AVS Forum banner

4581 - 4600 of 5003 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Only regarding Multi-Channel DSD files, do you think "DSD over PCM" feature is the reason for this? Those streamers can not play DSD files natively, so the file is passed on as PCM to my receiver.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I'm thinking DSD 256 MCH might be too much to process for the Marantz. I only have SACD rips which are DSD 64 files in DSF which is a DOP format. The Marantz reports it as PCM at the input and a rather high sampling rate at 176.4khz for such file. Interestingly MrMC reports it at 352.8khz fs. I don't have any files that is higher than DSD 64 so I can't be sure what causing issues with your set up.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
But sound is coming out of all speakers because the receiver is in "Dolby Surround" mode.
(in my case) Only if multi-channel Flac or DSD is played. If 2 channel audio is played, the avr stays at Multi Ch In and only outputs to my mains. There are two Multi-Channel Flac files on my NAS I know of that will not change my avr to Dolby Surround.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
(in my case) Only if multi-channel Flac or DSD is played. If 2 channel audio is played, the avr stays at Multi Ch In and only outputs to my mains. There are two Multi-Channel Flac files on my NAS I know of that will not change my avr to Dolby Surround.
But with Kodi (mrmc) set to 2.1, if the signal is PCM Kodi only outputs in 2.1 correct? Pretty sure that's how it works. I understand bitstreaming will bypass the speaker config, but if you output
PCM while set to 2.1 then it should only be sending out 2.1, meaning if you are getting sound from all speakers at that point the AVR is processing the signal.

At least that's how I understand it.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I think I see what you guys are talking about now. Just got home and I'm having to do some re-wiring because I added a UPS to my system.

I set my AVR back to 5.1 and disabled my Atmos set up.

Using the DSD Sampler for Oppo Players:
Playing some multi-channel DSD files, my avr reports PCM,176.4 kHz. It also displays 2.0 with Dolby Surround Engaged.
The same songs are also presented in just 2-channel DSD. AVR reports PCM, 176.4, Multi Ch In (but only outputting to 2 speakers).

I set the AVR to "Direct Mode", and get the same results. Dolby Surround will engage on my AVR.

In Pure Direct Mode, everything is in Stereo.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
But with Kodi (mrmc) set to 2.1, if the signal is PCM Kodi only outputs in 2.1 correct? Pretty sure that's how it works. I understand bitstreaming will bypass the speaker config, but if you output
PCM while set to 2.1 then it should only be sending out 2.1, meaning if you are getting sound from all speakers at that point the AVR is processing the signal.

At least that's how I understand it.

This is what my AVR appears to be doing when playing multi-channel audio. It engages Dolby Surround when needed, but it reports back as 2.0.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
This is what my AVR appears to be doing when playing multi-channel audio. It engages Dolby Surround when needed, but it reports back as 2.0.
Yeah you don't want Dolby Surround, I believe you need to set it to 5.1 to work properly. The problem is Kodi, it should know to send 2.0 as 2.0 when 5.1 is selected. But it doesn't seem to.

With Corelec this problem goes away.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Yeah you don't want Dolby Surround, I believe you need to set it to 5.1 to work properly. The problem is Kodi, it should know to send 2.0 as 2.0 when 5.1 is selected. But it doesn't seem to.

With Corelec this problem goes away.
What does your AVR report back with Corelec for Multi-Channel?

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
What does your AVR report back with Corelec for Multi-Channel?
Multi In, but of course Multi in can be 2.0, 5.1 etc. Sometimes the source just being set to multi channel pcm triggers Multi In mode.

Pushing info will show the active speakers. If the AVR auto switched to Dolby Surround then that is the default mode you have for that source.
I sometimes leave my Shield like that, so that anything like DD/DTS will bitstream, but if it is just a 2 channel source it auto switches to Dolby Surround.

All it is doing is going to the last mode used. That was specifically set. Although it is imperfect at times. What is more important is not so much the mode
that triggers but the mode that is actually being sent. I have noticed a need to switch to multi in at times, for instance if it is stuck at stereo. But multi in is
only available whan a mutli ch PCM signal is detected.

This is all in reference to Denon, but pretty sure they are the same in that way.

