AVS Forum banner

4821 - 4840 of 5840 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
You asked what beta, and I answered as best as I could. Would you have preferred your post with the questions go completely unanswered by anyone?
. . .
What you posted was fine.

What I'm talking about was the original post by JGrana that didn't say what it was about except to those in that beta group, who know what an eBeta is. That phrasing would be fine if posted in that nVidia beta test forum, where they do know. Here it was meaningless to the vast majority of us and needed to be explained.

If that post had simply started by saying, "I've just installed nVidia's latest private Beta . . ." the time wasted on this whole back-and-forth could have been avoided.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
What you posted was fine.

What I'm talking about was the original post by JGrana that didn't say what it was about except to those in that beta group, who know what an eBeta is. That phrasing would be fine if posted in that nVidia beta test forum, where they do know. Here it was meaningless to the vast majority of us and needed to be explained.

If that post had simply started by saying, "I've just installed nVidia's latest private Beta . . ." the time wasted on this whole back-and-forth could have been avoided.
Good lord. Let it go and move on.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Can someone tell me if there is a way to check your source resolution. Obviousy Shield upscales 720 and 1080, but what if I want to know what it is upscaling from? Like when I'm i'm watching tv on Hulu and am curious is the stream is in 720 or 1080? I can't use the info button for my tv since it just thinks everything coming from the Shield is 2160. Sometimes I'll be watching live stuff and it looks like **** and wonder if it's in 480 or something.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here's a question I've long had - do streaming devices such as the Shield continue to download data when the audio/video equipment connected to them (e.g. TV's, receivers, etc.) are turned off? For example, if I'm watching a movie and then, without shutting off the Shield or putting it to sleep, turn off my other equipment, will the Shield continue to download data which counts toward my ISP's data cap?

·
UHD Addict
37,422 Posts
Mine seems to stop playing once the connection to the TV is lost. When I come back to the title I am in the same spot as when I turned everything off.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Any eta when we can expect the new firmware?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Do you guys know how to verify the Netflix streaming quality through the Shield?
On my LG, Philips and TCL TVs its as easy as pressing the Info button on the remotes...
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
533 Posts
I apologize as I'm sure many of my questions have been asked/answered previously but I haven't yet figured out how to search within a thread on the upgraded AVS.

I've been a very happy Roku user for years, an Ultra for the last few, and the Ultra 2019 for a few months. I recently purchased a new Sony TV that does DV and was disappointed to learn that no stand alone Rokus support Dolby Vision. I also don't like the fact Roku is in a contract dispute with HBO over HBO Max.

For DV content and HBO Max I've been using the Android TV apps built in to my TV for the past couple days. It works, but it isn't all that stable. When using he built in apps it seems that to keep the Android UI and apps running smoothly the OS needs to be rebooted periodically. I watched a few episodes of Travelers on Netflix tonight and one time when it switched to the next episode it was very pixelated. A reboot solved everything.

This is my second Sony TV with the Android TV OS. The other was also pretty unstable, but it was pre DV so the apps didn't give me anything that Roku didn't offer so I just used the Roku for all streaming and the TV was very stable once I quit using the built in apps.

Feature wise the nVidia Shield Pro looks like it has all the features I would want. Obviously it has DV and I like app ecosystem of Android, but because of my Sony TVs my experience hasn't been all that great with Android TV. What is the stability like with the Shield?

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
Been having problems with Plex on my Shield 2019. When I try to restart something I started, from the beginning, it just crashes and cycles Plex back to my main Plex screen. Resuming is fine.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I apologize as I'm sure many of my questions have been asked/answered previously but I haven't yet figured out how to search within a thread on the upgraded AVS.

I've been a very happy Roku user for years, an Ultra for the last few, and the Ultra 2019 for a few months. I recently purchased a new Sony TV that does DV and was disappointed to learn that no stand alone Rokus support Dolby Vision. I also don't like the fact Roku is in a contract dispute with HBO over HBO Max.

For DV content and HBO Max I've been using the Android TV apps built in to my TV for the past couple days. It works, but it isn't all that stable. When using he built in apps it seems that to keep the Android UI and apps running smoothly the OS needs to be rebooted periodically. I watched a few episodes of Travelers on Netflix tonight and one time when it switched to the next episode it was very pixelated. A reboot solved everything.

This is my second Sony TV with the Android TV OS. The other was also pretty unstable, but it was pre DV so the apps didn't give me anything that Roku didn't offer so I just used the Roku for all streaming and the TV was very stable once I quit using the built in apps.

Feature wise the nVidia Shield Pro looks like it has all the features I would want. Obviously it has DV and I like app ecosystem of Android, but because of my Sony TVs my experience hasn't been all that great with Android TV. What is the stability like with the Shield?
I have 2 Shields (a 2017 and 2019 Pro) and 3 ATV4K’s. I prefer my ATV’s for many reasons but if you require bitstreamed passthrough Atmos the Shield does that while the ATV doesn’t. The apps on the ATV4K are more refined and solid than on the Google Play store which feeds my Shields and Sony Android TV OS but I can’t comment on HBO Max as I don’t use that one.

