AVS Forum banner

2441 - 2460 of 5870 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Found this on Google:
Netflix now lets you turn off autoplay previews.
Go to Netflix.com in a web browser.
Sign in to your account.
Tap Manage Profiles.
Select your user profile.
Uncheck the button that says “Autoplay previews while browsing on all devices.”
Hit save.
Just did this on my profile, I'll see how it works tonight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Screen shouldn’t blank, frame rate and resolution switching should seamlessly happen without options.
Yeah, that would be great, but not possible with todays tech. Am i mistaken if i believe the VRR feature of HDMI 2.1 is supposed to do this?

·
aka jfinnie
4,440 Posts
Part of the problem with Netflix is that, the movie starts while you are in the preview area. This made it much more difficult to change refresh. No real good point where it can be done seamlessly. Cant change it while browsing titles either, 24 fps sucks for browsing.

Good news though.
Netflix just announced that it is finally letting users disable auto preview feature
https://www.engadget.com/2020/02/06/netflix-autoplay-preview-settings/

Maybe NVidia will now come up with a proper way to change refresh rate properly
There's no problem with the previews as a concept with respect to framerate switching (other than being annoying spoilers), just a problem with lazy implementations. The AppleTV implementation of framerate switching is baked into the OS in such a way that for an app to support it is very simple. You don't have to work out what rates the TV supports etc etc, you just set up when you play a piece of content whether this content should allow rate switching (default) or not, and TVOS works out the rest with respect to display capabilities and appropriate rates to switch to.

The Netflix app on TVOS fully takes advantage of this, so there are no delays, and your previews are rate converted to whatever rate the TVUI is set to, while real content is played at original rate.

A lot of platforms implement rate switching in a hacky way instead, doing it at a low level in the video playback engine instead of at a higher level with proper app support. Of course, when implemented that way there is no way to tell between if the content being played back is a preview or a title, so you end up either having rate changes every time a preview has a different rate, or no rate matching.

Anyway, it's good news that it is going to be possible to kill previews. I dislike them with a passion.

Apple did a lot right with their rate matching implementation, they just missed off almost half the rates... :rolleyes:
Video that describes how little you need to do to get frame rate matching on an AppleTV app:
https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/tech-talks/503/
Unless an app writer specifically asks for the app not to match rates, any time full screen playback is triggered the rate will switch if the HLS playlists are properly specified. The previews aren't full screen mode so they don't switch rates. Simple!

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
That's fantastic. I just shut the damn things off myself. Auto previews be gone, demons! :D

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Yeah, that would be great, but not possible with todays tech. Am i mistaken if i believe the VRR feature of HDMI 2.1 is supposed to do this?

See my post and others on this topic. Apple TV figured it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,780 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,

I am new here.
I been lurking from time to time since last year on AVS to read user experience on certain products of interest.
So much I learned from here. Thank you.

I have done the search both on Google and in this forum search engine but I could not find it.
For Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 owners :

I am thinking to use Qnap TR-004 in its USB 3.0 mode to connect to Shield TV Pro 2019.
Add WWW to qnap.com/en-us/product/tr-004
Most likely in INDIVIDUAL config or RAID 0 config.
Can Shield TV Pro 2019 recognize TR-004 in either those 2 configurations ?
Why I do not want a NAS is because it is too slow and I want to keep things as simple
as possible as I consider myself an IT dummy :mad:

I can't get Shield TV Pro 2019 yet in my country, Indonesia.
It has to be special ordered thru online shops with 3 weeks import waiting period and zero warranty.

I can get the TR-004 though, the brand has 2 local distributors.
I have asked them the same question but their tech or customers based do not use
Shield TV Pro 2019, but more for photo and video guys and no one can answer.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Hi All,

I am new here.
I been lurking from time to time since last year on AVS to read user experience on certain products of interest.

I have done the search both on Google and in this forum search engine but I could not find it.

I am thinking to use Qnap TR-004 in its USB 3.0 mode to connect to Shield TV Pro 2019.
Why I do not want a NAS is because it is too slow and I want to keep things as simple

It has to be special ordered thru online shops with 3 weeks import waiting period and zero warranty.

I have asked them the same question but their tech or customers based do not use

Thank you in advance.
It's still a NAS device, you're just using the USB connection instead of a network to access it. :)

RAID 0 gives you speed, which is something really unnecessary for streaming media. RAID 1 gives you data redundancy, at the cost of only having half the space of the two drives together. But data safety is usually a higher priority for people that take the time to rip their media. Once the NAS is configured, I'm sure the Shield will just see it as a connected storage device, regardless of it's internal configuration.

·
Registered
18,583 Posts
Hi All,

I am new here.

Thank you in advance.
A good NAS isn’t slow at all. I have a home built NAS which consists of a old mini-PC with a media sonic bay enclosure and free NAS and it maxes out my 1GB network. The newer prebuilt NAS either come with or offer expandability to 2.5/5/10GB networks.

