AVS Forum banner

2421 - 2440 of 5891 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hi,

I have the refresh rate app installed already and configured not sure it works with dolby vision content on Netflix as I still had the same issue with it on and off.

Is nvidia ever going to have auto refresh rate?

Thanks

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk
You can set the refresh rate app to display the refresh of the content playing. This should make it easier to identify what the refresh rate should be set at.
You can also set the app to open up a menu such that you can pick the correct refresh rate. The only problem is Netflix DRM doesnt like it when you do that, and you have to stop and restart the movie.

The auto change settings sometimes works, sometimes doesnt.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
I believe it's simply that Netflix (and device manufacturers) get more complaints about "black flashing screens" than they do about mismatched frame / refresh rates.

Agreed. I would assume 99% of tht population doesn't have a clue about frame rates. They just want smooth transitions with know big pauses all tht time.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I believe it's simply that Netflix (and device manufacturers) get more complaints about "black flashing screens" than they do about mismatched frame / refresh rates.
I recall reading about a similar scenario regarding the Shield from one of the developers on the Nvidia Forums. For someone not understanding why the display is blanking out during transitions between, Refresh Rate, and Display Resolution, that's probably a headache Nvidia does not want to deal with, even if they explain the reasoning behind this action.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
They had the same issue on Roku devices, so Roku disabled framerate matching for Netflix completely. Far more complaints about the flashing screen. Although there's lots of screaming about no rate matching now.

Reactions: 3DSammy

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
They had the same issue on Roku devices, so Roku disabled framerate matching for Netflix completely. Far more complaints about the flashing screen. Although there's lots of screaming about no rate matching now.
Rokus, Fire Sticks, and Apple TVs are far more Mainstream than the Shield, so I can imagine the complaints coming from folks with those devices that simply do not understand nor care what is happening in the background regarding video playback.

Explaining to someone about framerate matching, Aspect ratio (that ole black bars conversation), and Display Resolution to the average Joe is enough of a task already.

Reactions: galonzo and 3DSammy

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is why you make the Netflix app work like it does now by default. Then under settings you put an advanced menu with disclaimers about screen going blank at the beginning of playback.

It would be great to have advanced settings that let you disable trailers, disable auto play, enable frame rate switching, and enable resolution switching. They could even require the account password to get into this menu, so that unwitting couldn't accidentally tamper with it.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
This is why you make the Netflix app work like it does now by default. Then under settings you put an advanced menu with disclaimers about screen going blank at the beginning of playback.

It would be great to have advanced settings that let you disable trailers, disable auto play, enable frame rate switching, and enable resolution switching. They could even require the account password to get into this menu, so that unwitting couldn't accidentally tamper with it.

Screen shouldn’t blank, frame rate and resolution switching should seamlessly happen without options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Screen shouldn’t blank, frame rate and resolution switching should seamlessly happen without options.

Would be nice. But currently the screen had to refresh when it gets a new resolution/refresh rate.

I personally don't see much of a difference and find the pause more annoying. Been dealing with 3:2 pulldoy all my life. Used to it.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Would be nice. But currently the screen had to refresh when it gets a new resolution/refresh rate.

I personally don't see much of a difference and find the pause more annoying. Been dealing with 3:2 pulldoy all my life. Used to it.
Maybe it depends on the combination of Player and TV. My Sony Display blanks out when adjusting for resolution, refresh rate, and HDR for both the Shield and Oppo 203.

With 24p(sync) enabled on my display, the TV needs to change its Display Mode as well. With this disabled, the display stays at 60Hz and does not change the refresh rate automatically.

With the Oppo 203, the transition is a bit faster with these changes, but not by much.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
177 Posts

Screen blanking depends on the screen, this isn't something Netflix controls. My TV blinks when switching frame rate and/or resolution, my projector goes blank for a few seconds when it switches.

·
aka jfinnie
4,451 Posts
I think that is a big part of the issue. In the biggest markets NTSC was king and several generations have grown up with the serial field abuse that is 3:2 pulldown to show Hollywood movies and filmed entertainment programmes. Anywhere in the world blessed with the PAL system just used to get a bit more free time at the end of the movie thanks to them being sped up to 25fps to fit in the PAL timing. In general it seems Europeans are much more upset by this issue, which of course was the stronghold for PAL.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Screen blanking depends on the screen, this isn't something Netflix controls. My TV blinks when switching frame rate and/or resolution, my projector goes blank for a few seconds when it switches.

I was speaking generally about the Shield where I do get screen blanking and frame rate mismatches on Netflix as well as other apps but never get it on any app on my ATV4K.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts

This only happens to me on the Shield.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
This only happens to me on the Shield.

I've never used the Atv so don't know how it does it, but most (all?) displays when the refresh rate changes do a little stall. Does the atv change refresh rate each time you switch to a new title in Netflix? Anyone know when the change actually happens?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I've never used the Atv so don't know how it does it, but most (all?) displays when the refresh rate changes do a little stall. Does the atv change refresh rate each time you switch to a new title in Netflix? Anyone know when the change actually happens?
I don’t know when it happens other than I never see it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Part of the problem with Netflix is that, the movie starts while you are in the preview area. This made it much more difficult to change refresh. No real good point where it can be done seamlessly. Cant change it while browsing titles either, 24 fps sucks for browsing.

Good news though.
Netflix just announced that it is finally letting users disable auto preview feature
https://www.engadget.com/2020/02/06/netflix-autoplay-preview-settings/

Maybe NVidia will now come up with a proper way to change refresh rate properly

·
Registered
319 Posts

However they do it it’s completely seamless. You don’t see on the pre-roll or when starting a show. It just works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2421 - 2440 of 5891 Posts