Finally, there’s an issue with Sony’s and DV that requires you to up your gamma setting a notch to compensate for it being slightly dark. Not everyone has this issue though so YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have 2 Shields (a 2017 and 2019 Pro) and 3 ATV4K’s. I prefer my ATV’s for many reasons but if you require bitstreamed passthrough Atmos the Shield does that while the ATV doesn’t. The apps on the ATV4K are more refined and solid than on the Google Play store which feeds my Shields and Sony Android TV OS but I can’t comment on HBO Max as I don’t use that one.

Finally, there’s an issue with Sony’s and DV that requires you to up your gamma setting a notch to compensate for it being slightly dark. Not everyone has this issue though so YMMV.

When you say the apps on the ATV4K are more "refined and solid", can you elaborate a little on what you mean? Do you mean the UI is better or are they more stable?

I guess my primary concern is the stability of the Android TV OS. In my experience with two Sony TVs (75x940D four years and 77A9G for a few weeks) the Android TV OS is not very stable. When using the only the HDMI inputs the TVs are rock solid. With my 940D I'd have to reboot it maybe once every couple months and only when the HDR mode wouldn't kick in automatically. on the A9G I've had one random reboot, but that's it. But when using the Android TV apps, the OS seems to have stability issues, app issues and crashes, random reboots, etc... Rebooting periodically seems to lessen this, but not completely.

I'm really kind of wondering if these issues are inherent in the Android TV OS, or are they a result of poor testing and implementation by Sony? After doing some Googling I'm guessing the problem is Sony and not Android TV because in the professional reviews and online store reviews there really isn't any mention of stability issues. But I really want to get some insights from AVS forum users as they are typically more power users.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
The Sony 940d came from the same generation as my 900e from 2016-2017, and the performance of Android TV compared to the Shield is night and day. So you're dealing with both the stability of the app, coupled with poor performance of the OS.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
When you say the apps on the ATV4K are more "refined and solid", can you elaborate a little on what you mean? Do you mean the UI is better or are they more stable?

I guess my primary concern is the stability of the Android TV OS. In my experience with two Sony TVs (75x940D four years and 77A9G for a few weeks) the Android TV OS is not very stable. When using the only the HDMI inputs the TVs are rock solid. With my 940D I'd have to reboot it maybe once every couple months and only when the HDR mode wouldn't kick in automatically. on the A9G I've had one random reboot, but that's it. But when using the Android TV apps, the OS seems to have stability issues, app issues and crashes, random reboots, etc... Rebooting periodically seems to lessen this, but not completely.

I'm really kind of wondering if these issues are inherent in the Android TV OS, or are they a result of poor testing and implementation by Sony? After doing some Googling I'm guessing the problem is Sony and not Android TV because in the professional reviews and online store reviews there really isn't any mention of stability issues. But I really want to get some insights from AVS forum users as they are typically more power users.
Re the Sony, I have a 930E which is just one year newer than your D and the Sony SoC was very underpowered.

Re the apps. I think Apple has a much more rigorous app approval process which results in a more stable and likely more secure finished product.

I don’t have any OS stability issues on either streaming device but I see a few here and there on Android apps. They are ultimately fixed but not as quickly as Apple. Obviously Apple is a mammoth company compared to Nvidia which might be the reason for that.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Obviously Apple is a mammoth company compared to Nvidia which might be the reason for that.
Unless you are side-loading, all apps and app updates go through Google. NVIDIA has absolutely nothing to do with it unless it is one of if their very own apps they are submitting (like NVIDIA Games).

The reason why certain apps like Disney+ and Peacock do not work on Hotfix or beta builds of the Shield firmware is that they only work on Google certified builds. Hotfix builds and beta builds do not receive that certification until their final version are submitted to Google for that certification.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Unless you are side-loading, all apps and app updates go through Google. NVIDIA has absolutely nothing to do with it unless it is one of if their very own apps they are submitting (like NVIDIA Games).

The reason why certain apps like Disney+ and Peacock do not work on Hotfix or beta builds of the Shield firmware is that they only work on Google certified builds. Hotfix builds and beta builds do not receive that certification until their final version are submitted to Google for that certification.
Yes, you’re right about that and Alphabet/Google is also a behemoth. Still, Apple is known for the rigor of their approval process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
UHD Addict
37,422 Posts
Do you guys know how to verify the Netflix streaming quality through the Shield?
On my LG, Philips and TCL TVs its as easy as pressing the Info button on the remotes...
Thanks in advance
You need to connect a keyboard. And if I remember correctly, the F4 key brings up the info in the top left corner.

Reactions: galonzo and asabrag

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thank you for all the responses!!

So to summarize it sounds like the stability issues I've experienced with the Android TV OS are primarily a result of poor implementation and/or SOC on the part of Sony and aren't reflective of the Android TV OS itself. Would it be safe to say that the stability of the Android TV OS is more or less similar to that of the regular Android phone OS on a decently spec'd phone?

As for apps, would it be safe to say they are also comparable in stability to apps on an Android phone? The apps that I would be using most are Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu (with Live TV), Vudu, Disney+, HBO Max.

Thanks!

4821 - 4840 of 5840 Posts