AVS Forum banner

2681 - 2700 of 4988 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Would I get Atmos on Netflix with a 2019 model on my 1080p display, or does that behave the same as Disney and Amazon, whereby it only gives you Atmos if it detects a 4k display?
Works on my 2019 Shield Pro, I can get Atmos on Netflix even though my projector is 1080p. You need the UHD subscription though.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Atmos with D+

Have SHIELD TV 2019: 8.1.1 and Disney+: 1.3.0 but no Atmos on Disney+. Have Atmos via Amazon, Movies Anywhere, Netflix and Vudu.
Same, but after killing the newly-updated D+ app, clearing cache and storage, and logging back in, presto, Atmos for The Mandalorian :D

·
Premium Member
5,139 Posts
Resolution Switching = off (means plex will output at whatever the Shield is set to, so if 4k then everything is 4k)

Resolution switching = on (plex will overide the global setting and switch the shield to the resolution of the video being played)
I think I know the answer is no but I'll ask any way to be sure, resolution switching is not available for the streaming shield content(netflix,amazon espn etc.), just the Plex output correct?

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
I think I know the answer is no but I'll ask any way to be sure, resolution switching is not available for the streaming shield content(netflix,amazon espn etc.), just the Plex output correct?
It is available in two forms:

1. The internal refresh rate switching which is a beta feature of the new Shield. It has to be selected manually once playback has already begun, and has to be done every time you play something. This only changes refresh rate, not resolution.

2. The refresh rate app which is a 3rd party app that allows things to happen automatically.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.bytearray.refreshrate&hl=en_US

I don't believe either are perfect, last I tried the internal solution with Amazon Prime it would throw an HDCP error and kill playback, not sure it has been resolved.

##Edited for a mistake.

·
Premium Member
5,139 Posts
OK, Thanks Whiteboy714, I read it quickly and jumped on purchasing a Shield thinking I could get native output. It would really be nice playing the content at their native resolution.

·
Registered
384 Posts
OK, Thanks Whiteboy714, I read it quickly and jumped on purchasing a Shield thinking I could get native output. It would really be nice playing the content at their native resolution.

Kodi used as a media player can also force the Shield video output to match the source content. It works independent of any global settings.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Well the thing about the new Shield, unless you think your TV has excellent upscaling, one of the best features on the Shield is its improved upscaling. So to take advantage of that
you actually don't want to use resolution switching, you want everything output at 4k.

Sorry I made a mistake earlier the internal feature is for refresh rate switching, not resolution.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So an HDFury box will solve this problem for you. It will show a 4K display to the NVidia, and then downscale to 1080p, which will allow the ATMOS sound to go to your AVR.
Cheers mate - will check it out ;)

Works on my 2019 Shield Pro, I can get Atmos on Netflix even though my projector is 1080p. You need the UHD subscription though.
Excellent thanks.

Same, but after killing the newly-updated D+ app, clearing cache and storage, and logging back in, presto, Atmos for The Mandalorian
Are you (or anyone else) able to confirm titles like TOGO, Noelle, and Lady and the Tramp playback Atmos, as I know other devices were unable to playback Atmos on some Disney titles?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Same, but after killing the newly-updated D+ app, clearing cache and storage, and logging back in, presto, Atmos for The Mandalorian :D

@galonzo, can you confirm whether you have a 1080 or 4k display?

Also, can you describe more specifically how you "kill the app, clear cache, and clear storage?"

I am having the same problem getting Atmos so I tried what I thought were the steps you described above but no success.

:frown:

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
@elee532, my Shield goes into my Oppo 203, then through my 2018 4K AVR to a 4K display.

Go to Settings >> Apps >> D+, select Force Stop, Clear Cache, and Clear Data (in that order)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Does Atmos work with HD (without 4K)? There's a comment in that thread asking why HDR is required to play Atmos in Disney+. Maybe this is a Disney+ limitation?

Hmm... more info...
Just saw this comment from an Nvidia rep:

"Is your display 4k or 1080? Disney+ is like Amazon, the 2 of them only serve atmos when the display is 4k."

