AVS Forum banner

Nvidia Shield TV 2019

2M views 20K replies 956 participants last post by  KingNothing81 
#1 · (Edited)
NVIDIA Shield Android TV set-top box Tegra X1+ (2019)

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Shield.../dp/B07YP9FBMM

Ships end of the month. Hopefully the dongle comes next!

• The Best of the Best. Up to 25% faster than the previous generation thanks to the new NVIDIA Tegra X1+ chip. Enhance HD video in real-time to 4K for clearer, crisper visuals using next-generation AI upscaling. 2x USB 3.0 ports for storage expansion, USB cameras, keyboards, controllers, and more. Plex Media Server built-in, SmartThings hub-ready, AAA Android gaming, Twitch broadcasting, 3GB RAM, and 16GB storage.
  • Dolby Vision - Atmos. Bring your home theater to life with Dolby Vision HDR, and surround sound with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital Plus—delivering ultra-vivid picture quality and immersive audio.
  • Best-In-Class Design. Designed for the most demanding users and beautifully designed to be the perfect centerpiece of your entertainment center, SHIELD TV Pro levels you up to more storage space, the expandability of 2x USB 3.0 ports, Plex Media Server, and premium Android gaming. Get the best connectivity with Gigabit Ethernet, dual-band AC Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 5.0. The all-new remote is more advanced than ever with motion-activated, backlit buttons—including a customizable menu button. Plus, with voice control, Bluetooth, IR control for your TV, and a built-in remote control locator, you have the most advanced remote yet.
  • Unlimited Entertainment. Enjoy the most 4K HDR content of any streaming media player, and access to thousands of apps and games, including top apps like Netflix,YouTube, Prime Video and Hulu. Listen from the most comprehensive collection of music services, including Amazon Music and Spotify. Add a game controller (sold separately) and play today’s most popular games like Fortnite. Even stream from your phone with built-in Chromecast 4K.
  • Voice Control. The built-in Google Assistant is at your command. See photos, live camera feeds, weather, sports scores, and more on the big screen. Dim the lights and immerse yourself in your favorite show or music using only your voice. And control your SHIELD hands-free with Google Home or Alexa and Amazon Echo.

edit: Amazon pulled the listing. Some screens here https://www.androidcentral.com/nvid...nounced-shield-refresh-goes-live-early-amazon

edit2: New dongle just leaked on newegg. https://www.newegg.ca/black-nvidia-...ld&cm_re=nvidia_shield-_-15-351-018-_-Product

Pro Model:

Smaller dongle model:

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Shield.../dp/B07YP9FBMM

Ships end of the month. Hopefully the dongle comes next!

• The Best of the Best. Up to 25% faster than the previous generation thanks to the new NVIDIA Tegra X1+ chip. Enhance HD video in real-time to 4K for clearer, crisper visuals using next-generation AI upscaling. 2x USB 3.0 ports for storage expansion, USB cameras, keyboards, controllers, and more. Plex Media Server built-in, SmartThings hub-ready, AAA Android gaming, Twitch broadcasting, 3GB RAM, and 16GB storage.

• Dolby Vision - Atmos. Bring your home theater to life with Dolby Vision HDR, and surround sound with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital Plus—delivering ultra-vivid picture quality and immersive audio.

• Best-In-Class Design. Designed for the most demanding users and beautifully designed to be the perfect centerpiece of your entertainment center, SHIELD TV Pro levels you up to more storage space, the expandability of 2x USB 3.0 ports, Plex Media Server, and premium Android gaming. Get the best connectivity with Gigabit Ethernet, dual-band AC Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 5.0. The all-new remote is more advanced than ever with motion-activated, backlit buttons—including a customizable menu button. Plus, with voice control, Bluetooth, IR control for your TV, and a built-in remote control locator, you have the most advanced remote yet.

• Unlimited Entertainment. Enjoy the most 4K HDR content of any streaming media player, and access to thousands of apps and games, including top apps like Netflix,YouTube, Prime Video and Hulu. Listen from the most comprehensive collection of music services, including Amazon Music and Spotify. Add a game controller (sold separately) and play today’s most popular games like Fortnite. Even stream from your phone with built-in Chromecast 4K.

• Voice Control. The built-in Google Assistant is at your command. See photos, live camera feeds, weather, sports scores, and more on the big screen. Dim the lights and immerse yourself in your favorite show or music using only your voice. And control your SHIELD hands-free with Google Home or Alexa and Amazon Echo.

edit: Amazon pulled the listing. Some screens here https://www.androidcentral.com/nvid...nounced-shield-refresh-goes-live-early-amazon

Nice! What is meant by “That triangular shape, though? We'll just have to see about that.” Looks like the same rectangular shape as now to me unless the holder/base is throwing people off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 ·
#10 ·
Ughh. 200 bucks... But that remote....hopefully much better than the slim one. I loathe the current one

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What are 'motion-activated' buttons?
I would still like to use my IR TV remote to control the Shield without using HDMI CEC, but there's no mention of an IR receiver on the base unit.
I will never use the Harmony Hub.
This remote will be more useful, but will probably sit in a drawer with the others while I use the TV's remote.

#11 · (Edited)
What are 'motion-activated' buttons?
I would still like to use my IR TV remote to control the Shield without using HDMI CEC, but there's no mention of an IR receiver on the base unit.
I will never use the Harmony Hub.
This remote will be more useful, but will probably sit in a drawer with the others while I use the TV's remote.

It means the buttons light up when you pick up the remote.

#12 ·
Look at the top of it, it's profile is triangular, not the lengthwise shape of the device.

This image shows it better:

Okay. I thought you guys were talking about the device not the remote. I use my Harmony Elite anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
This is 2019!!! It should have:

1. HDMI 2.1
2. USB 3.2
3. Ethernet 2.5Gbps
4. Wifi 6 (802.11ax)
5. Bluetooth Class 5

#14 ·
This is 2019!!! It should have:

1. HDMI 2.1
2. USB 3.2
3. Ethernet 2.5Gbps
4. Wifi 6 (802.11ax)
5. Bluetooth Class 5

And it should cost $400. Even at $200 I see no advantages of this to using my TV's Android TV interface. If I had an AVR that decoded HD audio, it would be another story, but I don't.
I used to be excited by the Shield until I got my TV and it was upgraded to Oreo.

#18 ·
Why is a new thread necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
People that don't follow the current shield are not going to know a couple new ones are launching without a new thread title. Why does it bother you? It will eventually bury and the main thread will stay alive like always

#20 ·
I'll wait and look for reviews of the new one before making a decision. The last released Shield had "soft" PQ compared to the ATV4K and ROKU Ultra in my visual testing. Sold it but always on the outlook for a great streamer that checks all my needs.
Gerry