AVS Forum banner

2401 - 2420 of 5880 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Works for me. Even Ground Hog Day switches into DV mode on the LG and ATMOS on the Onkyo. Maybe they just haven't gotten to your titles yet. Note, they are only upgrading Vudu purchased content. I do see ATMOS grey'd out for my BD digital code movies, and they still only play in HDX.
That would explain it, most of my Vudu movies are from BD digital codes.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Was trying Netflix on the shield Pro and was getting dropped frans every x amount of time anyone else getting this?

Was watching dolby vision content.

Shield is set to 23.976 and DV and even tried 59.xxx with DV and still the same. I have the refresh rate app but don't think it works with DV as it did not make a difference with it on or off.

I am on the official stable firmware and not on any of the beta firmwares.

Hopefully the new firmware is due soon but not sure if it fixes the issue.

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk

·
aka jfinnie
4,446 Posts
Was trying Netflix on the shield Pro and was getting dropped frans every x amount of time anyone else getting this?

Shield is set to 23.976 and DV and even tried 59.xxx with DV and still the same. I have the refresh rate app but don't think it works with DV as it did not make a difference with it on or off.

There is plenty of content on Netflix which is 24.000p and not 23.976p. Playing that at incorrect rate of 23.976 leads to frames being dropped every 41s. The Shield I understand can be set to correct rate, Appletv cannot. There is a list of at least some affected titles in a thread.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
There is plenty of content on Netflix which is 24.000p and not 23.976p. Playing that at incorrect rate of 23.976 leads to frames being dropped every 41s. The Shield I understand can be set to correct rate, Appletv cannot. There is a list of at least some affected titles in a thread.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Thanks for reply.

I was trying to watch "The Strangers" on UK Netflix.

In the end I got fed up and used the Netflix app on my Sony A1E Oled which worked fine but no Atmos audio.

Thanks

·
aka jfinnie
4,446 Posts
Thanks for reply.

I was trying to watch "The Strangers" on UK Netflix.

In the end I got fed up and used the Netflix app on my Sony A1E Oled which worked fine but no Atmos audio.
I'll check later, but it is likely affected as most recent Netflix stuff is. The Strangers could also be 25p as I think it is UK originated?

Anyway, precisely this sort of situation is why properly implemented auto framerate is required.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'll check later, but it is likely affected as most recent Netflix stuff is. The Strangers could also be 25p as I think it is UK originated?

Anyway, precisely this sort of situation is why properly implemented auto framerate is required.
Thank you.

Yes it is UK originated.

If i had the HD Fury I could have checked.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Yes, auto frame rate would be prefered. However, i have resorted to opening the stuff i will be watching in a browser on a pc and pressing ctrl+alt+shift+d, which will bring up a lot of info, including framerate. (But don't even get me started on shows that change framerate between seasons :O (El Casa Del Papel for instance)

·
Premium Member
35,397 Posts

"The Stranger" is a native 25.000 frame rate title so if you have your Shield set to output 23.967 then you're going to have some frame rate issues. Have you tried using the beta frame rate switch or the third party Refresh Rate app?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
"The Stranger" is a native 25.000 frame rate title so if you have your Shield set to output 23.967 then you're going to have some frame rate issues. Have you tried using the beta frame rate switch or the third party Refresh Rate app?
Hi,

I have the refresh rate app installed already and configured not sure it works with dolby vision content on Netflix as I still had the same issue with it on and off.

Is nvidia ever going to have auto refresh rate?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
35,397 Posts
Hi,

I have the refresh rate app installed already and configured not sure it works with dolby vision content on Netflix as I still had the same issue with it on and off.

Is nvidia ever going to have auto refresh rate?

Thanks

The Refresh Rate app works with Dolby Vision as well as HDR, it's dynamic range agnostic. You do have to enable the app for each streaming app. If you haven't done so already you should look through the below posting by the developer.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/297663/-apk-auto-refresh-rate-tool/

If having the app set up correctly doesn't solve the problem then you might take a look at the settings in your display.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Anyone knows why a Netflix show sometimes comes out in stereo and some other times in 5.1 although the show really is stereo only?

·
Registered
319 Posts
The Refresh Rate app works with Dolby Vision as well as HDR, it's dynamic range agnostic. You do have to enable the app for each streaming app. If you haven't done so already you should look through the below posting by the developer.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/297663/-apk-auto-refresh-rate-tool/

If having the app set up correctly doesn't solve the problem then you might take a look at the settings in your display.

I was just going to say that. I set it up yesterday and had a dickens of a time finding “network debugging” to get it working. Once I got the Shield into developer mode it was easy enough.

Also, if you want to be sure it’s working, Netflix has a collection of “test patterns” in all the different refresh rates. Just do a search and you should find them. It totally works. The default time interval is set to 5 seconds so the video will start, go black, and then come back in the correct rate. And don’t change that to anything less. It will become quite annoying when you’re looking for something and the background video starts to play.

On the flip side, I ended up totally disabling the app while I chased down a stuttering issue in Plex, my main reason for getting the Shield in the first place. So far on 2 back to back UHD rips I haven’t seen the issue again. It may or may not have anything to do with problem so I’ll keep testing it.

The refresh rate thing is something Apple was able to tackle and make work without anyone being the wiser. It’s hard to believe the Shield, or Android TV for that matter, hasn’t solved it by now. It’s completely seamless on the ATV4K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
87 Posts
The refresh rate thing is something Apple was able to tackle and make work without anyone being the wiser. It’s hard to believe the Shield, or Android TV for that matter, hasn’t solved it by now. It’s completely seamless on the ATV4K.
AFAIK Apple TV is using an old / branched version of Netflix that allows for auto frame rate switching, which Netflix no longer supports going forward, and they will no longer certify any box that attempts auto frame rate matching at a system level:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/3096760-new-nvidia-shield-tv-pro-announced-faster-soc-dolby-vision-new-remote-70.html#post59070238

·
Registered
319 Posts
AFAIK Apple TV is using an old / branched version of Netflix that allows for auto frame rate switching, which Netflix no longer supports going forward, and they will no longer certify any box that attempts auto frame rate matching at a system level:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/3096760-new-nvidia-shield-tv-pro-announced-faster-soc-dolby-vision-new-remote-70.html#post59070238

Well that doesn’t make any damn sense. Not saying it’s false just that I don’t understand why Netflix would want their customers to have issues with frame rate causing stuttering. They offer content in every conceivable frame rate for Christ’s sake!

I’ve been an Apple fan a long time and I totally believe they wouldn’t pay a fee for something. Hell, they won’t even allow audio passthrough which is why I got a Shield recently. I’ve got 20TB of files that I should be able to view as I like!

I’m hopeful that I can get that app back up and running without any ill effects. The only reason I thought it might be causing the issue is taking up too much memory or CPU at the same time as streaming an 80gb file. I’ll certainly need to figure that out if Netflix on Apple goes tits up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

Netflix 100% supports their app on the ATV4K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Netflix 100% supports their app on the ATV4K.

I don't think support is the issue it is about Netflix updating their service and Apple taking advantage of the update. If Apple wanted to utilize whatever has changed they'll loose the smoothness of the old frame rate solution. Like old Windows versions, time is always ticking on support.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I don't think support is the issue it is about Netflix updating their service and Apple taking advantage of the update. If Apple wanted to utilize whatever has changed they'll loose the smoothness of the old frame rate solution. Like old Windows versions, time is always ticking on support.

How do you know that in the case of Apple they continue to support auto frame frame switching (which is an Apple requirement) and not their service? From my perspective as an end user they are doing both.

2401 - 2420 of 5880 Posts