If you only plan on using it with 1 device (ie:Shield) in your home you’re better off just getting a hard drive enclosure of some kind, either with Raid or without.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Netflix just announced that it is finally letting users disable auto preview feature
https://www.engadget.com/2020/02/06/netflix-autoplay-preview-settings/
Ha! Great timing - just as we were talking about it.

I've turned off previews, and just did some testing with Netflix using the following settings in the Refresh Rate tool:

* Advanced settings -> Automatic Change Delay = 0 seconds
* Netflix app -> Match content frame rate = On
* Netflix app -> Default switching = Off
* Netflix app -> Startup display mode = System default

...and using the following shows:

* The Toys That Made Us (23.976 fps)
* The Witcher (24 fps)
* The Crown (25 fps)
* Doomsday Preppers (29.97 fps)
* Test Patterns - https://www.netflix.com/title/80018499

Works well, and you could minimise unnecessary switching further by setting the Startup display mode to either 23.976 or 24, as these are the most common, although...

The only one gotcha I found was that 24fps content appears to start out at 23.976 for the first second, so there is two switches. There are a few workarounds for this:

* set the Startup display mode to 23.976 and Default switching to on, or
* remove 24Hz from the whitelist if you don't notice dropped frames for 24fps content (which funnily enough would then work the same as the Apple TV, which does not support 24fps), or
* set the Automatic Change Delay to 5 seconds (1 or 2 seconds would be perfect, but not yet available).

All in all it's a welcome improvement :)

·
UHD Addict
37,436 Posts
Wow can't believe Netflix finally giving us this option. Going to check it out.
As long as I can keep the preview option enabled then I will be happy. I have always loved the Netflix preview feature.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB)

·
Registered
359 Posts
As long as I can keep the preview option enabled then I will be happy. I have always loved the Netflix preview feature.

It is a per user setting, on or off.

All switched off for me.

·
Registered
615 Posts
There's no problem with the previews as a concept with respect to framerate switching (other than being annoying spoilers), just a problem with lazy implementations. The AppleTV implementation of framerate switching is baked into the OS in such a way that for an app to support it is very simple. You don't have to work out what rates the TV supports etc etc, you just set up when you play a piece of content whether this content should allow rate switching (default) or not, and TVOS works out the rest with respect to display capabilities and appropriate rates to switch to.

The Netflix app on TVOS fully takes advantage of this, so there are no delays, and your previews are rate converted to whatever rate the TVUI is set to, while real content is played at original rate.

A lot of platforms implement rate switching in a hacky way instead, doing it at a low level in the video playback engine instead of at a higher level with proper app support. Of course, when implemented that way there is no way to tell between if the content being played back is a preview or a title, so you end up either having rate changes every time a preview has a different rate, or no rate matching.

Anyway, it's good news that it is going to be possible to kill previews. I dislike them with a passion.

Apple did a lot right with their rate matching implementation, they just missed off almost half the rates... :rolleyes:
Video that describes how little you need to do to get frame rate matching on an AppleTV app:
https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/tech-talks/503/
Unless an app writer specifically asks for the app not to match rates, any time full screen playback is triggered the rate will switch if the HLS playlists are properly specified. The previews aren't full screen mode so they don't switch rates. Simple!
I think you and I are talking about two different previews.
The one I was referring to was the type where you click to read more about the movie and the movie actually starts in the small window. If you let it sit for too long, the small window will auto maximize and continue playing the movie. The transition is seamless and I'm sure this is what Netflix wanted.

From what Ive seen, if you switch refresh while playing a movie, the drm will complain and kick you out. Netflix will error out indicating so.

I do agree though. If it were just simple previews, and Netflix switched refresh on actual start, the minimal black screen delay should not be intrusive. Switching to HDR has this delay too.

I do not have ATV, but I opened up a video showing Netflix with refresh rate matching, and the TV blanked out right before playing the movie. This as expected.

·
Registered
18,583 Posts
Yay! No video preview on Netflix, auto-refresh app finally works.

Time to upgrade my living room Shield to the 2019 Pro I guess...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am thinking about getting the Navidia Pro. I have a Fire TV Cube right now. Picture not bad. I have a JVC 540 projector on a 110 screen. With the upscaling of the Pro, would I get a better picture? Thanks

·
Registered
18,583 Posts
Has anyone successfully gotten the Kodi Netflix addon on working with both Atmos and Dolby Vision? Supposedly it’s supposed to work on the Kodi 19 Alphas but I couldn’t get it to work on my Firestick 4k. Best I could do was HDR10/Atmos.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'm considering purchasing a Nvidia shield tube. Is there a dedicated thread for it or should I ask any questions I may have in this thread?

2441 - 2460 of 5870 Posts