AVS Forum banner

3481 - 3500 of 4953 Posts

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
When they say it supports Dolby Vision. Do they mean on apps like Netflix and PRIME or do they mean from external sources like ripped UHD discs?
Thanks
Depends how they're ripped, but, Plex can be used to play TS files made from UHD's.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
For Kodi users, did you install via Google Play or did you use a downloader, download and install?
I had earlier used a beta version that I sideloaded, but I've just been using the Play Store version ever since version 18 was released.

Reactions: Wendell R. Breland

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
I’m too late again. This is impossible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It makes no sense. I went to their site and it said "out of stock"; so I put myself on their e-mail list for advising of availability. I then went to check my daily e-mails; and a minute or so later their e-mail came in saying they were "in stock". I immediately went to their site and completed the buy within a couple minutes. But, I'll see what happens. During the purchase process, the system advised of 5-7 days for receipt. However, the subsequent e-mail providing "receipt for puchase and order number" said that the 5-7 seven days starts when I get my future e-mail providing shipment status. If they are really "in stock"; that should be tomorrow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For Kodi users, did you install via Google Play or did you use a downloader, download and install?

I'm just using Leia from Play Store now.

I tested some of the latest nightly builds a few weeks ago and they seemed to have too many issues even considering the nightly status - e.g. trying to skip forward would start the playback from beginning every time.

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on the Nvidia Shield (non Pro) version and working my way through this long and interesting thread.

I just noticed a difference between the dongle and the Pro.

Does anyone know if

Dolby Atmos * Dolby Digital Plus

indicate that Dolby Atmos is only sent over Dolby Digital Plus or does it mean that uncompressed Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 is supported in addition to Dolby Digital Plus?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
12,324 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on the Nvidia Shield (non Pro) version and working my way through this long and interesting thread.

I just noticed a difference between the dongle and the Pro.

Does anyone know if

Dolby Atmos * Dolby Digital Plus

indicate that Dolby Atmos is only sent over Dolby Digital Plus or does it mean that uncompressed Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 is supported in addition to Dolby Digital Plus?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
There is no difference between the two. Bitstream of lossless TrueHD w/ Atmos is supported even on the old Shields. The only real difference between Pro and non-Pro is the USB port. If you have to have USB port, you need the Pro version.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
There is no difference between the two. Bitstream of lossless TrueHD w/ Atmos is supported even on the old Shields. The only real difference between Pro and non-Pro is the USB port. If you have to have USB port, you need the Pro version.

There’s more differences than that. Pro has more RAM, 64 bit vs. 32 bit etc, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Which only means anything if you play games on it. Otherwise, for media consumption that will make no difference.

I don’t have both devices but maybe you do. My experience in comparing my 32 bit Sony Android TV to either my arm64 Shields or FireTV’s is that there is a considerable improvement in non gaming performance between the two with 64 bit apps.

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts

Thank you - no need for USB ports so this is good news.

It was the following youtube video that threw me off ( see 0.48 ) but to my knowledge Dolby Digital Plus is a 5.1 standard so could be a misprint:

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I don’t have both devices but maybe you do. My experience in comparing my 32 bit Sony Android TV to either my arm64 Shields or FireTV’s is that there is a considerable improvement in non gaming performance between the two with 64 bit apps.

I don't have both versions of the '19 Shield, but I do have a '17 non-Pro version. My '19 tube model is easily as fast to use as the '17. My use is mostly YouTube, Prime Video, CBS All Access, and Kodi for my local media. Both stream my UHD rips effortlessly, offer all the features I want for my home use. No, I don't game on it (or anything else for that matter). It is strictly a media streaming player, and for me there's nothing better. I don't have a DV display, I only have 5.1.2 Atmos in the bedroom setup (with the '17). If I must have YouTube HDR I use a Roku Ultra. For me the Shield checks every box, and I don't need the Pro version for it.

Reactions: beerhunt

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
There’s more differences than that. Pro has more RAM, 64 bit vs. 32 bit etc, etc.

Thank you - understood all of this and may have purchased the Pro if it was available but now that I have the non Pro not seeing any personal reason to upgrade when it does ( I have 45 days to return to Best Buy ).

I suspect the 64 bit would be more for the higher end games and memory utilization does not seem to even use more than 1 GB for streaming movies, correct?

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Thank you - understood all of this and may have purchased the Pro if it was available but now that I have the non Pro not seeing any personal reason to upgrade when it does ( I have 45 days to return to Best Buy ).

I suspect the 64 bit would be more for the higher end games and memory utilization does not seem to even use 1 GB for streaming movies, correct?

All apps you install on it will be the 32 bit version not arm64. Good idea to try it out.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I don't have both versions of the '19 Shield, but I do have a '17 non-Pro version. My '19 tube model is easily as fast to use as the '17. My use is mostly YouTube, Prime Video, CBS All Access, and Kodi for my local media. Both stream my UHD rips effortlessly, offer all the features I want for my home use. No, I don't game on it (or anything else for that matter). It is strictly a media streaming player, and for me there's nothing better. I don't have a DV display, I only have 5.1.2 Atmos in the bedroom setup (with the '17). If I must have YouTube HDR I use a Roku Ultra. For me the Shield checks every box, and I don't need the Pro version for it.

Yes but the 2017 version is not as quick as the 2019 Pro (I have both) so we would need to hear from someone that can bench apples to apples to answer the OP’s question accurately.
I’m not saying it will be a deal breaker but in my experience it’s a factor.

·
Registered
12,324 Posts

That can't really be called comparison. One processor is much slower than another, not related to 32-bit vs 64-bit. Your argument reminds me of the ancient N64 marketing scheme :)

Also, with a 64-bit processor, you NEED to have more memory because the 64-bit instruction sets and data are typically more memory hog than the 32-bit counter parts. So 3GB on Shield Pro w/ 64-bit will be similar to 2GB on Shield TV w/ 32-bit. No advantage there.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
That can't really be called comparison. One processor is much slower than another, not related to 32-bit vs 64-bit. Your argument reminds me of the ancient N64 marketing scheme :)

You’re not comparing processor to processor either so I guess you’ve fallen into the marketing scheme .

Yes, you’re right. An immediate practical advantage that 64-bit systems offer is the use of greater RAM. Not “hogging” it but “using” it.

Edit: saw you added to your comment so I expanded mine.

·
Registered
12,324 Posts
Based on my experiences with the Android phones, 2GB on 32-bit ARM processor is pretty much the top end configuration while 3GB on 64-bit ARM processor is barely entry level. High end Android phones now require 4GB to 6GB or RAM.

All this talk is useless though as performing media streaming does not require anything closer either of the memory limits of these two models.

3481 - 3500 of 4953 Posts