AVS Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 5004 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Why pure direct and not Atmos? Does that disable audessy?
There's no need to set your AVR to pure direct. I have my Marantz set to Dolby Surround. The Stereo Upmix is disabled on the Shield.
I still get Atmos via Plex, Kodi/MrMC, Amazon Prime, and Vudu on my 2015 Shield.

The Xbox One uses Dolby MAT which means Atmos is engaged all the time, but when you check out what's going on in your AVR's web interface, Not everything is in Dolby Atmos. The Apple TV4K also uses Dolby MAT, but the output information is correct.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Answering myself here... it’s definitely not overscan as I can’t move them out any further. It’s Hulu or Shield+Hulu. Tried every other streaming app and none of them show this. Very odd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

And... I fixed it. I signed up for the hot fixes yesterday to fix the color space issue and got that this morning. It still had the flashing line thing so I unplugged it and the HDMI cable, waited a bit, plugged everything back in and it no longer has the flashing line.

I don’t understand why only Hulu was having an issue if it was a connection problem. But hey, it worked so nuff said. :)

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
And... I fixed it. I signed up for the hot fixes yesterday to fix the color space issue and got that this morning. It still had the flashing line thing so I unplugged it and the HDMI cable, waited a bit, plugged everything back in and it no longer has the flashing line.

I don’t understand why only Hulu was having an issue if it was a connection problem. But hey, it worked so nuff said. :)

This occurred with Netflix 4:3 content when one of the major updates hit the Shield during the summer of 2018 I believe. A hotfix was the remedy for that app as well.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
There's no need to set your AVR to pure direct. I have my Marantz set to Dolby Surround. The Stereo Upmix is disabled on the Shield.

I still get Atmos via Plex, Kodi/MrMC, Amazon Prime, and Vudu on my 2015 Shield.

The Xbox One uses Dolby MAT which means Atmos is engaged all the time, but when you check out what's going on in your AVR's web interface, Not everything is in Dolby Atmos. The Apple TV4K also uses Dolby MAT, but the output information is correct.

Sadly the webui is a thing of the past for Denon/Marantz. At least last I checked they had gotten rid of it on most avrs.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
What model AVR? I'm using a Marantz SR7010. You can also use the App as well. Some of the non Marantz/Denon apps work just as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
This occurred with Netflix 4:3 content when one of the major updates hit the Shield during the summer of 2018 I believe. A hotfix was the remedy for that app as well.

I think it was more from me docking around with settings trying to fix the color space issue and refresh rate. Either way I’ll take it!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Which app are you using?
For Android:

There's the Marantz App which is model "generation" specific. Be sure to check if your model AVR is Supported.

There is also the Denon/Marantz Remote App. This is a free app but it requires a fee to unlock more advance features.

If you're able to access your AVR via it's IP address, then those "advanced" features are already available.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
What model AVR? I'm using a Marantz SR7010. You can also use the App as well. Some of the non Marantz/Denon apps work just as well.

I think you brought this up before and I asked in the Denon thread because I couldn't get it working. JD said they good rid of it. I have an x1400.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I thought I would try out the games feature on my shield,bought a PS4 controller, and tried to play Jaws pinball, but there was quite a bit of lag. Tried a usb connection, resets, but that did not help either. I'm not really a gamer, can someone point me in the right direction with a fix? I'm almost a geezer, so be gentle.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Slow to change audio volume using nVidia Shield remote control?

So I've recently bought the nVidia Shield Pro 2019 version. One thing I've noticed is that if I use the nVidia Shield's remote control to change the audio volume, then the volume changes very slowly. I.e. there seems to be a delay between each step that the volume is increased.

If I instead use the TV's remote control, then the volume changes much faster and the delay between each step that the volume is increased is much lower.

In both cases the volume is changed using HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). The connection is nVidiaShield- > AVR (Marantz SR7008) -> TV (LG OLED C7), all via HDMI.

