AVS Forum banner

14901 - 14920 of 14932 Posts

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Thanks but I don’t necessarily want basic-I want upscaling OFF so my tv (which is superior in upscaling -Sony Z9D) to do all the upscaling.

Isn’t there a way to let the signal from plex and the shield pass bitstream or untouched as it’s known that having a blu ray player or streaming the device alter the signal BEFORE. A tv does the same is not recommended...
I think right now you've gotten your answer. but I don't think you read my post fully.

I was telling you to put upscaling on, which was consistent with someone else in the forum who has your same display.

but I also gave you information on how to set Plex so that it outputs the native meaning your TV would upscale the Plex to your 4K.

The end result would have been Plex content would have been upscaled by your tv, and your streaming content would have been upscaled by The Shield.

I know what you're thinking. can you turn off upscaling completely. So your TV does it all. And of course you can. But it really is a non-solution. You would have to output everything from your Shield at 1080p. the problem with that is if you do stream you won't be able to stream 4K content because Shield is going to report to the streaming provider that you only have a 1080p display. Maybe you'll get HDR at 1080p, and maybe not. It all depends on the provider. Same with atmos. Some providers couple atmos and HDR to the 4K stream.

So you really have no choice but to let the shield upscale for streaming content. you can try basic and let your TV do the post processing (I have no idea if you're a display will do any post processing at all was it receives a 4K stream).

-T

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have had my Nvidia Shield (2017) version for awhile and formerly had no trouble from it. I recently upgraded projectors in Home Theater from a JVC RS500 to an RS2000. Trying to stream Netflix on my system the first time after the changeover and I would click on the Netflix button, the screen would go dark then go back to the main menu. I rebooted the Nvidia shield and no luck. I deleted cache and storage and no luck. I performed a factory reset of the Nvidia Shield and I hit pay dirt. Netflix was back and so were watching in 4k and HDR. This lasted 3 weeks.

Tonight I go down to stream and I tried to watch Amazon Prime. Amazon Prime refused to play but I didn't catch the error message. Then I went to Netflix and once again blank screen when Netflix is chosen then back to Shield Home screen. I redid everything except factor reset and Netflix wouldn't load.

I have been able to use Plex without a problem even streaming 4k features. so I know bandwidth will carry. It is a long HDMI run of about 30 feet with a Certified Cable from Monoprice. All sources run through my Denon 7200WA receiver and out of the receiver to the projector.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Well, actually today, Netflix worked on the Shield again. I didn't get to test Amazon Prime. Maybe it was an internet issue since I was able to stream my personal Mediaserver through the Shield using Plex.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I think right now you've gotten your answer. but I don't think you read my post fully.

I was telling you to put upscaling on, which was consistent with someone else in the forum who has your same display.

but I also gave you information on how to set Plex so that it outputs the native meaning your TV would upscale the Plex to your 4K.

The end result would have been Plex content would have been upscaled by your tv, and your streaming content would have been upscaled by The Shield.

I know what you're thinking. can you turn off upscaling completely. So your TV does it all. And of course you can. But it really is a non-solution. You would have to output everything from your Shield at 1080p. the problem with that is if you do stream you won't be able to stream 4K content because Shield is going to report to the streaming provider that you only have a 1080p display. Maybe you'll get HDR at 1080p, and maybe not. It all depends on the provider. Same with atmos. Some providers couple atmos and HDR to the 4K stream.

So you really have no choice but to let the shield upscale for streaming content. you can try basic and let your TV do the post processing (I have no idea if you're a display will do any post processing at all was it receives a 4K stream).

-T
thank you for the time and explanation.

in my case I’m avoiding streaming from my shield (use Apple TV for that). Literally I only use my shield for mostly 4K (only a few regular blu ray) rips. Just want then looking as good as my setup allows

thanks again

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello, all. So my 2017 Shield died recently. It was weird because I had updated the latest update (don't know the exact version, but the one that was released in late 2020, possibly 8.2.1?). When the update finished and shield restarted, it got to the new version screen where it shows you all the recent changes. As I was scrolling through that screen, the Shield turned off. Whatever I do, it would not turn on again. I tried unplugging and replugging the power supply and it just wouldn't turn on. Whenever I plug the power supply in, I can hear a very faint buzz of 1 second duration.

Has anybody had this happened to them on the board? And does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do? Unfortunately it's out of warranty so I may actually have to think about upgrading or switching to another.
Hello, all. Just wanted to let people know what happened with my Shield TV. I opened up a chat for NVIDIA customer support, told them about the story of how the update bricked my shield, etc. They asked me to do some light troubleshooting like unplugging and replugging the power. I told them I had done that and I also swapped another shield's good power cord with it. The rep asked for the serial number of my Shield, asked for a purchase receipt (which I printed to PDF online), and then asked for a photo of the box the Shield came in. I did not know this, but apparently the part number is only found on the box, so don't throw your box away if you haven't yet.

