AVS Forum banner

14921 - 14932 of 14932 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
You're better just getting the 2019 Pro. The 500 Gig drive on the 2015 model is not some "added bonus".

Out the box, there's no Dolby Atmos support for Netflix and Disney Plus.
Dolby Atmos will work for Amazon Prime, and Vudu.

Via Kodi or Plex, you will enjoy the benefits of Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD/Lossless) and DTS-X (DTSMA/Lossless).

So when you say out of the box no support, can it be added on somehow? I thought for $70 it was going to be a good deal, but now the firestick 4k is sounding better.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
In order to get Netflix and Disney Plus with Dolby Atmos on a 2015 Shield, you will need to run the Netflix and the Disney Plus Add-ons for Kodi. Google those addons for instructions on how to add them. It's not a guaranteed that they will work.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
So when you say out of the box no support, can it be added on somehow? I thought for $70 it was going to be a good deal, but now the firestick 4k is sounding better.
If you want lossless audio bitstreaming from discs you've ripped, you don't want a Firestick or Roku. The Shield is the only one that supports that. At least for under $200.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I'm having a bit of an issue with getting SPMC or KODI to work right with drives attached to my PC.

Originally, I had everything in a theater, all hard-wired, with the drives attached to a Zappiti. Everything worked great on the Shield. Then I moved, went wireless, and the Zappiti has decided it doesn't want to share anything from the attached drives. So, I decided to try and attach the drives to my PC and use that as my server instead.

After some tinkering, I have got it so that I can mount my PC as external storage on the Zappiti. When I go to videos on SPMC, it lists the drives I'm sharing from the PC. So, I can explore the drive and play the files from there. However, what I can't do is add any of the folders as a source for my movie or TV collections. So, I can't add them to my poster wall. If I try to add a new directory, I can't location the shared drives. SMB is blank. Everything is blank except for the actual Shield storage. This is true on KODI as well. And, on KODI, the drives don't even show up in the "Video" section like they do on SPMC.

Is there some trick to doing this with a Windows 10 PC? SMB is enabled on the PC.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the HBO Max app for the latest model of the nvidia shield support streaming in Dolby Vision and atmos ? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I'm having a bit of an issue with getting SPMC or KODI to work right with drives attached to my PC.

Originally, I had everything in a theater, all hard-wired, with the drives attached to a Zappiti. Everything worked great on the Shield. Then I moved, went wireless, and the Zappiti has decided it doesn't want to share anything from the attached drives. So, I decided to try and attach the drives to my PC and use that as my server instead.

After some tinkering, I have got it so that I can mount my PC as external storage on the Zappiti. When I go to videos on SPMC, it lists the drives I'm sharing from the PC. So, I can explore the drive and play the files from there. However, what I can't do is add any of the folders as a source for my movie or TV collections. So, I can't add them to my poster wall. If I try to add a new directory, I can't location the shared drives. SMB is blank. Everything is blank except for the actual Shield storage. This is true on KODI as well. And, on KODI, the drives don't even show up in the "Video" section like they do on SPMC.

Is there some trick to doing this with a Windows 10 PC? SMB is enabled on the PC.
This seems unnecessarily messy and complicated. I'm sure you have your reasons for it though. I would just run a Plex server on the PC. Even if you want to use Kodi, you can just use the PKC (plexkodiconnect) add-on and still have the full Kodi experience. PKC basically just allows you to use Plex as a source. That would be much, much easier. It also makes the process of accessing your content from multiple streaming devices extremely simple. Managing your content via Plex is also a much more pleasant experience.

You could also use the Plex add-on within Kodi, but I prefer the PKC approach.

Maybe you have reasons for not doing it. I would just recommend a Plex backend with either a Kodi or Plex frontend.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the HBO Max app for the latest model of the nvidia shield support streaming in Dolby Vision and atmos ? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Yes it does. But there is very little on HBO Max that does DV and Atmos.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
This seems unnecessarily messy and complicated. I'm sure you have your reasons for it though. I would just run a Plex server on the PC. Even if you want to use Kodi, you can just use the PKC (plexkodiconnect) add-on and still have the full Kodi experience. PKC basically just allows you to use Plex as a source. That would be much, much easier. It also makes the process of accessing your content from multiple streaming devices extremely simple. Managing your content via Plex is also a much more pleasant experience.

Maybe you have reasons for not doing it. I would just recommend a Plex backend with either a Kodi or Plex frontend.
Totally agree. Either use your PC as a server, or get a NAS and be done with it.

If you want to run a Plex Server, so be it, though you'd really need a reason to do so in this day and age (transcoding to different devices).

Simply using a NAS directly to Kodi works perfectly, even with multiple Shields.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Totally agree. Either use your PC as a server, or get a NAS and be done with it.

If you want to run a Plex Server, so be it, though you'd really need a reason to do so in this day and age (transcoding to different devices).

Simply using a NAS directly to Kodi works perfectly, even with multiple Shields.
For me the advantage of a Plex server as a backend is media management and that my progress through shows and movies is synced between all the devices. Plus, profiles are dead simple.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts

From what I see of Plex, I don't see how it's any less complicated that what I'm trying (it's just what I'm trying is not working like I think it should).

And, it looks like Plex doesn't handle blu-ray folder structure (or ISO)? That's kind of a deal breaker.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
For me the advantage of a Plex server as a backend is media management and that my progress through shows and movies is synced between all the devices. Plus, profiles are dead simple.
You can sync show/movie progress across multiple instances of Kodi on different devices using Trakt. That’s what I use. I do use Plex also. I run my PMS on one of my Shields (Shields make great PMSs BTW). But I use Plex for a different reason. All my media files (movies/shows/music) are on my Synology NAS where I run MariaDB to share all my Kodi metadata across my multiple Kodi instances.

14921 - 14932 of 14932 Posts