So I wonder if there is some reason why the volume changes much slower when using the nVidia Shield remote control? Can the delay between volume increase steps be changed e.g. using some setting? :confused:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Can someone help me with sound settings please? I have a marantz sr6010 with 7.2.1 Atmos setup. We must have changed something on the sound settings because the sound is low on Netflix Atmos tracks and it doesn't output in Atmos it states digital + neural x.....I had selected auto from shield tv 2019 pro and auto on the receiver. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I think this is due to when NF actually starts the ATMOS track. I have just switched to another surround mode then back and ATMOS works fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So I've recently bought the nVidia Shield Pro 2019 version. One thing I've noticed is that if I use the nVidia Shield's remote control to change the audio volume, then the volume changes very slowly. I.e. there seems to be a delay between each step that the volume is increased.

If I instead use the TV's remote control, then the volume changes much faster and the delay between each step that the volume is increased is much lower.

In both cases the volume is changed using HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). The connection is nVidiaShield- > AVR (Marantz SR7008) -> TV (LG OLED C7), all via HDMI.

So I wonder if there is some reason why the volume changes much slower when using the nVidia Shield remote control? Can the delay between volume increase steps be changed e.g. using some setting? :confused:
I wish. With my Onkyo reciever i have the same problem, or worse actually, as one press on the remote, no matter how long, will just raise the volume 0.5 step, so i have to click the volume buttons a ridiculous amount of time to change the volume a reasonable amount. And this is both via CEC and IR. Luckily i have my harmony remote which does long press volume changes just fine, but i would really like to ditch that, and mostly use google home & the shield remote, as that is all really need for daily use. Someone here, or possibly at the nvidia forum, told me "it's just the way it is" :( I do believe this is BS, as the shield app does long press to continually change volume just fine, but thats an icky solution for me.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I wish. With my Onkyo reciever i have the same problem, or worse actually, as one press on the remote, no matter how long, will just raise the volume 0.5 step, so i have to click the volume buttons a ridiculous amount of time to change the volume a reasonable amount. And this is both via CEC and IR. Luckily i have my harmony remote which does long press volume changes just fine, but i would really like to ditch that, and mostly use google home & the shield remote, as that is all really need for daily use. Someone here, or possibly at the nvidia forum, told me "it's just the way it is" :( I do believe this is BS, as the shield app does long press to continually change volume just fine, but thats an icky solution for me.
Works the same on my Yamahas as well. Must just be the way they (Nvidia) has programmed the volume function.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I wish. With my Onkyo reciever i have the same problem, or worse actually, as one press on the remote, no matter how long, will just raise the volume 0.5 step, so i have to click the volume buttons a ridiculous amount of time to change the volume a reasonable amount.
I don't have that problem with my onkyo rz820

·
Registered
47 Posts
BTW, i don't think it was mentioned in this thread, but i saw in the ATV4K Stick thread that dolby vision now works with the netflix addon in Kodi 19 alphas, and sure enough, it works on my Shield Pro as well :) Interface is clunky & it will display some off colors before switching to DV mode, but it does enable proper automatic refresh rate switching for netflix :)

*edit* And trakt integration (i haven't tested it yet though)

·
Registered
18,530 Posts
BTW, i don't think it was mentioned in this thread, but i saw in the ATV4K Stick thread that dolby vision now works with the netflix addon in Kodi 19 alphas, and sure enough, it works on my Shield Pro as well :) Interface is clunky & it will display some off colors before switching to DV mode, but it does enable proper automatic refresh rate switching for netflix :)

*edit* And trakt integration (i haven't tested it yet though)
I suspected it would work but I had little reason to post it here because the standalone app on the 2019 Pro already has Atmos support, which it doesn’t have on the Fire TV devices. I have no real reason to upgrade to a 2019 Pro now as DV+Atmos on Netflix was really the only thing all my multiple devices couldn’t do.

I’m tempted to try it on my 2017 Shield to see I what happens. It shouldn’t work but I haven’t installed Kodi 19 on it just because hardly anything works right anyways.

2481 - 2500 of 5004 Posts