AVS Forum banner

2221 - 2240 of 5839 Posts

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I would Atmos support to your list of reasons to upgrade.

I get Atmos from my ATV4K too just not for local streaming and it’s mat 2.0 not bit perfect like the Shield, still sounds great though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don’t know but even if it did it would only be a marginal improvement. I wouldn’t recommend spending $200 just for that. The number one new feature the Shield has is Dolby Vision, followed by increased speed and lastly AI. You need a 4K display to get the most out of it.
I use the Shield for streaming. I have a 2019 for my 4K TV. The projector has an older Shield for streaming. I could swap the Shields for the super bowl. The 720p to 1080p processing normally done by Madvr makes a big difference in the quality of the picture. Unfortunately, various other technical difficulties are making that not look so possible. Maybe the FS1 app will magically stream in 1080p and there will be no conversion needed...

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I don’️t know but even if it did it would only be a marginal improvement. I wouldn’️t recommend spending $200 just for that. The number one new feature the Shield has is Dolby Vision, followed by increased speed and lastly AI. You need a 4K display to get the most out of it.

I use the Shield for streaming. I have a 2019 for my 4K TV. The projector has an older Shield for streaming. I could swap the Shields for the super bowl. The 720p to 1080p processing normally done by Madvr makes a big difference in the quality of the picture. Unfortunately, various other technical difficulties are making that not look so possible. Maybe the FS1 app will magically stream in 1080p and there will be no conversion needed...
Sports normally streams at 60 fps, AI only works on 30 and lower.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Got it, too bad. I guess I'll hope that the game streams already in 1080p60.

Probably but even better. I read they will also be offering a 4K stream (well upscaled 1080 stream) plus HDR. We will see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
871 Posts
Except Disney+ does not have Atmos via the Shield.
I share your frustration. In fact, see my post in this very thread complaining about this just the other day. That said, I still believe my point stands. The newest version of the Shield DOES support Atmos in Netflix and some other apps, thus making it one of several reason to consider upgrading from an earlier version of the Shield.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The video quality of my new Shield PRO is a big step up from my WDTV on top of many other great feature such as lightning fast navigation etc.

Anyone know if there will be an AppleTV app rolling out soon to access our Apple library?

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
I share your frustration.
IF my Sony UBP-X1000 should ever get more apps and Atmos for streaming then my Shield Pro 2019 and Roku Ultra 2019 will show up on eBay. Not likely to happen so here I am :(.

Other things I dislike about the Shield, no IR input, real limited number of keys with Flirc or USB IR receiver. No original frame rate out. No split HDMI outs (1 HDMI for video and 1 HDMI for audio). Limited Nvidia documentation on Shield.

For Netflix data rate, resolution, etc. I found the F4 or F8 keyboard keys work for this. Does nothing for Amazon, Vudu, Disney+.

Since I have a Oppo UDP-203 I have not looked into using the Sheild as a media player so I can't comment there.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I don't believe Apple and Android are the best of buddies ;)

I may be wrong but I believe Apple TV has an app on my Roku Ultra 2019.
And on Samsung TVs believe it or not, Apple's sworn enemy for phones...

Reactions: Salty01 and galonzo

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
IF my Sony UBP-X1000 should ever get more apps and Atmos for streaming then my Shield Pro 2019 and Roku Ultra 2019 will show up on eBay. Not likely to happen so here I am :(.

Other things I dislike about the Shield, no IR input, real limited number of keys with Flirc or USB IR receiver. No original frame rate out. No split HDMI outs (1 HDMI for video and 1 HDMI for audio). Limited Nvidia documentation on Shield.

For Netflix data rate, resolution, etc. I found the F4 or F8 keyboard keys work for this. Does nothing for Amazon, Vudu, Disney+.

Since I have a Oppo UDP-203 I have not looked into using the Sheild as a media player so I can't comment there.

Thanks for the info on F4/F8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,080 Posts

So the Shield doesn't do Prime, Vudu or Disney+? I have a Roku Ultra 4k and was thinking of getting the Shield, because it seems more powerful and I like the Google interface with it.

In like the Roku Ultra 4K for streaming then my Fire Cube. The Cube is slow. I have Google Fiber so I have a pretty fast internet speed.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
So the Shield doesn't do Prime, Vudu or Disney+? I have a Roku Ultra 4k and was thinking of getting the Shield, because it seems more powerful and I like the Google interface with it.

In like the Roku Ultra 4K for streaming then my Fire Cube. The Cube is slow. I have Google Fiber so I have a pretty fast internet speed.
The Shield does Prime Video, Vudu and Disney+ just fine. There are some limitations, in that D+ doesn't yet have Atmos on the Shield. And I believe the other person was referencing the lack of framerate matching with some apps. The majority of my Shield use is with Kodi, which does do framerate and resolution matching, so I'm not certain which of these were the issue.

Reactions: ynnek63 and jsgrise

·
Premium Member
35,387 Posts

Once it's set up, which does take a few minutes and several menus switches, the third party Refresh Rate app works pretty well for getting native frame rate output. As Nvidia has already stated they're not going to implement native frame rate switching beyond that kludgy beta button they've already provided the Refresh Rate app is the way to go in my opinion.

-

Can that F4/F8 Netflix info button trick be implemented on the factory remote somehow or does it require a third party keyboard connection?

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Sorry, I don't know much about the factory remote and what it can or can not do. I use a URC MX-980 (discontinued, replaced with MX-990) for all items in the home theater. I use the [URL="https://flirc.tv/more/flirc-usb"]USB Flirc to control the Shield. The Flirc was programed using the NVIDIA Shield GEN2 in the Controllers, the F4 was added using the Full Keyboard and the Power button was added from the Media Keys. Power is supposed to put unit into sleep mode. Note: the Netflix shortcut button does not work using using the Flirc.

I found the F4/F8 by plugging in a wired keyboard then a wireless keyboard. Both seemed to work fine. The wireless is a Logitech KB and mouse combo, and yes, the mouse did work.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Once it's set up, which does take a few minutes and several menus switches, the third party Refresh Rate app works pretty well for getting native frame rate output. As Nvidia has already stated they're not going to implement native frame rate switching beyond that kludgy beta button they've already provided the Refresh Rate app is the way to go in my opinion.

-

Can that F4/F8 Netflix info button trick be implemented on the factory remote somehow or does it require a third party keyboard connection?
I used the F4/F8 command from @Wendell R. Breland mapped to an unused button on a Harmony Elite hub-based remote.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
That's what I use as well, a 950/Hub system and wanted to do exactly what you've done. I'm just curious if there's an easier way to go about it than what Walter has outlined.
It easier for us. Wendell is using a Flirc. In my case and probably yours Harmony already had all the number and “F” keys. All you have to do is map it and sync.

Reactions: Keenan

·
Premium Member
35,387 Posts
It easier for us. Wendell is using a Flirc. In my case and probably yours Harmony already had all the number and “F” keys. All you have to do is map it and sync.
That's great! Did you use the desktop app or mobile? I assume it was the mobile app.

2221 - 2240 of 5839 Posts