AVS Forum banner

3001 - 3020 of 5569 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,291 Posts
I almost picked one up last time they were on sale.

I'm looking to upgrade the 2017 Shield connected to my projector.

From what I've read, it seems like the tube will work for me. I'm mainly interested in the AI up scaling for streaming apps, and Plex. I don't plan to play any games, or host a Plex server on this.

Anyone see a reason for me to hold out for the pro model?
Are you saying the tube has AI upscaling? I looked at one on eBay and there is no mention of the upscaling in a pretty complete functional description.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Note there is no IR in the 2019 models, so the USB port was handy to keep my Harmony working via LIRC.
True, but my 2017 version doesn't have that either. But yes, if someone wants to use a single IR remote the tube version isn't the choice. But I believe there are Harmony remotes that can control it via Bluetooth, so that's an option as well.

Reactions: beerhunt

·
Registered
177 Posts
True, but my 2017 version doesn't have that either. But yes, if someone wants to use a single IR remote the tube version isn't the choice. But I believe there are Harmony remotes that can control it via Bluetooth, so that's an option as well.
I have two 2017 Shields without IR. Both are paired with Harmony hubs.

Really wish they would give owners of the previous models the option for a software upgrade. I would gladly pay $20 or so to have all the 2019 features. The 2019 isn't really ahead of the 2017 hardware wise.

That's the rub, my standard 2017 model is basically a 2019 pro, so in some ways the tube would be a step down.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts

Really wish they would give owners of the previous models the option for a software upgrade. I would gladly pay $20 or so to have all the 2019 features. The 2019 isn't really ahead of the 2017 hardware wise.

That's the rub, my standard 2017 model is basically a 2019 pro, so in some ways the tube would be a step down.

The new Pro is 25% faster than my 2017’s so it’s definitely ahead hardware wise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: psuKinger

·
Registered
177 Posts
The new Pro is 25% faster than my 2017’s so it’s definitely ahead hardware wise.

According to Nvidia its 25% faster, but every benchmark I've seen puts it at 5-10% faster.

I was mainly comparing my 2017 to the tube model, which in many ways would be a step down. It is available and on sale right now. I would still rather just have the new software run on my old Shield, because I am sure it is capable.

Since the 2019 pro models are pretty much unattainable right now, Nvidia could easily make some money buy selling SW upgrades for the 2017 models.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
According to Nvidia its 25% faster, but every benchmark I've seen puts it at 5-10% faster.

I was mainly comparing my 2017 to the tube model, which in many ways would be a step down. It is available and on sale right now. I would still rather just have the new software run on my old Shield, because I am sure it is capable.

Since the 2019 pro models are pretty much unattainable right now, Nvidia could easily make some money buy selling SW upgrades for the 2017 models.

Actually I ran a benchmark last November using software someone here asked me to use because I have both the old and new Pro’s and the 25% claim by Nvidia was remarkably accurate. You can search for it if you want, several screenshots are included measuring several categories. I doubt very much the Pro OS would run on our 2017’s. Not enough horsepower IMO.

Edit: see post #1411

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

I've been an owner since early days. Bought my first one either in late 2015 or early 2016, I can't remember which... I've actually got four of those 2015 models. I miss the built-in IR, it made it simple to control a pretty nice high-end rig with a simple cost effective $60 Logitech 650... *BUT*, if the following applies to you:

1) If you have a use for both the Dolby Vision feature and the improved upscaler

2) You have another (preferably non 4k HDR) TV somewhere else in your house that you don't have a Shield hooked up to...

Then ~$200 seems like a "relatively small price" to pay to get what this thing gives you, particularly if you can repurpose your old model elsewhere... JMO.

Reactions: galonzo and JGrana

·
Registered
177 Posts
Actually I ran a benchmark last November using software someone here asked me to use because I have both the old and new Pro’s and the 25% claim by Nvidia was remarkably accurate. You can search for it if you want, several screenshots are included measuring several categories. I doubt very much the Pro OS would run on our 2017’s. Not enough horsepower IMO.

Edit: see post #1411

It's good to see an actual gain, most of the reviews I found comparing the old and new said the gain was minimal.

I've been an owner since early days. Bought my first one either in late 2015 or early 2016, I can't remember which... I've actually got four of those 2015 models. I miss the built-in IR, it made it simple to control a pretty nice high-end rig with a simple cost effective $60 Logitech 650... *BUT*, if the following applies to you:

1) If you have a use for both the Dolby Vision feature and the improved upscaler

2) You have another (preferably non 4k HDR) TV somewhere else in your house that you don't have a Shield hooked up to...

Then ~$200 seems like a "relatively small price" to pay to get what this thing gives you, particularly if you can repurpose your old model elsewhere... JMO.
I don't have anything with DV, mainly looking at the improved upscaler. I think it will do a better job than my projector, and defiantly do a better job than the 2017 model. The pro can't be had for $200 right now, and who knows when they will be available at that price again.

I think I'll pick up the tube while its on sale, and I've got another TV I can use the 2017 model with. I'll hook he old one up to the TV in my game room and use it to play emulators.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

If you have a benchmark that puts synthetic loads to measure performance, they could either tell you it is the full 25% improvement or if it is a workload that just hits one core hard, it could be minuscule. Benchmarks are designed to artificially load hardware to measure theoretical power/performance but especially on a STB, it won't be representative of an actual job on the hardware.