In any case, the service rep sent me a label for RMA, and I shipped my Shield TV back, and now a replacement is on its way. It's been more than 3 years since I bought this so the warranty has long expired, but they still gave me a replacement and I didn't have to push for it at all.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with NVIDIA shield and will buy a new one when the next version comes out.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Shields do not support vp9 profile 2, never have, which is needed for YT HDR. A well known limitation.
And will slowly be a non-issue as YouTube transitions to a different codec. AV1 if I recall correctly?

Reactions: groove93

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
And will slowly be a non-issue as YouTube transitions to a different codec. AV1 if I recall correctly?
Correct.

Either way, the HDR content on YouTube is extremely limited. Most of it consists of fake HDR that has been applied to movie trailers or game trailers by random people with YouTube channels. The vast majority of the legitimate HDR content is old-ish and very little new content comes out. You can run through the stuff worth seeing in a single day and then you might be waiting weeks or months for anything else you may like.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Apparently VERY SLOWLY since we have been hearing that for almost 2 years. I mean I get it, Nvidia didn't want to make any real significant change when they intro'd the 2019 models. No biggie for me, I have cheap arse FireTV devices that support vp9 p2....LOL

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Correct.

Either way, the HDR content on YouTube is extremely limited. Most of it consists of fake HDR that has been applied to movie trailers or game trailers by random people with YouTube channels. The vast majority of the legitimate HDR content is old-ish and very little new content comes out. You can run through the stuff worth seeing in a single day and then you might be waiting weeks or months for anything else you may like.
Actually some of it is pretty good. No biggie for me, in addition to my Shields I have cheap arse FireTV devices that support vp9 p2....LOL

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Apparently VERY SLOWLY since we have been hearing that for almost 2 years. I mean I get it, Nvidia didn't want to make any real significant change when they intro'd the 2019 models. No biggie for me, I have cheap arse FireTV devices that support vp9 p2....LOL
There was an attempt to use a software decoder for a short while. It worked fine on 1080/60 and 2160/30 content, but with 2160/60 it would freeze, black screen, or sometimes continue to play with no video. They yanked it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Yep, that lasted about 2 days. I've been curious about Server-Side HDR for Youtube when it comes to your internet Speed. With my Chromecast with Google TV, I would struggle to stream [email protected] with my 25Mbps connection. Now with a 105Mbps connection, those same videos play with no issues at all. Of course this device has VP9 Profile 2 already, so the hardware is already there, compared to a 5 year old SOC still being used with the Shield.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
My Roku players support YT HDR, and I've never had an issue with it from there or any other online provider. My DSL speed used to be around 80, and now it's 108 Mbps. Wish my upload speed wasn't so slow though. I'm going to start traveling again next month, and I like using Plex to watch my own media at the hotel. I have to limit Plex to about 8 Mbps to play something remotely.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I'm still stuck at a 2 meg upload speed. With my 2015 Shield now acting as a Plex Media Server, I can transcode my videos down to 720p, but I'm prepared for pauses while watching anything UHD. Other than that, 1080p Rips and below play fine at 720. This configuration far outperforms my Freenas BSD version of Plex Media Server.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I didn't say it wasn't good. I said there is very, very little of it.
And I didn’t say there was lots of it. Lots/little, good/bad, vp9 p2 being replaced sometime in the near/far future...not really the point though anyway. IMO Nvidia should have added support in the 2019 redesign but they didn’t want to spend the $ to add it into the HW which is where it needs to be...but that horse has certainly been beaten to death here many times....🤣

·
Registered
182 Posts
When watching soccer on NBC Sports its gets choppy as hell, is this some sort of frame rate issue? No other sports streams give me this issue, also this doesn't occur if I watch the same NBC Sport soccer stream on Roku for example using the same display. Curious to know what it is, thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thinking about picking up a used shield 2015 500gb, I mainly use it for streaming, amazon, netflix, kodi. I have it plugged into a dolby digital plus/atmos capable receiver. Do I get this unit, or should I be looking elsewhere for something that will provide me with DD+/Atmos with no issues.

thx

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
You're better just getting the 2019 Pro. The 500 Gig drive on the 2015 model is not some "added bonus".

Out the box, there's no Dolby Atmos support for Netflix and Disney Plus.
Dolby Atmos will work for Amazon Prime, and Vudu.

Via Kodi or Plex, you will enjoy the benefits of Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD/Lossless) and DTS-X (DTSMA/Lossless).

Reactions: galonzo
14901 - 14920 of 14932 Posts