Reactions: groove93

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Good Stuff, I'm going to play with this for a while. An HDMI Cable kicked the bucket on my on my Oppo and I'm now curious as to how this device will report the same files. More focused on the "Channel" configuration than the Bitrate this time around.

I also have the Media Player on my AVR playing back some DSD files. My TV reports back DSD/2.8223MHz. The Web interface just reports back Stereo/DSD/2.0. The AVR cannot play anything beyond dsd64 so I have to use Foobar 2000 on my Laptop to play dsd128.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

I have noticed on both my Marantz 1608 and Denon 4300 that despite having Dolby Surround enabled, if either is presented with a source or format they consider to be 'foreign' to them, they do not turn on Dolby Surround upmixing unless I do it manually once. After that, they come on with that source or format.

I'm not saying that's the issue with your Multi-channel Flac files, just that that's how it works here.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I've heard the same in regards to Tidal's Atmos offerings. Seems like they were just quickly slapped together to jump on the Atmos bandwagon.

But music that was mixed well can sound really great. Dire Straits Brothers in Arms is a great example. Some of the Pink Floyd stuff is really good as well.

I probably have spent way more time than necessary making it work for the small collection that I have. But I like my gear to "just work" for whatever media I throw at it.
I got my hands on Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. It's DVD-A with Flac files, 5.1 channels, 96khz, 24 bit. I have it saved to my Google Drive, which I am accessing on my 2019 Shield Pro via the FX File Explorer app.

The files do not play natively through the app. It gives me the option of playing them through other installed apps. In my case, that is either Kodi or VLC. I haven't tried Kodi yet. They play perfectly with VLC however. I do not matrix anything to the height channels that isn't there natively, so I am getting the stock 5.1 from the files. Clear separation between the front soundstage and the rear. Using VLC, the files play without me leaving the FX File Explorer app.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I got my hands on Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. It's DVD-A with Flac files, 5.1 channels, 96khz, 24 bit. I have it saved to my Google Drive, which I am accessing on my 2019 Shield Pro via the FX File Explorer app.

The files do not play natively through the app. It gives me the option of playing them through other installed apps. In my case, that is either Kodi or VLC. I haven't tried Kodi yet. They play perfectly with VLC however. I do not matrix anything to the height channels that isn't there natively, so I am getting the stock 5.1 from the files. Clear separation between the front soundstage and the rear. Using VLC, the files play without me leaving the FX File Explorer app.
Nice!, enjoy it.

The issue here isn't can the Shield play it. It's can a single app play all audio files bit perfectly without adjusting the settings for various types. VLC seems to be pretty solid on the Shield. But going to a file explorer is not really
the experience most are looking for in the Shield. Did you notice if it was at 96khz? Some apps do ok with something above 48khz, but few can go below, ie standard flac. You need a player that doesn't use the default android player. I believe VLC is one of them. But the UI sucks from the couch.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Nice!, enjoy it.

The issue here isn't can the Shield play it. It's can a single app play all audio files bit perfectly without adjusting the settings for various types. VLC seems to be pretty solid on the Shield. But going to a file explorer is not really
the experience most are looking for in the Shield. Did you notice if it was at 96khz? Some apps do ok with something above 48khz, but few can go below, ie standard flac. You need a player that doesn't use the default android player. I believe VLC is one of them. But the UI sucks from the couch.

Ahh I see. I can access whatever else I need to from my Google Drive without the file explorer app, but this was just a quick and easy way to hear what it sounded like. I’ve got about 61TB of movies and TV shows that feed a Plex server via an rclone mount.

The VLC app isn’t the best experience. I downloaded one of the FLAC files directly to my shield and played it straight from VLC instead of the file explorer all. It’s has a very, very basic UI.