When considering the new model, put the performance aside, it won't result in any better A/V performance but if you want DV or AI upscaling, that is how you should measure.

Edit oops, missed this latest:
I don't have anything with DV, mainly looking at the improved upscaler. I think it will do a better job than my projector, and defiantly do a better job than the 2017 model. The pro can't be had for $200 right now, and who knows when they will be available at that price again.
The upscaler is quite nice in my experience, if not a bit sometime a bit aggressive and exacerbates artifacts from streaming sources. That said, with my local Blu-ray backups at full bitrate, the results are quite impressive.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The upscaler is quite nice in my experience, if not a bit sometime a bit aggressive and exacerbates artifacts from streaming sources. That said, with my local Blu-ray backups at full bitrate, the results are quite impressive.
I've been binging on Battlestar Galactica (on Prime Video), this is where I see the most variation in the AI upscale effect (4K projector UHD65). On any close scenes the picture is very 4K like but on any scenes taken in the hanger bay the picture is excessively grainy. This is consistent between episodes and stark enough to be noticed all the time. It doesn't bother me but generally hasn't been my experience with the AI Upscaling medium setting. I've been surprisingly please with this feature especially as I'd originally thought it was just marketing hype with no bearing on why I bought the device.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Why do these kind of tech companies get such an easy ride?

Amazon Prime 4K video was working perfectly on the Shield 19 up until a week or two ago and now it doesn't work at all.

We're paying for these boxes and we're paying for a streaming service, yet they don't work when used together and nobody seems to really be overly concerned about it.

Can you imagine buying a TV and after 2 weeks it refuses to show a picture and buyers simply shrug and say, 'Oh well, I'll guess they'll fix it at some point'?

·
UHD Addict
37,296 Posts

You need the faster model to be able to do the AI upscaling.

·
Premium Member
4,291 Posts
I just installed the Shield TV tube. It works great except that I'm having trouble with Netflix hdr on my 1080P projectors. I have not been able to figure out how to strip out hdr like I could on the Roku it replaced. As a result the colors on an hdr video are washed out, the same as it was on the Roku until you specified hdr strip out.

The AI scaling on this is as advertised. Using the middle setting the content looks very close to 4K, even on my 1080P projectors.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I just installed the Shield TV tube. It works great except that I'm having trouble with Netflix hdr on my 1080P projectors. I have not been able to figure out how to strip out hdr like I could on the Roku it replaced. As a result the colors on an hdr video are washed out, the same as it was on the Roku until you specified hdr strip out.

The AI scaling on this is as advertised. Using the middle setting the content looks very close to 4K, even on my 1080P projectors.

You can’t do that with the Shield TV.

My 2019 TCL 6-Series QLED R625 Calibrated Settings

·
Premium Member
4,291 Posts
Ouch! Then how do you find a non-hdr version of the same video on Netflix, Prime, and Disney+? I've tested all three and the problem exist.

My system is designed to send 4k to the Denon AVR where it passes through to a splitter that down scales the 4K to 1080P. The theory is that 4K downscaled to 1080P looks better than 1080P original to 1080P. The splitter can't strip the hdr so I was planning on the Shield to do it. The Roku does it nicely but doesn't have as good a scaling capability.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Ouch! Then how do you find a non-hdr version of the same video on Netflix, Prime, and Disney+? I've tested all three and the problem exist.

My system is designed to send 4k to the Denon AVR where it passes through to a splitter that down scales the 4K to 1080P. The theory is that 4K downscaled to 1080P looks better than 1080P original to 1080P. The splitter can't strip the hdr so I was planning on the Shield to do it. The Roku does it nicely but doesn't have as good a scaling capability.
I don't think any of them offer a non-HDR version unless you lower your resolution output to 1080. Of course, in Prime there are usually UHD and HD versions of the same movie, and the 1080 version doesn't have HDR. So in Prime you can choose the 1080 version and leave the Shield set at 4K. I don't use Netflix any longer, so can't say if the offer a choice, and I've never seen that option in D+. Changing the Shield output to 1080 is likely the only way to get a non-HDR version, but then of course it's not 4K for your splitter to scale.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
271 Posts
Why do these kind of tech companies get such an easy ride?

Amazon Prime 4K video was working perfectly on the Shield 19 up until a week or two ago and now it doesn't work at all.

We're paying for these boxes and we're paying for a streaming service, yet they don't work when used together and nobody seems to really be overly concerned about it.

Can you imagine buying a TV and after 2 weeks it refuses to show a picture and buyers simply shrug and say, 'Oh well, I'll guess they'll fix it at some point'?

Please report the problem to Amazon. Culturally, they are customer driven, but they need real data to prioritize those decisions. It will be a little painful to fight through the customer support script, as the initial person you talk to doesn't actually know anything, but you need to get them to escalate your case. Here are my tips: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/347034/nvidia-sheild-tv-pro-not-playing-4k-moviesseries-o/2440161/

·
Registered
271 Posts

HDFury has a range of devices that will do this for you, starting at $250. If you spend more, you'll get more configuration options.

3001 - 3020 of 5569 Posts