AVS Forum banner

3741 - 3760 of 4995 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,264 Posts
What is the name of the tech that lights up the buttons on the remote when you move it? Is it available for my iPhone? I have found that the phone app for the Harmony Hub works pretty nicely for device control but leaves the phone lit when you lay it down on the armrest. If I suspend the lighting I have to “Slide to unlock” in order to use it again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Display & Sound - Advanced sound settings: switch off Dolby audio processing.

Available formats: Auto

Stereo upmix: Off

Added:

You also have to set up your player/app for passthrough/bitstream.
Probably by dumb luck I had it right. Now if I could get HULU to not black screen on opening a program and Dolby Vision to work on Amazon Prime, I'd be a really happy camper.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I've recently gotten the 2019 Tube Shield (the Pro was out of stock) and I'm very pleased with its image projected over 11 feet wide by my JVC RS1000 (a/k/a the N5 and NX5).

It's largely displaced my 4K Roku Ultra and 4K Amazon FireStick for most streaming because of its gigabit Ethernet jack and its AI Upscaling to 4K, which is very good. Of course, it only upscales sources that are 1080 and below. (PS In first setting it up I used its wifi connection, which worked about as well.)

I haven't seen any settings for Tone Mapping, and HDR displays are auto-recognized by the Shield. On our projectors there's no reason to choose DV. (I don't know of any projectors that support DV.)

I use the default Medium setting for the AI Upscaling most of the time, though I flirt with High now and then. (High makes small details on 480 material look too blocky.) If you used a Darbee Darblet (or the version built into the Oppo 103D), you can think of the AI Upscaling in the Shield as an improved version of Darbee that goes beyond local contrast enhancement to actually adding deduced detail. (Like in Trek, when they say, "Enlarge and enhance.")

Do you Use/Setup the 2019 Shield when playing back 4K UHD HDR Files on your JVC RS1000?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Can someone tell me if the Nvidia Shield Tube/Pro using the Hulu app will output 5.1 audio for CSI the original Las Vegas one? I only get stereo DD+ on both my Roku SS & Fire TV 4K stick. Is there another device where 5.1 audio works? Thanks:)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Do you Use/Setup the 2019 Shield when playing back 4K UHD HDR Files on your JVC RS1000?
I don't have any 4K UHD files. I either play 4K streams or disks. I don't rip or download movies.

The Shield's AI Upscaling is inactive on 4K material, but I have seen it said here that the Shield allows unmodified playback of lossless soundtracks, apparently unlike other streamers that transcode them to lossy formats.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The Shield's AI Upscaling is inactive on 4K material, but I have seen it said here that the Shield allows unmodified playback of lossless soundtracks, apparently unlike other streamers that transcode them to lossy formats.
I use my Denon AVR to playback lossless music, which I don't think does any downrezzing or transcoding.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
AI while using Plex is very inconsistent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I’ve been back and forth on using the experimental player and it will work temporarily and then stop. Is this a known issue? I’ve searched the thread several times with no luck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
AI while using Plex is very inconsistent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I’ve been back and forth on using the experimental player and it will work temporarily and then stop. Is this a known issue? I’ve searched the thread several times with no luck.

For me the AI works consistently depending on any specific video and as Nvidia's own description of the AI processing indicates, it works best with specific videos (e.g. brighter lighting). Older grainy streams/poor transfers not so much. It has never stopped working mid video playback. I've always used the medium setting and never alter or even experiment as that seems just right to get the boost for my 4K UHD65 projector (110" screen).

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
For me the AI works consistently depending on any specific video and as Nvidia's own description of the AI processing indicates, it works best with specific videos (e.g. brighter lighting). Older grainy streams/poor transfers not so much. It has never stopped working mid video playback. I've always used the medium setting and never alter or even experiment as that seems just right to get the boost for my 4K UHD65 projector (110" screen).