I checked the file via the VLC app on my MacBook as well. It reports the following:

Channels - 3F2R/LFE
Sample Rate - 96000 Hz
Bits per sample - 32

The track is Money for Nothing and is 512.5 MB.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yesterday I purchased the Nvidia Shield TV Pro. I have a Sony XBR-55X930D tv and the Yamaha RX-A860 receiver. My receiver is setup as a 3.1 channel setup. I have a few questions on the Nvidia Shield TV Pro setup:
1. Should I enable the Frame Rate Match (beta) when watching movies in MoviesAnywhere, Vudu or Netflix? or does my tv convert 60Hz to 24Hz without any issue?
2. On my Apple TV 4k, it outputs Dolby Atmos to my receiver, but with the Nvidia Shield Pro TV it only sends Dolby Digital Plus. Is this normal?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Flac is just a container the same as MLP and Dolby True HD, they all carry PCM signal that use roughly 2:1 data compression [Flac can be higher if set] to store files which can be recovered via decompression without any loss mathematically speaking.
I don't know what ripper you use but DVD-A Extractor can rip any DVD-A and re encode it to FLAC without any loss including the same sampling rate, and bit depth. Yes one can opt for a "downres" to play on certain older devices but certainly won't be needed to play it on the Shield.
I used DVDA Explorer. I then re-encoded the 6 individual WAVs with DTS HD MA Suite v2.0 to a dts file which then got packaged into FLAC. There was further tweak, from memory, to get the Squeezebox to accept and play the 5.1 FLAC.

TBH, I did this many moons ago and have no need for the process now since DVD-A is all but dead and I probably wouldn't buy any more discs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Shield freezing up

I got the shield pro earlier this week and am loving the video quality, but, every now and then the scrolling freezes on the home screen. The selection doesn’t move up or down. I’ve tried the physical remote and the app based remote, and neither work at that point. Only way to get out of it is to restart the shield. Anyone else having this issue? Thx

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got the shield pro earlier this week and am loving the video quality, but, every now and then the scrolling freezes on the home screen. The selection doesn’t move up or down. I’ve tried the physical remote and the app based remote, and neither work at that point. Only way to get out of it is to restart the shield. Anyone else having this issue? Thx

I have the 2019 tube version and also noticed that the remote will lock for a bit every once and a while. It will eventually unlock but I've not pinned down a repeatable pattern. For me lock ups generally occur after rapid scrolling but go away if you wait a bit. I suspect this is a software stack problem where the input command queue is overwhelmed and the command execution logic can't cope. That's why given some time it will clear up on it's own as the software likely has a timeout for remote commands. This is pure speculation on my part but I am familiar with software mechanics. Call what I said a general educated guess (at best).

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I use a Harmony but can't say I deal with this behavior. I got my shield at launch?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I'm thinking DSD 256 MCH might be too much to process for the Marantz. I only have SACD rips which are DSD 64 files in DSF which is a DOP format. The Marantz reports it as PCM at the input and a rather high sampling rate at 176.4khz for such file. Interestingly MrMC reports it at 352.8khz fs. I don't have any files that is higher than DSD 64 so I can't be sure what causing issues with your set up.
Yes, it appears the 7010 is limited to dsd64. I would have to use Foobar2000 to get the dsd128 to play directly to my AVR. Because MrMC does not play DSD files natively, this app would send those higher-end files to my AVR as PCM (DOP).

For the Oppo 203, I'm in the same boat, as I would either need to place these types of files on a Flash or External Hard Drive, or again use Foobar2000 to stream them directly to the player. The convenience of just directly playing it via MrMC has been my preference. There's no degradation in quality when playing in this manner as well.

Check out this site for various file types to download and play with.

http://www.2l.no/hires/

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Yesterday I purchased the Nvidia Shield TV Pro. I have a Sony XBR-55X930D tv and the Yamaha RX-A860 receiver. My receiver is setup as a 3.1 channel setup. I have a few questions on the Nvidia Shield TV Pro setup:
1. Should I enable the Frame Rate Match (beta) when watching movies in MoviesAnywhere, Vudu or Netflix? or does my tv convert 60Hz to 24Hz without any issue?
2. On my Apple TV 4k, it outputs Dolby Atmos to my receiver, but with the Nvidia Shield Pro TV it only sends Dolby Digital Plus. Is this normal?
1. If you have your motion settings correctly set up in your TV, you wouldn't need to use the manual FRM(beta), but I use the Refresh Rate App, personally (to take the load off my TV doing th econversion)
2. You should be getting Atmos (the DD+ variant, from streaming services, anyway) from streaming content that supports it

4581 - 4600 of 5003 Posts