900 of 14932 Posts