I don’t think I described my issue properly. It doesn’t stop mid-movie. What happens is I will turn on a 1080p movie and it will not allow me to toggle between basic and AI, with a message at the bottom of the screen saying the content is incompatible, like its playing a 4K video. I’ve tried it on both the regular player and the experimental player. Going back-and-forth between player seems to make it work temporarily and then it will stop again. It works fine in Netflix and Amazon prime. Maybe I don’t understand exactly how AI works.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I don’t think I described my issue properly. It doesn’t stop mid-movie. What happens is I will turn on a 1080p movie and it will not allow me to toggle between basic and AI, with a message at the bottom of the screen saying the content is incompatible, like its playing a 4K video. I’ve tried it on both the regular player and the experimental player. Going back-and-forth between player seems to make it work temporarily and then it will stop again. It works fine in Netflix and Amazon prime. Maybe I don’t understand exactly how AI works.
Do you have “Resolution Switching” turned on in Plex (Settings>Advanced>Resolution Switching>On/Off)...? If it’s “On”, then AI will not work. AI only works when scaling lower resolution source material to 4K. Make sure Resolution Switching is turned off in the Plex app settings.

·
Registered
458 Posts

Plex through PlexkodiConnect in Kodi 18.6 is what I use , Never fails to play any file . Plex native app fails with some files .

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Do you have “Resolution Switching” turned on in Plex (Settings>Advanced>Resolution Switching>On/Off)...? If it’s “On”, then AI will not work. AI only works when scaling lower resolution source material to 4K. Make sure Resolution Switching is turned off in the Plex app settings.

OK now I’m really confused. I thought that setting was to make sure a film came out at its native resolution. In other words a 1080p would be output at 1080p??

Plex through PlexkodiConnect in Kodi 18.6 is what I use , Never fails to play any file . Plex native app fails with some files .

I’ve tried Kodi a dozen times and I can never get it to play correctly. I’ve been through the settings hundreds of times trying to figure it out and never can get consistent playback. Maybe I need to try that again too.

I appreciate the replies!!

·
Registered
124 Posts

I only capitalized some words below so that my explanation is understood. No shouting was intended, sorry.

I was originally messed up with how AI worked for a while. The SOURCE video frame rate determines if AI upscaling will work automatically when it's turned on. Any video frame rate INPUT greater than 30Hz will not work. Netflix and Prime are natively less than 30Hz. I do use Hz and fps loosely.
When I started using AI I thought that I needed to turn the OUTPUT frame rate to 30Hz or less but was eventually straightened out by some kind sole in this form. Now I don't even both with frame rate switching and all it's hassles on this device. I suspect that this is why you see inconsistencies. A source device has changed the videos frame rate to say 60Hz so "naturally" the Shield AI doesn't work.

·
Registered
414 Posts
OK now I’m really confused. I thought that setting was to make sure a film came out at its native resolution. In other words a 1080p would be output at 1080p??
It does... it forces the Shield to switch output resolution to match the source. But in doing so, it would disable the AI Upscaling feature since you’re telling it “not” to upscale the source to 4K (which is what AI Upscaling does).

Hope that makes more sense...;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
With all the frame rate matching options .. my projector blanks out when switching alot. It's kinda annoying. I've set my shield to auto which means it's running most of the time at 4k 60hz .. and turned off any frame rate switching in apps .. now any app that plays 1080 gets the ai upscaling and the only time my video signal cuts out is when switching between HDR and non HDR. I haven't seen any issues running 24fps content at 60hz. Any reason to try and do any resolution switching?

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
I only capitalized some words below so that my explanation is understood. No shouting was intended, sorry.

I was originally messed up with how AI worked for a while. The SOURCE video frame rate determines if AI upscaling will work automatically when it's turned on. Any video frame rate INPUT greater than 30Hz will not work. Netflix and Prime are natively less than 30Hz. I do use Hz and fps loosely.
When I started using AI I thought that I needed to turn the OUTPUT frame rate to 30Hz or less but was eventually straightened out by some kind sole in this form. Now I don't even both with frame rate switching and all it's hassles on this device. I suspect that this is why you see inconsistencies. A source device has changed the videos frame rate to say 60Hz so "naturally" the Shield AI doesn't work.
Aaaaah, I totally forgot reading about that limitation. Thank you!

It does... it forces the Shield to switch output resolution to match the source. But in doing so, it would disable the AI Upscaling feature since you’re telling it “not” to upscale the source to 4K (which is what AI Upscaling does).

Hope that makes more sense...;)
Yes, it does.

Thanks again everyone for the very helpful replies. I was looking at this completely backwards and you guys made it very clear.

3741 - 3760 of 4995 Posts