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/345882/disney-app-now-supports-dolby-atmos-on-all-shield-/2406527/

I have a 2017 Shield hooked up to a 1080p display, and Atmos works fine using Plex and Kodi, but as above, not for Disney+.

Would I get Atmos on Netflix with a 2019 model on my 1080p display, or does that behave the same as Disney and Amazon, whereby it only gives you Atmos if it detects a 4k display?

Appears to depend. I can't log into Disney+ at the moment to see if I have a "UHD" account. Will have to try this weekend on my Shield (2017).

·
Registered
705 Posts
It is available in two forms:

1. The internal refresh rate switching which is a beta feature of the new Shield. It has to be selected manually once playback has already begun, and has to be done every time you play something. This only changes refresh rate, not resolution.

2. The refresh rate app which is a 3rd party app that allows things to happen automatically.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.bytearray.refreshrate&hl=en_US

I don't believe either are perfect, last I tried the internal solution with Amazon Prime it would throw an HDCP error and kill playback, not sure it has been resolved.

##Edited for a mistake.
The app issue is still there (and on HBO) which is why I don't use it. Not sure if it's fixable. The beta feature also kills playback in both Prime and HBO. Wish there was a workaround.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Go to Settings >> Apps >> D+, select Force Stop, Clear Cache, and Clear Data (in that order)
Did that but still no Atmos on D+ so I repeated those steps, deleted the D+ app and did a factory reset. Installed D+ again but still no Atmos. :( As noted earlier, have Atmos on several other apps.

FWIW, have Atmos via D+ on my Roku Ultra 2019.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
@Wendell R. Breland , is your signal chain 4K all the way? As others have mentioned, Nvidia is saying Atmos is tied to 4K with the D+ app on the Shield.

FWIW, I have the 2019 tube, and I also have always been able to get Atmos via my 2016 Roku Premier Plus (that only goes through my AVR, and then to my 4K display, so I haven't tested the Atmos there with 1080p).

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hey all, have a 2019 shield tv pro, and I have a quick question on the AI upscaling.

I currently am using AI enhanced, and level medium. I do see some oversharpening when watching hulu. My question is, how does it relate to the TV sharpness? Currently on my 2018 QLED, for SDR on the shield input I have sharpness set to 6 (default 10).

If I am using AI upscaling, do I need to lower sharpness (0?) or use a lower value on the shield if I have sharpness set on the TV itself? Thanks all!

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
@Wendell R. Brelandis your signal chain 4K all the way?
By 4K I assume you mean UHD (3840) and yes it is. The projector (VW600) really is 4K (4096) but have it set to display as UHD.

On the off chance the micro SD card is causing the D+/Atmos problem I will remove it and repeat the reset process again.

OK scratch that, no SD card for the Shield, did add one to the Roku Ultra.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I currently have a Plex Media server set up on my iMac from which I stream 4K movie rips over my home network to my XBox1X and watch via the Plex app. I have been really happy with this setup, everything plays, very little stuttering, but now I want to upgrade from 5.1 to 5.1.4 for Atmos.

I am looking to switch to the Shield TV Pro 2019 for this reason. As well as for Netflix, Amazon Prime etc..

Can anyone confirm that everything is working in this regard with Plex and that if I switch to the Shield I should have smooth playback and Atmos sound, thus improving on my XBox1X?

Thanks

·
Registered
458 Posts
I currently have a Plex Media server set up on my iMac from which I stream 4K movie rips over my home network to my XBox1X and watch via the Plex app. I have been really happy with this setup, everything plays, very little stuttering, but now I want to upgrade from 5.1 to 5.1.4 for Atmos.

I am looking to switch to the Shield TV Pro 2019 for this reason. As well as for Netflix, Amazon Prime etc..

Can anyone confirm that everything is working in this regard with Plex and that if I switch to the Shield I should have smooth playback and Atmos sound, thus improving on my XBox1X?

Thanks

On the sheild pro 2019 , I’ve had 95% success rate with plex ( some files don’t play ) ,

( so far no file has exhibited any problem ) 100 % with plexkodiconnect. I’m a long time plex user .
My server is a Windows 10 laptop .

2681 - 2700 of 4988 Posts